mastylo
<b>Language Tutor</b>

Postby mastylo » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:27 pm

Bulgarian public schools are free. Forget about paying any fees :D

jocrow
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby jocrow » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:14 pm

Regarding the school fees in state schools. We successfully pursued a case of discrimination against the Bulgarian authorities via Solvit.Our case was that they were in contravention of Directive 2004/38EC. Part of the confirmation e.mail is reproduced here.

It's my pleasure to inform you that on 19.03.2008 we have received official confirmation from the Bulgarian Ministry of Education and Science that case ***** is successfully resolved. It is acknowledged that the EU law has supremacy over the National provisions and in line with the EC Court of Justice case-law and taking into account the Lisbon Treaty and the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union it is accepted that EU citizens shall have the right to a free access to compulsory education in Bulgaria.

The Regional Education Inspections and the school headmasters in Bulgaria have been informed on the decision on such cases.

Many thanks are due to the staff at Solvit UK & the MEP's who helped us successfully win our case.

shadrack
Super User!
Super User!

school

Postby shadrack » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:22 pm

Good news at last how they managed to still get away with it after eu entry is beyond me.Friends of ours left bg as they could not afford the 500euros a term.rick

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:42 pm

Sometimes there is a happy ending. Or is that another "crass statement" ?

Adolf
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Adolf » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:34 pm

Congratulations, Jocrow, you had an excellent case but it still takes some vim and vigour to push these things, especially in the face of initial official rejection and when your MEPs are persistently having "senior" moments. At least you didn't have to shell out money on court proceedings. I am sure many Brits and other EU nationals will benefit from from your case and owe you a debt of gratitude. Thanks for advising the outcome.

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

school

Postby truckyboy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:32 pm

It does seem a bit stupid, that after your daughter has been in that school for 2 years, the headmaster suddenly needs a uk document before sh can attend the same school...i`m scratching my head..

Baxter
<b>Prop Management/Transport Services</b

schools

Postby Baxter » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:30 pm

Here is our upto date experience and thanks to jocrow for sharing their info re fees.

Our 11 year old son starts in our village school on 15th Sept. Before arriving 4 weeks ago we asked his UK headmistress for a letter/reference on school notepaper, we also had his 2008 school report and key stage 6 SATs results. As back up we pulled together any good attendance certificates, sports achievements etc. This thread was also very helpful re the story from jocrow about fees.

We went to see the education department last week with our neighbour (she is the maths teacher at the school) and presented said documents. Next step was to get copies translated which we did. These then have to be notorised but as our advocate is on his hols until 12th Sept they will have to wait. The nice smiley lady in the education department said we might have to pay for his schooling as we are foreigners but she wasn't sure. I thought not but didn't feel the time was right to argue. She also gave us a form to fill in.

Next we went to see the principle of the school (in the school) with translated documents (not yet notorised) and he confirmed 'we do not have to pay and all his text books will be free'. Registration was done no bother and to help our son learn the language he is moving back one year to 5th grade. We'll get the documents notorised later to hand in if asked.

We thank all for the info leading up to doing this. We know it will be hard for our son as he only has a small amount of bulgarian and in the initial stages it will difficult in each class. However, he will be in a class of 15 instead of 30 (as normal in the UK) and will hopefully settle in soon.

alig68

Postby alig68 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:05 pm

hi

we have been here a year now with our 10 year old attending the local school and had to do everything the same way as you. and he has settled into the school brillantly and loves it.

we also got the english teacher at the school to come to our house for private tuition 5 days a week for 2 hours a day and after 6 months she felt he no longer needed it as she had him upto a managable level of bulgarian ( he has just finished grade 3 year at school)

one thing we had to do was after putting him into school for 6 weeks we took him back out for 2 months to allow him to master the early stages of the language. when he went back he had no problem with what the bulgarian teacher was teaching the class.

we are here a year now and our 10 year old can speak, write, read and translate bulgarian to a good standard.

please let me know how your child progresses in school. i would be very interested to know.

regards

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:20 pm

Congratulations. It is really nice to hear success stories like this. Words of praise from Yours Truly do not come often !

JerBil
Super User!
Super User!

Postby JerBil » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:06 pm

Alig68 said
we are here a year now and our 10 year old can speak, write, read and translate bulgarian to a good standard.

God! How proud you must be and what a wonderful example he is (you are) to us all!

Return to “Schools and Education”