Which ones best Spectrum or Kamchia net? (Provadia area)

Will it or won't it work in Bulgaria? Which is the best option?

Moderator: Moderator

construction_help

Which ones best Spectrum or Kamchia net? (Provadia area)

Postby construction_help » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:41 am

Hi i am currently on Spectrum but getting very p*ssed off with them as its on and off like a yoyo. I have to admit they give you refunds but you have to go to Varna so it costs you more than its worth in Petrol which they know.

I know 4 people who have swaped to Kamchia net but only for a few weeks so wanted some feed before I give spectrum the chop even though it cost me a fortune just to set it up.

Thanks

rizhoff
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby rizhoff » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:06 am

Hi,

I was on Kamchia net for one year. No problems at all. I was on the cheapest plan (1Mbs), the speed was great (3 laptops were connected). It was not guaranteed speed, but it never dropped down.
I was using 24dBi grid antenna, WiFi router and UPS – so I had internet on my laptop even when there was no electricity in the village.

Stan

SooToo

Postby SooToo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:16 am

I think you'll discover that Kamchia net use Spectrum as their main provider.
Basically, the way Kamchia net operates is this. One customer gets a high speed connection from the ISP. That customer then re-broadcasts through a router/network card and restricts each channel to a max speed. e.g. if the original customer has a 10Mb speed and then divides it down to 5 other users via the router, then the 5 other users can only expect a maximum speed of 2Mb. It's more likely that the original customer will divide it down to 10 users which will give a maximum 1Mb speed.
I know of one or two people on Kamchia and they achieve a typical max speed of 800Kb to 1Mb.
It's possible that the person in the village who has the high speed connection for Kamchia, actually uses a landline from BTK/Vivatel as their source.
We use Spectrum and our typical speed is in excess of 5Mb for download and in excess of 2Mb for upload. It's also generally reliable.

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:23 am

...and Spectrum is now owned by MTel, I think. Last I saw it was subject to regulatory approval, so I may be wrong.

VickyC
Super User!
Super User!

Postby VickyC » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:25 am

We have Kamchia and this is the second month and it has also been up and down like a yoyo. They say it is from electricity outages, problems with eon and needing a new motherboard in the server in our area etc etc. We are hoping it is just teething problems because when its on we can download, but it has been having speed problems lately.

Hope it improves in service, speed and less down time..........

rizhoff
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby rizhoff » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:08 am

Kamchia net is using Spectrum net as a provider, but there is nothing wrong with it. Kamchia has it’s guaranteed bandwidth and I had no problems with their internet. Pricewise there was big difference between Spectrum and Kamchia. Spectrum was asking huge amount for installation and equipment. Kamchia – 0 leva. We negotiated the monthly fee and it was …. very cheap.
Our hotspot was located near Royak. It was not heavy loaded and I suppose there was UPS. May be that’s why we had no problem with electricity outages and the speed.

Spectrum is owned by MTel so you may check if you can get discount if you use MTel phone services together with internet. (I was a business customer of both companies and don’t like their attitude. I prefer smaller companies with personal attention to the customer, not to be “just another brick in the wall”)

Regards,
Stan

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:51 pm

MTel just got regulatory approval to buy Spectrum, as reported in the Sofia Echo today...

MTel approval

construction_help

spectrum

Postby construction_help » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:07 pm

So who knows what will happen now is it for the better or for the worse :roll:

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:52 pm

Well, we have had negligible service with Homebox for over two weeks. If the Mtel service peoples’ theory is correct and it is the box itself that is the problem, we have been waiting all that time to get a replacement delivered to our local store. Still, we would be stuck with GPRS as 3G is virtually impossible in this area.

Kamchia came this morning to provide us with a 5mbps service and it works great (a 5.5MB Praktiker flyer downloaded in approx. 10 seconds and 58MB of MS updates in under two minutes confirms the speed). We have direct sight to an antenna at Ravna, which probably helps.

It is so nice to have websites appear almost immediately, like we had up until almost four years ago, in the UK.

Mtel can have their Homebox back and lets hope there is no problem (the contract finished seven months ago).

Btw, the installer for Kamchia denies that they have any relationship with Spectrum.

Price is 240 leva per year or 30 leva install Plus 30 leva per month.

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:11 pm

Do Bulsatcom not offer internet services in your area yet?

Return to “Computers/Internet Access/Mobiles/TV/Video”