Tax evasion - a national sport?

We don't like them but we gotta pay them! How does it work in Bulgaria?

Moderator: Moderator

mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:46 am

Moscow_Wolf wrote:[Okay, I'm off to do my 100 lines - I Must Not Challenge the Mod................ :wink:

(Baying of blood-thirsty crowd in background - "Hang 'im, Hang 'im!!)

OK - Here's your re-starter for 10..

I just LOVE evading tax... What do others here think? :D

Additionally: theweeton wrote:

"It is interesting to know that the United Kingdom is among the top five countrys giving bribes and is considered less corrupt than bulgaria"

Sorry - I can see all sorts of queries about the evaluation criteria involved gathering the info relative to this statement - But let's start off with "Says whom?"...

theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:24 am

If indeed Tax evasion is a sport Bulgaria is only at the grass roots while Britain is near the medal stakes especially when it comes to paying VAT on backhanders.
The illegal untaxed income that comes from the greasing of the palms of low level dignitaries and officials that is alleged to occur in bulgaria is miniscule when compared to "the white mans handshake"(quote from an internal memo of a recently found guilty bridge of bribery and corruption british building company.
mememe wrote:[ "Says whom?"...

The british press online not sure which paper after the recent successful trial of a bridge building company on bribery charges (think there biggest mistake was paying sadam a back hander as this is the only successful trial in recent years)

mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:41 am

Aha - the Sun, perhaps?

Also saying "but everyone else is doing" it might perhaps just be designed to try to justify one's own breaking of the law?

I think rather than 'interesting to know' I would probably say 'it is interesting that it has been reported"..

Sorry, theweeton - I'm not criticising your use of English (which is very, very good) at all, .... But I was just quite surprised that it might be a fact, supported by a survey and figures etc etc... :)

theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:59 am

mememe wrote:But I was just quite surprised that it might be a fact, supported by a survey and figures etc etc... :)

Trying to keep on topic and speaking hypothetically the nature of the crime of tax evasion on monies received by high level Bulgarians from british companies facts are very hard to come by and it is all about perceptions. While the Bulgaian end is investigated in great depth by the Bulgarian authorities it is down to the Serious Fraud Office to investigate the British end, after a through investigation a report is sent to government and in many cases the decision comes back not to prosecute in the public interest.

Having recently joined the hanging brigade I believe there is no justification in breaking any laws and have indeed made the observation in this thread that tax avoidance is legal and evasion is illegal.

I apologize for my use of english it is my second language being proud to be born in wales :D

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:10 am

But let's start off with "Says whom?"...

The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development for one.

Angel Gurria, its secretary general, warned that "appropriate action" would be considered after its working group on bribery reports in March on Britain's compliance with the convention. The OECD, which could send a mission to Britain to investigate the case, warned that the convention's credibility depended on industrialised nations demonstrating the "political will" to abide by it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/britain-rebuked-for-dropping-bribe-inquiry-432760.html

mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:09 pm

Thanks, Gimlet... but:-

theweeton's original statement:

"It is interesting to know that the United Kingdom is among the top five countrys giving bribes and is considered less corrupt than bulgaria"

My question: "Says whom?"

No, they don't.... There is nothing in that story to support the above... It merely states that it (allegedly) happened in one particular instance....

theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:17 pm

Just to end this pointless side show as I say all the so called figures and tables are only perceptions as nobody knows or will ever know the real truth what do you do ....go to all the CEOs and ask do you give bribes and expect an honest answer.
:roll:

was tempeted to say only God knows but no

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:11 pm

There is nothing in that story to support the above... It merely states that it (allegedly) happened in one particular instance....

Well, BAE are being prosecuted now over a separate set of bribes.

Oh, and these are the foreign gentlemen that bridge builder Mabey & Johnson were convicted of bribing recently.

Overseas politicians and officials named as recipients of bribes from Mabey and Johnson

Ghana

Ato Qarshie (former roads minister) £55,000
Saddique Bonniface (minister of works) £25,500
Amadu Seidu (former deputy roads minister) £10,000
Edward Lord-Attivor (chairman inter-city transport corp) £10,000
Dr George Sepah-Yankey (health minister) £15,000

Madagascar

Zina Andrianarivelo-Razafy (permanent representative at the UN) $5,000
Lt-Col Jean Tsaranasy (former public works minister) £33,000

Jamaica

Joseph Uriah Hibbert (former works minister) £100,0000

Angola

Antonio Gois (former general manager state bridges agency) $1.2 m
Joao Fucungo (former director state bridges agency) $13,000

Mozambique

Carlos Fragoso (former head of DNEP, directorate of roads and bridges) £286,000

Bangladesh

Khandaker Rahman (chief engineer, roads & highways dept)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/sep/25/mabey-johnson-foreign-bribery

If you've ever done any business with any Yank companies, mememe, you'll have noticed that they are extremely hot on bribery and corruption and won't award any business until they've got pages of declarations and warranties.

Breach those and you'll be in handcuffs on a plane to a Federal penitentiary (assuming you're not British and not French or Russian because those are two of the countries that sensibly refuce to extradite their own nationals).

There's more on the UK's bad reputation here.

http://www.ethicalcorp.com/content.asp?ContentID=6233

This thread is about national ethical deficits, isn't it?

mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:21 pm

Still nothing to support it in that either.. But as theweeton says, further debate is pointless and I quite accept that it's just a perception...:)

But at least it's avoided the further wrath of MOD and moved us on from a debate about democracy et al....

to..... ethical deficits????? Ermmmmmmm.... :cry:

Bribery and corruption anyone?.... (most reasonably priced).... :lol:

Oscar
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Oscar » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:36 am

http://www.moreto.net/novini.php?n=136114&p=1

One of the ways forward for Bulgaria is to do more of this.The laws are already there and just need to be applied stringently.Bulgarian people are being denied improved social services,infrastructure pensions etc. because of the people not paying what is due,whether they like it or not,as individuals or a company.

Return to “Taxes”