Downloading Amazon Kindle books in BG

Will it or won't it work in Bulgaria? Which is the best option?

Moderator: Moderator

Sapper
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Sapper » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:03 am

Thanks Slaphead I will do that tomorrow as it is the middle of the night now, when most normal people are asleep. I have just finished watching all three dvds of the first series of Downton Abbey! (another Xmas pressie) :) Pat.

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:17 am

Sapper wrote:Hi all, I have had a 3G Kindle for a long time and it is great. but my husband has been bought a Wi Fi Kindle which is different to mine ( it was bought in the UK at Tescos)
I have opened an Amazon account for him and registered the Kindle but I cannot find a wi fi network to download anything. It says 0 networks on the settings list of networks. Lower down it says "manually add a Network" I have no idea how to find a network.
Does this mean we are out of range and cannot use the Kindle?
Any idiot proof advice please? Pat.

Hi Sapper, I reckon that Hubby being an ex Royal Engineer can either build or blow up this problem!

Firstly, read this link which will explain why your 3G Kindle most probably works and your WiFi one does not (at the moment anyway).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/245383/whats_the_difference_between_3g_and_wifi.html

So, according to that link, your 3G is connecting to a signal that is not coming from your computer, but a mast like the one where your mobile signal comes from. (This is all news to me too as I knew nothing about 3G before reading this).

Therefore, my WILD guess is that as you do not have a Laptop, but a Desktop set-up, you most probably have a hard wired connection from your Router to the back of your Desktop computer?

Modern Laptops have WiFi already built in, but for your Desktop to become a WiFi computer it is 'usual' for one to have to add something called a DONGLE which will send out a WiFi from the Desktop signal that your Kindle can find and use.

I was looking at Tesco Kindle on-line just now, but do not know which model you have. If there is by any chance a USB connector on this Kindle then all you would need is the cable to connect it to your Desktop computer, but you would not be WiFi and restricted to the length of your USB cable.

Anyway, one STEP at a time. First let us/me know whether or not you have a cable connecting your Router to your Desktop. This might be grey or white in colour but connects similar to a BT telephone socket.

If you do not have a cable connection then, that would indicate that there is a WiFi connection that you/we need to find.

Lastly, tell us the model name/number of this Tesco Kindle as to enable further internet research.

Good luck.

Ps. I am no computer expert either and others might shoot me down in flames, but I am working from my version of logic.

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:46 am

Just trying to find out how a MTEL Homebox works and found this that you had posted in the Homebox thread.

Sapper wrote:Hi B52, yes my hubby sorted out the phone ok, he'd plugged in a cable that wasn't required so was a hole short!
We didn't pay anything for the homebox, it's free. We paid two months rental in advance and that was all. The only problem we had was not having a Lichna Karta number, the computer won't process the application form without one, passport number was no good and our copies of old LK number weren't accepted. We used a "volunteers" number after a lot of messing about. They know me well in the Mtel shop as I have had an account for a few years which helped.
We have saved a lot of money on the internet and phone since getting the homebox. Our last bill for rental, phone calls and internet was 23.30 leva, we have the computer on a lot but don't use the phone much as we have Skype.
Just go in and ask, I think you will find it's still the same. :D Pat

Therefore, I am confused as to whether the Homebox works as your Router and of course, you will have cables coming out of it as your land-line telephone is connected to it.

I still reckon it is best to see what if any cables come from this Homebox to the back of your Desktop computer.

I can't find any 'workable' information on Homebox on the MTEL site, but perhaps someone will explain what is its function and whether it is a WiFi set-up etc.?

I'm sure we'll get to the end of this problem eventually. Just spent a week tweaking a satellite dish and now have my HD channels working and if I can fix that, you can fix a 'mere' Kindle. :lol:

Brit_trip
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Brit_trip » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:49 am

Moscow_Wolf wrote:
Sapper wrote:Hi all, I have had a 3G Kindle for a long time and it is great. but my husband has been bought a Wi Fi Kindle which is different to mine ( it was bought in the UK at Tescos)
I have opened an Amazon account for him and registered the Kindle but I cannot find a wi fi network to download anything. It says 0 networks on the settings list of networks. Lower down it says "manually add a Network" I have no idea how to find a network.
Does this mean we are out of range and cannot use the Kindle?
Any idiot proof advice please? Pat.

Hi Sapper, I reckon that Hubby being an ex Royal Engineer can either build or blow up this problem!

Firstly, read this link which will explain why your 3G Kindle most probably works and your WiFi one does not (at the moment anyway).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/245383/whats_the_difference_between_3g_and_wifi.html

So, according to that link, your 3G is connecting to a signal that is not coming from your computer, but a mast like the one where your mobile signal comes from. (This is all news to me too as I knew nothing about 3G before reading this).

Therefore, my WILD guess is that as you do not have a Laptop, but a Desktop set-up, you most probably have a hard wired connection from your Router to the back of your Desktop computer?

Modern Laptops have WiFi already built in, but for your Desktop to become a WiFi computer it is 'usual' for one to have to add something called a DONGLE which will send out a WiFi from the Desktop signal that your Kindle can find and use.

I was looking at Tesco Kindle on-line just now, but do not know which model you have. If there is by any chance a USB connector on this Kindle then all you would need is the cable to connect it to your Desktop computer, but you would not be WiFi and restricted to the length of your USB cable.

Anyway, one STEP at a time. First let us/me know whether or not you have a cable connecting your Router to your Desktop. This might be grey or white in colour but connects similar to a BT telephone socket.

If you do not have a cable connection then, that would indicate that there is a WiFi connection that you/we need to find.

Lastly, tell us the model name/number of this Tesco Kindle as to enable further internet research.

Good luck.

Ps. I am no computer expert either and others might shoot me down in flames, but I am working from my version of logic.

Yes that sounds about right .The 3g is available world wide as it runs along side the mobile signal (usually the network used for mobile browsing) its been 'given' away with the Kindle as they will soon announce '4g' (but thats another story)
So anywhere in the world you can download books (mobile network allowing) .
Now with a wi-fi version you'll need a 'wi-fi access point' this can be found (over here)in public in mac Donalds, Costa coffee, Starbucks or BT Openzone. Or ,you can change your router to a wireless one. The advantage of wifi is its much faster than 3g, but in the case of 'e-books' theyre not huge files to start with.
If I was in BG I'd probably go for the 3g version, you would be able to download where ever you can get a mobile signal,rather than trying to foind a wifi signal.

Hope this helps :D

BT

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:12 am

This appears to be a useful guide and troubleshooter link from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200690850

Sapper
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Sapper » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:01 am

Hi Moscow Wolf, thanks for the link it explains things very clearly as regards the differences with Wi Fi and 3G.
I liked your first suggestion best re blowing it up 8O
The Kindle Jack has is the 89 pound one on the Tesco site, it just says Kindle on the box and a long serial number B00E 1501 1435 3LJC. By the looks of things it is too much hassle to get a Wi Fi signal enhancer as suggested on the above site. I think we just have to face it that we are in a bad area for a network and I don't fancy going backwards and forwards to get access.
The Homebox is a mystery to me, it has three cables coming out of the back and what looks like a small sticking up aerial.
We tried putting in the USB cable and it does show up as a device on the computer but indicates a very low amount of power and nothing else happens.
Like Brit_trip said the 3G version is better for BG so I will de register the Kindle and ask our daughter to exchange it for one of those.
Thanks for all your help Moscow Wolf but I just can't get my head round computerised language or anything to do with wires! and Jack says he would rather read a "proper book" :evil:
At least this will be helpful for people considering getting a Kindle, it is worth paying the extra for the 3G and you easily make up the money you have spent by getting all the free books, it is brilliant. All the best Pat.

DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:08 am

Pat hi again
You said you can't be bothered with the toing and froing for a wifi signal I guess you meant, however it wouldn't be that much bother surely, as you only need this when you want to download the books right?

I bought a kindle for Darren for Xmas back in Oct, but from then until Xmas day I 'bought' about 40 free books from Amazon.co.uk and then on Xmas day he connected to our wifi and in minutes all those books were downloaded to the machine. No more need for the wifi until he has got through them, and in the mean time, we can still surf the net on the pc and order more freebies, ready for the next download, which of course is instant for us, but you can do it next time you're in town ;)

Just a thought.
Nikki

Sapper
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Sapper » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:27 am

Hi Nikki, that sounds right, we will have to see where we can get a signal next time we go into town. I know what you mean as I download a lot of books onto mine when the wireless is turned off then later on I remember to turn it on and like you say it takes only seconds for them to transfer onto the Kindle. Technology is wonderful isn't it?
I am trying to sort it for Jack as he came back from a UK visit full of a cold and has given up the will to live. :wink: So we wont be going anywhere for a while. Pat.

DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:30 am

Aww bless 'im :lol:
I really hope you get it sorted. I don't know where you are but maybe if someone is nearby and driving through they could pick it up and pop into town and save poor Jack (and you I suspect ;) )

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:31 am

Hi sapper, no problem, I always learn something myself researching these things and I haven't not much else to do, I find it a pleasure trying to help as long as I don't confuse the issue further.

Whether or not you decide to persevere with this WiFi Kindle or exchange it for a 3G is entirely your choice, but I reckon that if you had some 'youngster' in your area, they would have it working in 5 minutes, just the same as we used to show our parents how the TV remote control worked. :lol:

Anyway, from your description of the Homebox, I am convinced that it is a ROUTER do to the small antennae on it and therefore, in my theory, you should be able to get a WiFi signal directly from it to the Kindle, but it will require manual setting up as you have already said that was the option being offered in an earlier post.

This link (below) will help you understand a little better how the ROUTER works and what its function is. However, your WiFi is protected which in principle, it is like having a padlock on your gate insofar this will stop other folk using your Internet WiFi connection free of charge. Therefore setting it up manually will require a password (for ease of explanation). This should be written on your Homebox contract and even might be a 'password' you chose yourself.

Anyway, I fully understand your reluctance to mess with it, but before sending it back, see if someone local can set it up for you as it seems a shame (to me) to have to return a gift and exchange it.

Your Husband made a good point as I also can't stand the thought of reading a book in computerised form. I want pages, book-markers from discarded cigarette boxes and silver paper and whatnot and I want to be able to turn pages in the old fashioned way. Plus when desperate, you can use the pages for many other things. :lol:

Finally, the link.

http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/bc/bcs6p3.html

Return to “Computers/Internet Access/Mobiles/TV/Video”