Downloading Amazon Kindle books in BG

Will it or won't it work in Bulgaria? Which is the best option?

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Sapper
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Sapper » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:05 pm

Hi, thanks Nikki, I will keep trying. I am going back on Google to see if I can find out more. I would think that if my Kindle works here then any other would but who knows? We have friends who live in this area coming back in March and they have the same model so we can ask them if I don't manage it before. Thanks again. Pat.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
battert28

Postby battert28 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:36 pm

Hi there,

I believe a 3g device can use either wi-fi or 3g

A wifi device will not be able to use 3G

3G:-

This is a in the air data connection, similar I guess to mobile network coverage, smart phones use this data!. You would usually have to buy a data allowance from a mobile network and pay monthly. I would guess the coverage would be very poor in most Bulgarian villages.

wi-fi:-

will require an internet connection to your home and a box in your home to transmit the signal. The range of these is quite short although you might be able to pick up internet from a close neighbour, most would be security protected however.

So unless your willing to pay for internet and a wifi router in your home then you will not be able to use the wi-fi kindle. You might I guess be able to use free wifi available commercially in some restaurants to download the book for reading at home. maybe you can transfer a book from the 3G kindle to the wifi one. Does it have a memory card?, or maybe bluetooth?

hope this helps a little

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
lizandy

Postby lizandy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:13 pm

Pat,
Do you have a laptop computer at home???? If so like Nikki asked can you use it in any room or is it plugged into one room only with a cable.

The reason you can get books on your 3G Kindle is that it downloads the books the same way a mobile phone works which is free on the Kindle anywhere in the world. Your Kindle is the more expensive model which is 3G and wi-fi.

No the Kindle does not have a memory card nor is it Bluetooth.

Andy

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
oldtimer
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby oldtimer » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:41 pm

the 3g kindle will go to 3g if it cant pick up wifi, it has both options on it, did your kindle from Tesco come with a lead? the lead should have at both ends connections for a usb port, one into the kindle and one into any usb port on your computer you can then download onto your kindle without wifi just using your computer.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Sapper
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Sapper » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:46 pm

Thanks Lizandy and Battert28, unfortunately our computer is not a laptop so it looks like we are stuck. At least now I understand what the problem is. I think the best thing I can do is send it back to our daughter and put the difference towards a 3G model. We have the reciepts and packaging is intact. :D Pat.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Sapper
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Sapper » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:52 pm

Sorry Oldtimer just seen your post. yes it does have a cable with it but when I tried it in the computer it didn't do anything, I think it said "your device is fully charged" or something like that, so I assumed it was just another way of charging up the battery. I will give it another try. Thanks. Pat.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:55 pm

i know this might sound a stupid question but have you registered it. you need to go to amazon kindle page and register your credit card and email etc on there page, then you need to register you email address on your kindle it does sometimes register your kindle automatically once you have registered with amazon. Hope this helps would not be without mine, once I got it work :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Sapper
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Sapper » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:02 pm

Yes I did register it but it I didn't put credit card details on (don't think it asked!) I will go back and check. I had none of these probs with mine as I bought direct from Amazon. I agree with you Oldtimer it is great and like magic getting loads of books, I never need to pay as I get all the free ones :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:27 pm

Good luck, :lol: I hate anything techincal :lol: :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:56 pm

[quote="Sapper"]Sorry Oldtimer just seen your post. yes it does have a cable with it but when I tried it in the computer it didn't do anything, I think it said "your device is fully charged" or something like that, so I assumed it was just another way of charging up the battery. I will give it another try. Thanks. Pat.[/quote]

From the above, it looks like your pc hasn't recognised the kindle.
Plug it in again via the USB then click on my computer. It should show up as an extra drive. If it doesn't, you need to tell your pc to connect it.
Sorry, I don't recall how off the top of my head but some clever person on here should be able to tell you.

Return to “Computers/Internet Access/Mobiles/TV/Video”