LED vs Traditional Light bulbs

We don't like them but we gotta pay them! How does it work in Bulgaria?

Moderator: Moderator

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

LED vs Traditional Light bulbs

Postby troyan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:19 am

Ive noticed down the years I go through an awful lot of light bulbs in BG, maybe its the quality or the supply, I have read that extreme temperatures are not good either

So I am swapping to LED which are improving all the time, the spotlights I have are much better than the ones I have been using which have a very short life for some reason

The led bulbs are more expensive to buy but have a massive lifespan compared and use a fraction of the power of normal bulbs

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:21 am

I imagine the power variations don't help either - but I don't know how much they affect LEDs

banjo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby banjo » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:36 am

I had led lights fitted in my apt last year and it was the best thing I did the light is much brighter and the electrician done a fast and speedy job, I decided to have them fitted in my home in the UK this year but a problem was found after I bought them as you know the UK has an earth wire system the led lights that I bought have no connection for a earth wire I am now trying to figure out if they need a earth connection for the UK. :lol: :lol:

alfandalma

Postby alfandalma » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:07 am

I fitted a 200W security light with a PIR sensor 6 years ago and it still works perfectly. My house had three fuses. One on live, neutral and one for the meter. A fuse on a neutral is both unnecessary and very dangerous so I rewired my house last summer. I have never experienced any voltage fluctuation or power cuts. Maybe voltage fluctuations come from bad wiring.

Fittings without an earth wire are flooding the market. IKEA being the biggest culprit in the UK of selling Chinese metal light fittings and ceiling fans with no earth wire, they should be fined by the inspectorate of imports but I guess the government do not employ anyone as is the case with no CE inspectors in UK.

Banjo if you want to make your fittings safe and conform to the UK standard add a wire fixed to the metal structure (Not the chain if fitted like a chandelier, the chain is not a good earth path).

MIK_bg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby MIK_bg » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:48 pm

Leds are good for spot lights in specific places...avoid any where you actually see the lamp...they are low power lasers UV (especially cold white)... they also emit radio frequencies so never put them on lamps hanging close your head. Also if you have problem with eyes do not use them to read or watch tv or stay at the computer...as they flick to high speed they tire your vision. Obviously never use them in after sunset as UV will mess with your sleeping hormones.
Differently they sell some with color changing sets...you switch them to orange or red in the evening.

They are good in positions where you switch on and off often as they light up instantly and do not have consumption spike at start as compact fluorescent ones. Perfect for photo cells.

A good mix of lamp does the ttick.

SG1

Postby SG1 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:53 am

Generally LED lighting is a far more cost effective option than traditional bulbs particularly for locations where light is required for long periods of time. UV output is also far lower compared to incandescent & fluorescent, & the latter can also emit a buzz and aren't generally dimmable without a large efficiency loss.

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:32 pm

Took delivery of my eagerly awaited assortment of LED bulbs at the village poshta office this morning all the way from China......i was a little worried about the brightness but no they are great and would say slightly brighter than the predicted comparison

amazes me what I get excited about these days, but then again who doesn t like receiving a parcel.

Return to “Taxes”