Downloading Amazon Kindle books in BG

Will it or won't it work in Bulgaria? Which is the best option?

Moderator: Moderator

DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:50 am

Moscow_Wolf wrote:Anyway, from your description of the Homebox, I am convinced that it is a ROUTER do to the small antennae on it and therefore, in my theory, you should be able to get a WiFi signal directly from it to the Kindle, but it will require manual setting up as you have already said that was the option being offered in an earlier post.

I agree MW, it sounds just like a router, and so wifi should be available once set up for it. Where in BG are you Pat if you don't mind saying?

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:53 am

Sapper wrote:I am trying to sort it for Jack as he came back from a UK visit full of a cold and has given up the will to live. :wink: So we wont be going anywhere for a while. Pat.

Sorry MOD for the hijack, but I must instruct the females in the HUGE difference between a Female Cold and MAN FLU. :roll:

He needs constant attention, you should keep him warm in front of a roaring fire, feed him hot soups and drinks every 30 minutes, if he wants anything YOU must obey during this delicate period of MAN FLU illness. All his home tasks must be suspended until he fit enough again to walk and fend for himself. This could be anything from 7 days to 7 months. :lol:

You have been warned. Now, how can I re-KINDLE this post to get it back on topic. You MUST read him bedtime stories from your 3G Kindle. :wink:

DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:54 am

Moscow_Wolf wrote:
Sapper wrote:I am trying to sort it for Jack as he came back from a UK visit full of a cold and has given up the will to live. :wink: So we wont be going anywhere for a while. Pat.

Sorry MOD for the hijack, but I must instruct the females in the HUGE difference between a Female Cold and MAN FLU. :roll:

He needs constant attention, you should keep him warm in front of a roaring fire, feed him hot soups and drinks every 30 minutes, if he wants anything YOU must obey during this delicate period of MAN FLU illness. All his home tasks must be suspended until he fit enough again to walk and fend for himself. This could be anything from 7 days to 7 months. :lol:

You have been warned. Now, how can I re-KINDLE this post to get it back on topic. You MUST read him bedtime stories from your 3G Kindle. :wink:

:lol: :roll: Whateva!

Sapper
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Sapper » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:10 pm

Thanks Moscow Wolf, the link does look like it would work with the Homebox but like you say it would need someone who is familiar with these things (by the way what makes you think I know how to use a remote control?) only kidding.
I will let you know how we get on but as things are at the mo Jack is past caring and is dosed up with Benolyn so I am talking to myself when passing on all the advice.
I am reluctant to return the Kindle as it was a gift and it doesn't seem very nice to do that so I will wait until Jack is feeling better and we will try to sort it out.
It is strange but I also miss turning the pages on a real book and sometimes automatically try to do that on the Kindle.
Thanks Nikki for your sympathy :) Pat

Brit_trip
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Brit_trip » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:13 pm

Moscow_Wolf wrote:

Sorry MOD for the hijack, but I must instruct the females in the HUGE difference between a Female Cold and MAN FLU. :

OMG ,you mean to say you have Man Flu in BG? I thought it was contained to GB

http://petercobley.com/wp-content/uploa ... anflu1.jpg

Tesco do these if that helps?

:lol: :lol:

Sapper
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Sapper » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:16 pm

Brit_trip, I had a laugh at that but Jack was not amused :( I might even send for the kit if it works without Wi Fi.
Back on topic we are actually venturing out to a bar/restaurant that Jack thinks has Wi Fi so we will see. Pat.

Sapper
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Sapper » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:31 pm

Well we went out earlier to the afore mentioned bar where my husband thought he recalled seeing a Wi Fi access notice advertised. He was correct and the waitress happily gave us the password. I typed in the network name and password and voila! the twenty two free books I had downloaded earlier from Amazon magically transferred onto the Kindle 8O After all the angst I have been through the last couple of days I can't believe how simple it was.
I still don't understand how there can be a signal less than ten minutes down the road and not a sign of one at our house but never mind, I got dinner and a couple of Zagorkas out of it.
So thank you all for the moral support and advice you are wonderful. You were right Dannia it was not as difficult as I thought, thanks.
Jack said if he had been fully operational he would have remembered earlier about the bar. He went off to bed with his Kindle and a hot toddy, sadly the nearest he will get to hot totty. :D Pat.

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:47 pm

Great ending to my evening, well done. :wink:

DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:01 pm

:P BRILLIANT news Pat, really pleased for you that you have found a solution and not too far away, you could easily go for a walk for the next download if you don't want to pay out anything ;)

Nikki

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:06 am

Now that the pressure is off and you've managed to download your Kindle books, I found another link with video clip that 'might' assist you to set up the Kindle with that USB cable you tried.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_k3land_trans_usb?nodeId=200505520&#usb

Concerning the THREE cables coming out of the Homebox. You just need to follow the cables and see which one (if any of them) go into your Desktop computer.

One cable will be from your outside internet antenna.

One 'obviously' will be the power supply from the homebox to the electricity socket

The other one is at my best guess, the cable (Ethernet) connection from the Homebox to your computer.

If my guesses and assumptions are correct then, I think that this cable would override your WiFi and why the Kindle can't find a signal.

The easiest options are - continue to use the local bar or, get someone who knows how to set-up the WiFi for you. It might be that you would have to unplug a cable to get the WiFi and then plug the cable back in again when you want your computer internet connection.

Best I can do working virtually blind, but I am confident that you will eventually sort it all out. :wink:

Return to “Computers/Internet Access/Mobiles/TV/Video”