Documents required for Bulgarian Schools

Including 'special needs'.

Moderator: Moderator

shaggy
Super User!
Super User!

schools and education

Postby shaggy » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:45 am

Superwoman,i am sorry to say this but you have been robed.Bulgarianproperties in Elhovo have told me that you no longer have to pay for education,i only asked because my sis in law has 2 girls that are doing to school.
regards debs.

Adolf
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Adolf » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:50 pm

I think that must be right, Shaggy.

From the information posted here and elsewhere it seems:-

1. Foreign children were charged for attending BG State schools unless they were permanent residents under BG law. This practice went back at least 20 years and maybe as long as 60 years.

2. Following Accession, this law has been changed so that offspring of EU nationals "employed" in BG do not have to pay. This expression almost certainly covers the self-employed as well.

3. That only leaves those EU nationals who are living in BG as self-supporting people. They should not be discriminated against either. They have no right of access to social security but access to state education is another type of "social advantage". This is a bit heavier than Solvit's usual fare so I suggest anyone affected gets together with others in a like predicament and instructs a BG lawyer to (a) contact the European Commission Office in Sofia with a view to their investigating and if necessary taking infringement proceedings against BG; and (b) suing the BG government in the local BG courts under the Francovitch principle. The court will be obliged to consider granting an injunction directing the BG government to admit the children to school pending a final decision (Factortame principle). Shouldn't cost too much, compared to the school fees. The legal principles are fairly clear. Or "acte clair" as they say in Eurospeak.

ruthdarryl

Re: school reports.

Postby ruthdarryl » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:48 am

julieanne wrote:Hi, i too have 2 boys here in school, they have completed there first year and have now started there 2nd. the only paper work they needed was there school reports, i had to get copyes and have them legerlised in england.they where happy with just that. hope you get it sorted. have you been asked for school fees.?

my wife and i have four kids at school in topolovgrad school
the two young ones aged 11 and 9 had the school papers stamped in bulgaria and accepted into school by the afficials in haskovo
BUT
the two older ones aged 15 and 13 need the english papers LEGALISED OR NOTORISED in ENGLAND then translated in bulgaria by translators chosen by ministry of education in sofia then they will be given places
the head teacher is still happy for the older ones to be at school without the legal docs sorted
BUT WHERE DO I POST THESE KIDS LEVELS IN ENGLAND TO GET THEM LEGALISED ETC
FROM DARRYL

tandt
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby tandt » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:39 pm

Hi,
could someone please make it clear for me;
The reports / documents from the school (in English) have to be notarised in England ?
Are they notarised at a local Public Notary, or do they have to be sent to the F.C.O. in London ?
Do they have to be translated then notarised again in Bulgaria ?
Thanks in advance,
Trev.

ruthdarryl

Postby ruthdarryl » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:40 pm

tandt wrote:Hi,
could someone please make it clear for me;
The reports / documents from the school (in English) have to be notarised in England ?
Are they notarised at a local Public Notary, or do they have to be sent to the F.C.O. in London ?
Do they have to be translated then notarised again in Bulgaria ?
Thanks in advance,
Trev.

today i have seen a ' notary public ' and had them check with the english school and verify the content of there school documents cost £65 for each child
now i have to send these notorised documents down to london to be legalised another cost of £27 each child
SO FOR THE HIGH SCHOOL KIDS IT IS COSTING AROUND £200 please note for the younger children the bulgarian education dept was happy with the english papers simply translated to bulgaria that cost 40 leva for both of them
if anyone has been able to get high school kids offically into schools without uk notary public and then legalising what the notary does please share

Adolf
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Adolf » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:15 pm

I think that the problem with ages arises from the fact that the silly old BG system seems to be based on two Certificates being acquired during the course of primary/secondary education, namely at age 10 a Certificate of Primary Education, and at age 14 a Certificate of Basic Education.

So you can understand that they want to ensure that older, non-BG speaking foreign kids are not parachuted in without some sort of attempt to assess their standard of education.

Verifying the evidence in the time-honoured way is extremely expensive and totally ineffective. If a solicitor or notary writes in the margin of a school certificate "Everton FC rule, OK" and signs his name the FCO will duly apply an apostille certifying that the document bears the signature of said notary/solicitor acting in such capacity and the Bulgarian Embassy will doubtless be delighted to to certify the imprimatur of Her Britannic Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs. The document itself could of course have been produced on Photoshop, but none of the signatories takes any responsibility for that.

By the way, if you look at the FCO website you will see that as long as the certificate is not a booklet and is issued by a public authority they will apostille it direct, without needing a notary's stamp. That is worth a lot more because they are certifying the document itself and you save the Notary's fee.

But you shouldn't really have to do this and if more EU countries had ratified the Brussels Convention you would not have to. You don't have to do it for EU divorce documents for example.

Is there a way round it? Well, there are National Information Centres on euivalence in qualifications, which issue confirmations but UK NARIC charges more than the FCO. You could always drop this woman an email, maybe she'll be having a quiet day.

Dr. Rossitza Velinova, Director
Bulgarian NARIC
Ministry of Education & Science
Division of Equivalence and Mobility in Education
International Relations Department

Kniaz Dondukov bld 2A
BG - 1000 Sofia

Phone: +359 2 988 49 74
Fax: +359 2 988 06 00
rvelinova@minedu.government.bg
http://www.minedu.government.bg

Of course, if the BG experts have decided UK state primary/secondary education is insubstantial and unworthy of recognition, nothing will help and they may well be right.

7RED
Super User!
Super User!

Postby 7RED » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:34 am

Hi,

At the end of the day all they want is a bit of paper with a stamp on it, you obiously have a PC, so, make your own.

As for the "Stamp" go to the shop that sells them and ask them to print, for example, "Stockpot Education Authority"

Worked for me here in Romania when they asked me for my High school Dipolma :? :lol:

7red

jonesie
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby jonesie » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:38 pm

Hi Sharon Just read the problems your having with your daughters education and found all the information very helpfull. As we have a eleven year old boy. and are moving over next year. We have not applied for a school yet.Is it straight forward providing you have the correct paperwork? We will be living in kranevo is obrociste school the nearest one ?.How many english children are in this school?. THANKS

Baxter
<b>Prop Management/Transport Services</b

Postby Baxter » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:15 pm

Hello,

I've read through the topic (very helpful). We are moving over in the summer after our son completes his SATs Key Stage 2 this year. We are in the early stages of trying to get him enrolled into our village school near Bourgas and will get as much paperwork as possible stamped and translated as poss before we come - just in case. No one has mentioned fees to us yet! We will be technically self employed so am assuming this is why. Has anyone got any further updates on the 'fee' situation please

ghostdancer
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby ghostdancer » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:17 pm

Hi all,
Is there anyone who has anymore news, or an update of having to pay fees for BG schools.
This thread fizzled out on 1st Feb. this year

Thanks, in anticipation.

Ghostdancer

Return to “Schools and Education”