Contacting Microsoft

Will it or won't it work in Bulgaria? Which is the best option?

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:52 pm

spantrout wrote:
My first question would be did the shop really remove and replace windows?

if so why without authority?

and if they did so without authority why put a trial version?

More than likely. Because they can and you haven't told them not to !

Its the lazy technicians way of fixing problems. Unfortunately working on computers, a fix can take 10 minutes, or have you pulling your hair out all day. I have noticed BG technicians tend to try the first and then just blast the PC. Many a poor person has lost the lot and then been greeted by the shoulder shrug.

A proper tech, if he has to blat a pc, would take all the data off first, then flatten, then put the info back on. But with the computer monkeys I have met very few will bother.

If its a copy of Win7 they put on there then they aren't trial versions as such, they have a 30 day activation and if you don't activate, it doesn't stop, it just cuts the user down to minimum applications. They also load a clever little patch which tells microsoft what you are using and if it sees its a hooky copy then it deactivates it. As I said, there is a patch to stop this happening but you have to be computer savvy as MS brought out a patch to combat this patch. After all, we wouldn't want to chip away at Microsofts $40Billion turnover.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Fen

Postby Fen » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:53 pm

I have 1 or 2 30 day trial programs on my computer which I hardly ever use so don't want to buy them and when I want / need to use them just change the date on my computer and they work. It may not work with an operating system or for activation but even if the OP has to change the date once a month to keep it running until they get back to Bulgaria and go back to the shop to complain it might work.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:58 pm

It would be good if the OP posted what the changes/repairs were, then a more assured answer could be given

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:04 pm

And what version of windows we are talking about. If its XP or previous then it can be sorted without phoning MS :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:10 pm

are you now suggesting chipping at the $40 billion Brian? shame on you :twisted:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:16 pm

spantrout wrote:are you now suggesting chipping at the $40 billion Brian? shame on you :twisted:

Not really. I am just saying that the customer care people at Microsoft are very busy people and it wouldn't be fair to burden them with such a trivial thing as a pc activation, so by sorting it yourself you are saving their time, your time, and lots of energy in between. Its the greener solution :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Malky
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Malky » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi Brian, you've obviously done a similar thing to what I did! It was becoming too much hassle, so I was left with no option. Got it working fine no probs.

By the way, resetting the time anywhere (even in the bios) won't stop it, so don't waste time rebooting etc.

The registration stuff is already set in your registry and that's what you need to modify. (not for the weak)!

Malky

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
silky4015

Postby silky4015 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:07 pm

I’m in the UK, but even so, when I purchased my computer from the shop I paid an extra £15 for the man to make me a ghost copy of the set up on disc. With the copy of the windows licence number written on the disc, which was then taped to the inside base of the tower. About six months down the line I got a virus, so back to the shop and the man got rid of the virus and then reset using the ghost disc. It was so easy to reset that he now makes a ghost disc for all his customers as it saves him hours of resetting. He also gave me back my £15.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Tiarnan
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Tiarnan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:09 pm

As a complete techophobes neither Marymo nor myself are any the wiser....can someone give us an e-mail address where we can contact Microsoft directly about this problem. ?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
fred
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fred » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:00 pm

Hi folks

I have not read all the replies to this op, I did start to but soon started to lose the will to live, so forgive me if this is a repeat prescription.

At the end of the thirty day period your computer will no longer do the things you want it to. Instead you will be offered the option of registering the product, ie windows whatever, online or by phone. Online will not work so go for the phone option. all you need to know will be contained in an automatic phone reply, you will be asked to key in the product key and at the end they will give you a code number to type into your computer, type in the code and hey presto, normal service will resume. At no point should you part with any cash.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Fred.

Return to “Computers/Internet Access/Mobiles/TV/Video”