Contacting Microsoft

Will it or won't it work in Bulgaria? Which is the best option?

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
marymo
Super User!
Super User!

Contacting Microsoft

Postby marymo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:57 pm

Hi all
once again need to pick the brains of you computer wizzkids. Just before coming home to Ireland we left our laptop into a shop in Varna for some "maintainence". All seemed fine until a day or two ago when we recieved a screen message that our Windows programe was a 30 day temporary offer.....obviously the Varna shop had deleted our original and put on the temporary package. Underneath the laptop is number stating "product key". We are having no luck in contacting Microsoft using this number.
So, good people, what do we do now.....have no other back up discs.....what exactly IS this "product key". ?
As always....all help appreciated.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:05 am

A product key is the number required to activate your copy of whatever software it is, be it an Operating system or Office or Photoshop. The key is entered during the installation process basically to allow the programme to be installed/activated.

What you can do now is complain to the shop, unlikely if your not in BG

Or re-purchase and activate the new copy on your PC, which should be able to be done on the Microsoft site, probably under a heading of something like "purchase full version of ....."

Or run your windows unactivated, but then you will lose some functionality.

Having thought about this for another 2 mins, it may be the shop has not activated your copy of windows (if that is the programme), windows requires to be activated within 30days.

Do I need to activate Windows after making a hardware change?

Maybe. When you make a significant hardware change to your computer, such as upgrading the hard disk and memory at the same time, you might be required to activate Windows again. For more information, see Activate Windows 7 on this computer.

this answer was taken from this page -

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -questions

hope this helps

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Simonita
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Simonita » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:15 am

Last week I had a message when I started my PC saying that because of "significant hardware changes" I needed to re-validate my copy of Windows. This is despite the fact that I have made no hardware changes at all for many years. The activation process was fairly straightforward except that it is an on-line process. The message with the crucial re-activation link appeared before Windows fully loads, whereas my internet connection starts after Windows loads....

What I would suggest is that you follow any links on your message to get the programme re-validated. Having bought a bona fide copy, you shouldn't have to pay anything. Have the product key to hand so that you can enter it if needed.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:20 am

Simonita wrote
Having bought a bona fide copy, you shouldn't have to pay anything. Have the product key to hand so that you can enter it if needed.

This is not strictly true.

Most Microsoft (windows) products are now only good for 1 install on 1 PC(unless extra installs are purchased) (read the small print on your copy). back-up discs can be used to re-install on the same PC if you have them without problem. If it was a download purchase then you have a problem.

If the shop has removed the original and re-installed another copy there is no certainty it's bona fide.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Malky
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Malky » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Hi, having had the same problem, (I was too busy for a while), my 30 day expiry went as well. I had the same problems, so resorted to seeking alternative methods on the internet.

There is a small program that will stop this happening and will reset your computer back to within the 30 day period, so you can register it no problem.

If you do have a problem after doing this or need the name of the program, please PM me. I am at work at the moment and don't have the information here with me.

Cheers,

Malky

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:41 pm

essentially any restore (back up) point on your PC should do the same without downloading anything, IF you have a restore (backup) point set.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:08 pm

Malky wrote:
There is a small program that will stop this happening and will reset your computer back to within the 30 day period, so you can register it no problem.

Not that I would condone it, but there is also another small program which tells the computer not to worry, everything is ok, don't contact Microsoft, and when microsoft run their authentication software it tells them that all is ok, nothing to see here, b**ger off back to the States. :lol:

I had the same problem as the original OP and Microsoft said tough titty you have to buy another licence. I wouldn't mind but it was the only copy of legal windows I have ever owned, but Windows 7 is also the most secure and MS Sneaky...But not as clever as the other side :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:16 pm

that may be so Brianj42, but BG copies of windows have a tendancy to knacker your comp, don't ask why, i have no idea, but I know my g/f has gone thru 2 comps in 4 yrs with BG copies of windows, no virus, no defunct hardware just bad windows!, all gotten from BG comp stores.

My first question would be did the shop really remove and replace windows?

if so why without authority?

and if they did so without authority why put a trial version?

Plus it might help if the OP was to suggest what kind of "maintainance" it was, as that may suggest liability with the shop or the OP.

Any standard repair does not immediately require the OS being removed unless the hard drive was removed/wiped/replaced.
Last edited by spantrout on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Fen

Postby Fen » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:19 pm

Try changing the date on your computer to within the 30 day limit and activating windows with your product key on your laptop.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:27 pm

That's a good idea Fen but if it's a hooky copy and you activate it you'll end up with nothing

Return to “Computers/Internet Access/Mobiles/TV/Video”