Become a qualified English teacher

Including 'special needs'.

Moderator: Moderator

dreadnought

Become a qualified English teacher

Postby dreadnought » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:10 am

Are you interested in learning the skills to become an English teacher? Do you want to earn a certificate that you could use in many countries around the world to teach English? The Modern Institute in Sofia offers the internationally-recognised SIT TESOL Certificate program, a four-week intensive course that will give you the skills and confidence to teach English effectively.

Our next course starts on August 3rd. Please visit our website for more details: http://www.themoderninstitute.eu/tesol-home-english.htm

filip_expat

Postby filip_expat » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:55 pm

Hi there

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place but I found no thread related to teaching English at all.

My name is Filip and I'm Polish. Have spent a big chunk of my life moving all across the world. I lived in most countries of Europe, making ends meet through English teaching. When I got bored, I simply left.
Now. Bulgaria has never been on my map. I was there last year though for vacation and met a wonderful girl. So I decided - "why not?!"

I'm now considering moving to Sofia. No matter what country I moved to, I was providing English mentoring (non-native) and it let me make ends meet. It's my job, anyways - I'm an English teacher by profession.

Now. Just a few things I'd like to know about.
1. Living costs. Can anybody suggest some resources where I can learn more about the living costs? Basically, I always have some work on my hands (being a freelance translator) but I don't believe this would be enough.
2. How much would I make as an ESL teacher in Sofia? Is there any demand for private lessons provided by non-native tutors?
3. Can anybody suggest any language schools in Bulgaria? Are they hiring? For the last 5+ years I was working for http://www.speak-up.com/ has anybody heard that name in Bulgaria?
4. Last but not least - would I survive in Sofia speaking English/Russian/German only? Apparently, Bulgarian seems to be a bit similar to Russian or my native Polish. And my girlfriend wouldn't always be there with me to lend a helping hand - she's got a day job in Sofia so I'd spend the better part of the day on my own.

Thanks for your answers!

regards
Filip

luisa

Postby luisa » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:11 pm

Hello Filip,

I am native English and spent a couple of years teaching English in Bulgaria before setting up my translation business several years ago. Through my own experience I have found that teaching English here is nowhere near as profitable as it is in other European countries, what with the highest monthly rate of pay here being just 700 BGN for approx. 9 hour working day/5-6 days a week.

Have you considered other language work besides from teaching?

Best wishes,
Luisa

Batko
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Batko » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:36 pm

Nonsense.

You have a PM Filip.

Return to “Schools and Education”