3 Children into school...and 1 refused!

Including 'special needs'.

Moderator: Moderator

walkage
Super User!
Super User!

Postby walkage » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:23 pm

To reply to previous messages.. Bulgaria is a good place to educate children...OK let me see... no yobs, no drugs, no violence, students who take an interest in education...the Uk ---violence, absent pupils, drugs, under-age sex,etc etc... yes I think Bulgaria is the better option - so boo - whoever you are you obviously have a problem with Bulgaria - so if you live here - please leave. Photochick has done all that she can for her children, moving to a better life here in Bulgaria. Protecting her children from the ravages of UK everyday life.
We have been here for over 3 years and can vouch for the better quality of life here....

I would be very interested to know Boo.... if you live in Bulgaria..as I suspect you have no idea what you are talking about...

MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:37 pm

Please remember this thread is not about the standard of education in Bulgaria or the UK. It is to help the thread starter with their problem. If there are any more posts that do not offer advice or are irrelevant to the thread itself then they will be deleted.
Mod 8)

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:01 pm

You could try SOLVIT as an avenue to pursue your complaint about unfair treatment. Many minor BG officials have not yet grasped the ideas that BG is in the EU and that there are now rights for foreigners resident in BG.

Try a search here for SOLVIT
Last edited by scot47 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:01 am

Plenty of video clips about, Photochick.

If your kids want a traditional 1950s style education you might look this place up!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUU3PQB3Dh4

Way to go, Veliko, as I think they say in the USA :lol:

Takes me back, and I went to a grammar school. Good honest fighting, no stabbings, no girls to distract us.....

My theory is that big classes show that a school can actually teach and it seems I'm not as mad as all that.

http://www.hoover.org/publications/digest/3476106.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/educa ... 81462.html

Of course it helps if all the kids are of much the same standard, and it seems that is what the Bulgarian system wants to achieve. In the UK I had the advantage of that but my son didn't, until we moved 200 miles to get him into a school where the old approach had not quite died and the teachers weren't congenital liars :cry:

eureka
Super User!
Super User!

Postby eureka » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:59 am

Unfortunately in Bulgaria, but certainly not exclusive to Bulgaria, some people expend so much energy finding the 100 reasons why something cannot be done, that they don't have the energy left to find the one very good reason why it can be done...

I have great faith in the new generation of Bulgarians. We can look back, only to learn from the mistakes of the past, which of course we cannot change. But now, together, we can look to the future in the hope that we can indeed effect change.

In this particular case, I have no doubt that because of the more than one good reason why it can be done, it will be done.

booboo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby booboo » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:03 am

Walkage

I live here, I love the place, and never intend to set foot in the uk again, and have not been back for over 3 years.

Also I agree with pretty much every point you made, except I don't think that Bulgaria is a perfect place to move a child with no Bulgarian language skills in the middle of studying for GCSE's. There is no racist slant to this, I am just of the opinion that the Bulgarian education system is not as advanced as the uk. As I write this I turn my thoughts to all the nightmare teens that appear to exist in the UK, so who knows.

Thats just my opinion and as the MOD as requested useful info only from now, I better shut up.

So good luck to the original poster, as you have provided your kids with a far nicer place to live, that is for sure.

Brandi

Postby Brandi » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 am

gimlet wrote: I would suggest that you try and get a certificate from your LEA that your kids have received satisfactory home education in accordance with the requirements of the Education Act 1944 or whatever it is now, get as many stamps on it as possible

Precisely in line with the advice given in my original post on the subject, although I didn't see it necessary to quote regulations and sundry statutory acts.

To all else who responded,

I merely tried to point out that there is a HUGE discrepancy between the actual and standing requirements for schooling in Bulgaria as compared to those quoted/reported according to the advice claimed to have been received. I did, arguably, carry that argument a tad too far but did it for a purpose, which will hopefully make people more careful in the future.

That advice may have sounded and was interpreted as harsh and unsympathetic but at least it fully matches the reality and developments which have regrettably transpired in many a similar situation, which as pointed out, I have had the misfortune to deal with.

To the poster who insisted that I accused them of lying, my best advice for them is to go back to my post and re-read it more carefully (for lack of ambiguity, it expresses disbelief and tentatively puts forth an assumption that said forum user may not have fully grasped the substance of the premise put forth to them, which is that they hadn't complied with formal requirements ..... and not more than that).

Return to “Schools and Education”