Problem with Skype

Will it or won't it work in Bulgaria? Which is the best option?

Moderator: Moderator

owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:15 am

A few people have recently had problems with the new skype. They keep updating it and it seems to work on some computers and not on others. I don't think they've heard of the term 'If it aint broke,don't fix it' :lol:
If anyone has future problems with Skype, you can access it online via this site without having to install Skypes buggy updates:
https://imo.im/

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Yes, there have been a lot of problems with the latest Skype.

Once you upgrade "manually" from Skype 4 to Skype 5 then you forgo the ability to turn down and decline an upgrade. Skype 5 upwards is automatic upgrades so you then get any crap/quirks that come with it. You cannot stop it.

Forced upgrades are Taboo and frowned upon in the Internet as this is a great way to infect peoples computers and put stuff on there for your benefit not the users.

Even Microsoft gives you the option to upgrade or not and there are no softwares that do a forced "you have no choice" upgrade.....apart from Skype.

Dangerous game and why a lot of people are moving away from Skype !

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:13 pm

Possibly to do with skype's current/pending takeover by a large company who's name escapes me (yahoo is rining a bell but not very loudly. Facebook is also ringing a bell), i did see it on the news in the last few weeks but just can't remember honest! :lol: , alzheimers at 40, oh dear!!!!

Let's see, if it was facebook that bought skype then that explains forced upgrades, zuckerberg wants to know everything about everyone so he can ram his specifically targeted adverts down your throat
Last edited by spantrout on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MOONLIGHT

Postby MOONLIGHT » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:22 pm

Is this a viable option?

http://www.voipbuster.com/en/index.html

regards

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:40 pm

MOONLIGHT wrote:Is this a viable option?

http://www.voipbuster.com/en/index.html

regards

Kind of. It offers the same services as Skype and roughly the same costs...But it doesn't offer the monthly subscriptions that give you endless free calls to the uk. I think we pay €3 a month with Skype and the missus phones mother in the Uk nearly every day for hours. Voipbuster , although only 1p a minute would cost us about €30 a month in missus-mother calls.

Free to the USA though.

And free-free most people are on Skype and few on VoipBuster so your friends would have to have voipbuster too.

I think the reality is Skype is the best and cheapest, but this "no choice" upgrade, and new owners, is rather disconcerting.

I just deleted Skype 5 and reinstalled Skype 4 then ticked the NO UPGRADES box (which is not available on 5). If it ain't broke as someone said.

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:45 pm

but if it ain't broke brian, someone at skype will break it (skype 4) or remove support, then what choice?

owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:09 pm

Skype is still the best VOIP option out there.
I've removed it completely from my computer, as I said go on https://imo.im/ sign in to your Skype account and you have Skype without the buggy software.

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:10 pm

spantrout wrote:but if it ain't broke brian, someone at skype will break it (skype 4) or remove support, then what choice?

Hopefully by then Google voive will have gone international or voipbuster will have subscriptions or there will be another viable alternative on the market.

One thing that always sticks in my mind what Bill Gates once said.

"In the world of software you have to make the most you can in the shortest time you can, because there is always another garage based software that is in the making that can take you out at the knees".

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:24 pm

That's all good and well brian, but what i'd like to know is who is/has bought skype, cos that would make a difference in the way it operates, see my comment vis a vis facebook. (i'll bet u a pint in 18mths facebook start charging subscriptions) Zuckerberg has leveraged ads on facebook and now needs something new (skype?) and then he has the full set and can start charging, as if he needs to make money, but there we go!

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:28 pm

spantrout wrote:That's all good and well brian, but what i'd like to know is who is/has bought skype, cos that would make a difference in the way it operates, see my comment vis a vis facebook. (i'll bet u a pint in 18mths facebook start charging subscriptions) Zuckerberg has leveraged ads on facebook and now needs something new (skype?) and then he has the full set and can start charging, as if he needs to make money, but there we go!

Mr Gates and Monstersoft bought it......I agree, it won't be long before Faecesbook charge subscriptions and they are looking for a VOIP solution after Skype was bought....How about a BG version Skypeski :D
Last edited by brianj42 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Computers/Internet Access/Mobiles/TV/Video”