3 Children into school...and 1 refused!

Including 'special needs'.

Moderator: Moderator

Photochick

Postby Photochick » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:20 pm

Leedarkwood: I don't know how they deal with refugees. If they have no paperwork I guess they are barred from school? I keep being told that all children must go to school...then i hit the brick wall.That's the most frustrating part really <sigh>.

Good idea about sitting GCSEs early for the paperwork...but 30% of the overall mark is coursework, which has to be submitted to the exam board well in advance. and cover certain modules. eg for the May exam 2010 sitting all graded coursework must be submitted in January 2010. This means its too late to apply as a private candidate for this November :-( Also she will only be sitting 3 GCSE's next May, but we have been told these aren't acceptable for school entry, as they don't show an 'all round education' and she will have to wait until she has done ALL her GCSE's (This was last weeks information from Sofia, via the British Council).

Oldtimer: Thanks for the nice comments on our work :-) We have spent the last couple of months doing paperwork and traveling back and forth from the UK, but hope to get lots of Bulgarian images done over the next few months. We're really looking forward to the changing seasons :D

Brandi

Postby Brandi » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:42 pm

One last, well-meant clarification, if I may, Photochick.

UK Trade and Investment is a department of the UK Foreign Office, mirrored within the structure of each and every UK Embassy around the world. This explains your "embassy" reference, only you meant Her Majesty's Embassy to Sofia and not the Bulgarian government.

In that any official working for UK Trade and Investment is NOT an official of the Bulgarian government which explains the good intentions, and, sadly, also the sorry mess they've landed you in by giving advice that is blatantly incompetent.

Doing research into a country can be very frustrating so next time do go to the horse's mouth and even more importantly, in Bulgaria, sort out the paperwork first and start asking questions only after ...... it is a life spent dealing with stories similar to yours that compels me to give you this rather "insensitive" advice.

johnbaz
<b>Tradesman</b>

Postby johnbaz » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:59 pm

not at all like the UK then . Makes me ask why ? If we can take in people from all over the world . Why cant the Bulgarians take in a English child without all this fuss . Or are we just stupid . Or maybe the 60 % tax covers it all .

kazz
<b>Country Advisor/Property Finder</b>

Postby kazz » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:10 pm

I've come late to this thread....and may well be out of date on UK education so if this is a really stupid idea please tell me so gently.... :)
SATS??
Do they still exist?
Could they be used to attest your 13/14 year olds level of education? (can't remember age, sorry).

I get the sense that they're asking for a level to be established rather than proving a high level.

I know they're being phased out.....but I didn't think these tests had been totally scrapped yet?
Just a thought!

Photochick

Postby Photochick » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:16 pm

HI Brandi: I don't know why you keep going back to the same points, but you are STILL misunderstanding.

If you re-read my posts I have said MANY times that the lady that advised me was from the Bulgaria Government. UKTI only arranged the meeting - the lady I spoke to was From the Trade Department of the Bulgarian Government in Sofia, and was accompanied by a lady from the Bulgarian Embassy in London. This was my embassy reference. She emailed me when she returned to her department in Sofia and had spoken to a college in the Education Department.

I am very familiar with UKTI and their role, and have worked with them in several countries over the last 4 years; and they were not involved in these discussions at all, other than to arrange the appointments.

The British Embassy have only very recently become involved to confirm to the Bulgarian Ministry of Education that Home Education is a formal recognized education in the UK, and that there is no paperwork available for this age of child.

So, to use your expressions we got advice 'straight from the horses mouth' - first verbally from an official from the Bulgarian government visiting the UK, then via email from the Bulgarian Government, and then from a Bulgarian headteacher when we did more 'groundwork'. I accept, and have said, these were probably genuine errors, but I don't understand your reasons for trying to say that the advice came from the UK, or that I don't understand the role of UKTI, as both are obviously untrue. The mis-information all came from Bulgarian officials, not from the UK at all.

johnbaz
<b>Tradesman</b>

Postby johnbaz » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:21 pm

take your child to school and demand that she gets a education . go on about human rights and all that that should do it . thats the way they do it in the UK .

Brandi

Postby Brandi » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:25 pm

Photochick,

I assure you I am capable of misunderstanding very little where it comes to the Bulgarian system of education, including its take on UK education.

I am also a former officer of the British Council, who WAS in charge of UK examinations and set up, in that capacity, the system for GSCE examinations in Bulgaria, amongst many others.

I also happen to know it for a fact that there is nothing called the Trade Department (or even Ministry) that is formally a part of the structure of Bulgarian government.

However, and despite my attempts to simply point out that there may, possibly, be an error in your ways or in your take of what has been said to you, I now rest my case and suggest you get back to the lady who provided the initial advice, seeing that she has been incredibly helpful.

Photochick

Postby Photochick » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:31 pm

HI Kazz :D
SATs tests are only for state schools. They are used for the league tables to measure school performance, by testing what % of pupils reach the target grades ie. to see if a school is under preforming and needs assistance, or is a "flagship school' , or somewhere in between. They are not available private schools or privately tutored children as it is a measure of state school performance. Private schools performance are usually measured by % of students going on to university.
However, in desperation, I did ask my LEA if it was possible for her return to the UK to sit a SATs paper - but was told that it wasn't as it is only for state schools, and that they are no longer being taken by this age group in any case.
I really think I have tried every option available - but keep the suggestions coming in case I have missed one :D I will talk again with my UK LEA when I am in the UK next week to see if they can come up with something thats acceptable here, but her next actual exams will be her GCSEs.

johnbaz
<b>Tradesman</b>

Postby johnbaz » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:33 pm

Well the when you was there you didn't do a very good job as in England we take all sorts . so why not Bulgaria ?

Brandi

Postby Brandi » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:43 pm

The fact that "we in England take all sorts" does not warrant the conclusion that I didn't do a good job, which I must have done judging by the glowing references I obtained for doing said job :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Schools and Education”