Original documents for accountant?

We don't like them but we gotta pay them! How does it work in Bulgaria?

Moderator: Moderator

Candyfrank

Original documents for accountant?

Postby Candyfrank » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:10 pm

My accountant for some reason has ask for the original company documents should I give them?

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:32 pm

Did he/she say why the originals were needed?

As far as I understand it, your accountant can make your Annual Tax return based upon a copy of your company documents as I refused to leave mine the other week so, she just photocopied them.

If you are making a POA for accountant to file your return or do other things then, 'perhaps' the original is required for the Notary, but other than that, I have NO idea.

Candyfrank

Postby Candyfrank » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Moscow_Wolf wrote:Did he/she say why the originals were needed?

As far as I understand it, your accountant can make your Annual Tax return based upon a copy of your company documents as I refused to leave mine the other week so, she just photocopied them.

If you are making a POA for accountant to file your return or do other things then, 'perhaps' the original is required for the Notary, but other than that, I have NO idea.

Thank u Moscow... I will ask her as I do not know, however does that give them any power... ie a scam?

theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:01 pm

If I were an accountant I would want "sight" of the original docs and if I was going to do the work later then I may ask for a photo copy as well.
Photo copies are easily "doctored", this happens world over.

I always leave all my docs with the accountant at tax return time and always get them back (usually in a cleaner kaufland bag than when they went) it makes it so easy, he knows what he is looking for.

If you do not trust your accountant why are you using him :?: :?: :?:

fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:11 pm

I took originals along to my accountant and they photo copied them, gave me the originals back.

Candyfrank

Postby Candyfrank » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:20 pm

Thank you all for your responses... I only asked should I trust... I myself trust everyone until I or other catch them out... I would trust anyone with lets say 500lv but would I trust you with 10.0000?

fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:44 pm

Candyfrank - you said nothing about trust in your original post. Who is asking for 500 lev or 10,000 lev. If you are not happy with your accountant move to another.

Candyfrank

Postby Candyfrank » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:54 pm

fredatinsch wrote:Candyfrank - you said nothing about trust in your original post. Who is asking for 500 lev or 10,000 lev. If you are not happy with your accountant move to another.

I was asking for advice? should I give? I did not ask for an opinion or an argument... who said I was not trusting her... I was just covering myself and asking if this is normal or right... is this not what this forum is all about?

tandt
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby tandt » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi Candyfrank,
if you feel uncomfortable or unsure about anything, then you are right to be cautious and question it. After all, why should you trust your accountant, or anyone else for that matter ? Many Brits have been scammed in Bulgaria, usually by being too trusting !
There is no reason for your accountant to keep your original documents. As far as I know, they need your company stamp and COPIES of your documents.
I feel that others on the forum have been a bit harsh / flippant in reply to this post. If some people are trusting enough to give their original documents to someone they hardly know, then that is their lookout ( and some would say stupidity ), but why slate someone else for being more carefull ? God knows, there are enough people in the news and on this forum who have lost their properties or money - who will be next ?

My two Levas worth,
Trev.

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:50 pm

I do not think that your accountant can do anything 'wrong' with your original company documents other than lose them. If he/she needs to see the originals then fine, but he/she can make copies of the originals and give you it back for your safe keeping.

When my Accountant thought I was going to leave my original company documents and stamp with her for a couple of days, I didn't refuse because I did not trust her, I refused because, I need them to obtain my Russian Wife's registration here and I couldn't afford the risk of them getting lost or stolen over a weekend in a Yambol down town office.

In general, I advise everyone to never leave the original documents with anyone unless they really need to have them and give you a receipt for them.

Return to “Taxes”