further education at V/T university and/or military college

Including 'special needs'.

Moderator: Moderator

ChrisF
Super User!
Super User!

Postby ChrisF » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:15 pm

Yes, Inge, there are private teachers of Bulgarian in VT, some good, some not so good (from personal experience). In the summer of 2008 Veliko Tarnovo ran an intensive one month course of Bulgarian for English speakers; I'm not sure if they did it again this year, but finding out shouldn't be a problem - if you want me to try please let me know.

Chris

johnbaz
<b>Tradesman</b>

Postby johnbaz » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:12 pm

Well this is the first i have heard of it , and the first the head of the English department has heard of it . So this is interesting .

Inge

Postby Inge » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:23 pm

To tell the truth I was enquiring because I am an experienced IELTS tutor. I was also trying to find out from VT university if they ran teachers training courses as I would be happy to help them develop a course for special needs. I have been teaching/advising/managing special needs in the UK and abroad for many years and from what I have gathered on this site, there is not much provision apart from bulgarian state schools. But at least if the teachers there are trained to deal with kids with SEN, it is a step forward

cmcnab
Super User!
Super User!
Location: Stenhousemuir,Scotland Omarchevo,Nova Zagora,Bulgaria

Postby cmcnab » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:29 pm

Inge

Postby Inge » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:36 pm

Thanks for the link. However, may remain hopeful that someone there is interested in starting something before i get too old :idea:

ChrisF
Super User!
Super User!

Postby ChrisF » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:46 pm

Inge, as you know I too was a special needs teacher for many years. There has been some progress here lately - a small unit for disabled children, quite well staffed and well equipped, opened here in VT this year. A small but significant start.
Johnbaz, I assure you that what I said was true; there is no reason for the head of ENGLISH to know that BULGARIAN was being taught to native English speakers during the summer break.

Chris

johnbaz
<b>Tradesman</b>

Postby johnbaz » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:10 pm

Oh dear Just to clarify as you would say . i spent all day looking for some think i didn't have in the first place and thought it could be a age thing with you . But there you are you are right, a English course not run by the English department sound Irish . by the way is your cap lock stuck ?chow bed time for the worker

kazz
<b>Country Advisor/Property Finder</b>

Postby kazz » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:51 pm

The three week intensive seminar in Bulgarian for foreign learners has been run at the VT university for the last 20+ years.
I know it ran this year as I had an advert up for it!

I know it ran 2 years ago as I attended it!

It is intensive inasmuch as it's every week day for 2 or 3 weeks
BUT.....
Their academic hour is 37.5 minutes (as opposed to the normal 45 minute academic hour in Bulgaria).
There were 3 double lessons per morning, but the third lesson was an open choice of lectures (useful for advanced learners) or a phonetics session which was run by a brilliant lady. The problem was that if 30 people are attending a 75 minute session which concentrates on getting particular sounds right to improve accent each student gets about 2 minutes.....if they're lucky and NO time is wasted.

The afternoons were group activities, outings etc. Included in the price of the course and useful for practice,;unfortunately I was unable to attend these as rather than being a 20 something year old student with no other commitments I'm a 40 something year old with a life/husband garden and animals to care for.

For anyone starting from scratch, able to give over a large wad of cash and 3 weeks 100% commitment I would recommend the course as a good way to kick start learning and meet a lovely bunch of people.

If you can't give it total involvement...don't do it, you'll end up feeling cheated!
Long term I still think 1 to 1 or very small groups of people who can learn at the same pace is the best way to go.

johnbaz
<b>Tradesman</b>

Postby johnbaz » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:09 am

When i asked Lena about this she said yes but this is nothing , You asked me about full time . So you are right they do run a summer class you are correct .

MEDD
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby MEDD » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:50 am

Hi,

As far as I know the summer intensive course is for people who have already learned Bulgarian. It is part of a Conference dedicated to Slavonic languages and is attended by people from many different countries more as an exchange of knowledge and ideas than for someone to learn Bulgarian from the start.

The VT university used to run (and I believe it still does) Bulgarian language course for foreign students. It is starting in October and is very intensive - as far as I remember it used to be 6 hours every day from Monday till Friday. The aim of the course is the foreign students to be able to attend the classes in Bulgarian from their second year or from their second term from February (I am not sure about that). I have met quite a few foreign students who have learned Bulgarian at this course and they spoke perfectly.

As for studies for teachers most of the majors at the university actually are for teachers in different subjects, mainly history, languages, art, preschool and first school classes teachers. I do not know if there is special studies for disability people but I think it would be best to speak with someone in person about helping with such a programme. There is the need in our society for sure, just make sure you speak with someone who can decide or propose to the dean's committee.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Schools and Education”