ebay CD projector advice needed please.

Will it or won't it work in Bulgaria? Which is the best option?

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Cameo
Super User!
Super User!

ebay CD projector advice needed please.

Postby Cameo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:34 pm

Ok , go with me on this one. We have a disused cinema in our village, plush seats, stage, etc, but not used for donkeys years. Some of 'us Brits' were talking the other night saying how brill it would be if we could clean up the cinema, lick of paint, etc. then get of of those CD playing 'thingys' that you see in clubs that are screwed to the ceiling and you can put in a cd somewhere and its projected onto a screen in front. The waffleing went.......... we could get the cinema up and running again, download some films in Bulgarian off the net, then have one day/night a week where we show films to the locals.

I now want to ebay buying this projector thingy, but dont know the technical words to type into the search bar. Tried overhead projectors, and it just came up with those old fashioned things they used in the arc.

So Im asking on here with all you techy peoples knowledge to help out. What should I be typing into ebay to find what I want. OR, is there some easier way of doing it, by laptop or something. Like a power point presentation. Oh, and if you do have any ideas, please can I have it in 'idiot speak' please, as Im not a techy ok.

Many thanks. Sure some of you will be able to help on this one.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
indesec
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby indesec » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:48 pm

Here is the link you need for ebay;

http://electronics.shop.ebay.co.uk/DVD-Home-Cinema__projector

However you may have problems, the first one coming to mind is the range at which you want to project, being a cinema it may be quite a way, and the lens may lose power and focus.

I have one at the hotel, my set-up is a normal dvd player which plugs into my projector, my screen is 8ft x 6ft, I`m projecting about 13ft away from screen, and although the projector has its own speakers they are not very good, so plugged into the dvd player I have a surround sound system, which leads to what may be a second problem, the sound, at the moment you probably have some sort of amplifier, but interfacing old technology with new may not be easy.

So you`ll need a complete sound system with new amplifier.

Before I go on, what is the size of the cinema? from projector box to screen, and width.

I always use new technology, but there will, I`m sure, be someone out there that can other other information.

Your ideas good, lets see if we can get it going somehow,

Regards

Steve and V

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
sparkss

Postby sparkss » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:06 pm

Barco is probally one of the best projectors around followed by Sony

They come with many types of lens to deal with the screen ratio and throw distance.
Front or rear projection screen is the question I would ask as well as screen format or screen size and whether you want to project video only or video and data which are both different in screen ratios.
Can you hang the projector from the roof bearing in mind the lens needs to be on level with the top of the screen?
For a one off you could hire a fastfold rear project screen a decent projector stick the projector on the stage plug it into a sound system and have a ball but in Bulgaria no idea where or whether they would turn up.

The good thing for your type of application is the advance in technology in the LCD projector market new technology LIGHTER KIT and brighter projectors means a lot of good kit redundant especally in the UK.

You can use a domestic lcd projector in a cinema in the same way as you could use a car speaker at a rock concert both give the same output but its not just right :x

For a search engine

Barco 1000
Barco 2:1 lens
Barco RCVDS
LCD Projector

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
regfrancis

Postby regfrancis » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:08 am

I'ts a nice daydream.. that a lot of people have BUT: YOU WILL NEED MORE THAN A LICK OF PAINT TO REVIVE AN OLD CINEMA TO THE STANDARD THAT PEOPLE WILL GO TO IT. (more like a million pounds for the work)
Instead:maybe set up a home cinema in your house and invite a few friends. You can buy a semi high definition projector for a thousand pounds new. Buy a sony BLUERAY rom for your desktop, ( if u have a very new and fast desktop). Virgin music in london sells BLUERAY MOVIES. or download.

Not such a romantic project but its realistic

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Cameo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Cameo » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:02 am

Yes, it is since we got our Bulsat in the house that has really made us think of doing something like this, as since the Bulsat was installed we have had lots of villagers asking if they can come and watch it, or run a cable off ours to their house so that they can watch it, or what football matches does it show, etc etc etc. Im not up for having half the village into my house, so that one is out. Hubby even suggested last night that it would be cheaper if the few brits who want to raise this project, just clubbed together and installed Bulsat into the cinema room, with a big screen telly. But then that led me to think about the logistics of this, for example who will be in charge of opening the building each day, how safe would the telly be in there, would it just dissapear one night, yes probably. Also if the cinema room was open all the time then it would need regular cleaning etc. We do all realise that it just may not be a viable exercise to re opne the cinema, but thought that a mention on here might come up with things that we have not thought about. Help us to think it through properly before approaching the Mayor.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
booboo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby booboo » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:11 pm

Make sure you pay for broadcast rights, as showing copyrighted material in this manner will be breaking the law unless you do.

Or perhaps you are of the opinion that it don't matter. You would be stealing if you put on a public performance in the way you suggest, and screwing companies of their rightful income, however unlikely, and is an offence punishable in the extreme by prison.

Hehe

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:29 pm

Would you be stealing if you didn't charge?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
indesec
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby indesec » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:40 pm

Ye Gods, yet another idea being more difficult by the righteous.

I take your point of copyright of course, but in a Bulgarian village, showing Bulgarian films, hardly think its competition for a multiplex.

Any ideas where these broadcast rates would be paid, and any ideas on price etc.

Just an idea, but as this was a cinema, and I know of several others, would there be old equipment that could be sourced and old films on reel etc.

Failing that, lets make our own films, but lets keep them clean, my first suggestion would be carry on Bulgaria. V hasn`t asked but would be suitable for Barbara windsor type parts, and I do a mean kenneth willaims.

Ok?, Now I`m wildly off topic, sorry about that. :)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:45 pm

We have a 200-seat theatre as part of our Village "Chitalishte". In the past it was used also as a cinema.

It is still in use for musical performances and the children's theatre visits sometimes from Shumen.

If I win the lottery I will do it up and run it as a cinema. I think you really would need a large investment to do it properly though.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
booboo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby booboo » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:12 pm

In response..

yes it would still be 'stealing' if the performance was not charged for, as it is taking away a revenue stream from the rights owners as it would be a public performance, a film for example that would be paid for should the invited viewers wish to watch by other means..i.e. pay tv or dvd.

As an example to the above though not directly the same, if I download a film, and then watch it (thats the point at which the offence occurs), I would not be justified in arguing that I would not have watched it if I had to pay for it, so therefore I didn't 'steal' it.

A better example....Pub's in the uk broadcasting football as an example, should (and possibly on the whole - do) pay for the right for the public performance rights, to make up for the lost revenue that might occur to the broadcaster from lost subscriptions. Pubs don't charge the viewers for such events.

Will try to supply the info for broadcast rights in due course, and possibly a fee may not be payable, if written permission is given for the performance.

Some people are up in arms about banks going belly up, stockmarket falling, how would you feel if your shares in SONY for example, are losing you money cus people are showing your movies for free.

I know its an example in the extreme, but its very valid.

Return to “Computers/Internet Access/Mobiles/TV/Video”