Including 'special needs'.

Moderator: Moderator

gardenshed100

schooling/education/activities

Postby gardenshed100 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:00 am

Blog written by: gardenshed100

schooling & education/general
Hi All,

We are a family of four who have two children aged 10 & 7. We are planning to move to BG this summer in the Varna region or there abouts. Our main concern and worry is the education and how the kids will settle into new schoosl ( i know this depends on the individuals also) I have read that the education is very good in BG. Are there any uk families out there who have been through the same concerns as ourselves recently and maybe in the same area who can recommend either english or bulgarian speaking school as I have had mixed opinions on what would suit the kids best. Do you know if the kids can start mid term or would they have to wait until Sep. I know a little about the way their system works and maybe my older child would find it harder initally due to the age?

Are there lots of activities for the kids to do after school like here in the uk so we can find a network of friends for the kids quiet early on so they don't feel isolated as we will be living in a village.

If there is any uk families that have recently moved and could help with any of my worries, pleaase pm me, I would be really grateful,

Hope to hear from lots of you soon :)

Gardenshed100 :)

MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:14 am

Hi gardenshed100, welcome to My Bulgaria.

Quite a few of our members here have gone through the schooling issues with their children and we're sure you will have some replies. However, for your own research your best bet would be to sit down for several hours for a good read through the most relevant-looking posts (you can usually tell by their titles) in the 'Schools and Education' sub forum. Very educational in itself!

Good luck! Mod 8)

gardenshed100

Postby gardenshed100 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi MOD,

I have already dont that believe me but the majority of the posts are dated and I was hoping to discuss it with people who have recently made the move.

Thanks for your help, you could spend hours on here browsing :)

Cheers Gardenshed100

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:50 pm

gardenshed wrote
Are there lots of activities for the kids to do after school like here in the uk so we can find a network of friends for the kids quiet early on so they don't feel isolated as we will be living in a village.

That really depends on the village and it's location! Do u know if there are other children in the village u intend to move to? Lots of villages have very few children in them, and the only time u see children in them is on the holidays, when the kids visit their grandparents.

gardenshed100

Postby gardenshed100 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:58 pm

Hi Spantrout,

Thanks for the reply, tbh honest we havn't decided a definate village just around a few areas, kranevo,klimentivo,or even albena, Balchik.. just hard to find if any sporting activiites for them to do after school so can meet a social netowrk for them and us,

Cheers ::)))

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:41 am

So - moving with kids to somewhere in Bulgaria. Not sure where. Not sure how the kids will do. I'm guessing none of you speaks Bulgarian. Seemingly not much idea of what life here is like.

What on earth are you thinking of? :roll:

lyn
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby lyn » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:06 am

Seedy, it's called a sense of adventure and the children will be fine, especially if they can have some language lessons before they head out this way.
If people hadn't ever taken the plunge, the world would be a very different place!

bigbulg
<b>Legal Services</b>

Postby bigbulg » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:09 am

Seedy wrote:So - moving with kids to somewhere in Bulgaria. Not sure where. Not sure how the kids will do. I'm guessing none of you speaks Bulgarian. Seemingly not much idea of what life here is like.

What on earth are you thinking of? :roll:

I agree, this is major decision to make. I think the groundwork has to be done first. These village's are not full of "chocolate box cottages" but living, working (hard) and rural places. Unless you choose near/next/in a City or a major town there wont be much in the way of activities, only what they make for themselves. The same advice applies as much, if not more in this case, to you as has been given to others seeking a new life in BG, go and visit your chosen area, stay there as long as possible and get a feel for your new home/village/town/city.

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:08 pm

I'm also not aware of any "english" schools in varna, I may be wrong (yes there are schools that teach english but not aware of schools teaching in english), but there have been many threads on this topic and i don't recall anyone mentioning any schools except BG language ones.

gardenshed100

Postby gardenshed100 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi Seedy,

I didn't realsie I had to provide a definate address with post code!!!

Yes we do have a good idea of the country and areas, but on a long term basis things are very differnet as you know.. so looking for suggestions to what other brits have done!
Isn't that what this forum is all about????????

Thanks Lyn, you seem to know where I am comng from :) :)

Return to “Schools and Education”