Trouble using the Search Facilities

Got a comment about My Bulgaria? Having technical problems? Can't get into Live Chat? Also the place for Site 'Announcements'!!

Moderator: Moderator

Haggis

Postby Haggis » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:34 am

OK now I have to get used to using the search facility and search out topics I want to know about. so what I did is type fish..g into the search bit and got 15 pages of posts including the word. Now I aint got all day to peruse all 15 pages with some of them dating back a long way.

So I must be doing something wrong. Maybe someone can help me. Or should I search for a post to help me search for a post???? :? :?

I really wanted all the answers to questions and warnings etc etc all on one post so I dont have to jump from post to post making notes and writing down each topic post I want to view again later. But rules are rules and I must ahear to them. So with this in mind I am going to build myself a website where I can (Assuming I aint breaking any copyright or other rules) use the answers to questions, points of advise, views etc etc about relocating to BG and get it all in one place where I dont have to jump about up and down like a brides nighty searching for stuff.

All help with this search facility greatfully recieved

MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:51 am

Haggis wrote:OK now I have to get used to using the search facility and search out topics I want to know about. so what I did is type fish..g into the search bit and got 15 pages of posts including the word. Now I aint got all day to peruse all 15 pages with some of them dating back a long way.

So I must be doing something wrong. Maybe someone can help me. Or should I search for a post to help me search for a post???? :? :?

All help with this search facility greatfully recieved

You'll find a detailed explanation of how these work at the top of the 'Latest forum postings' list.

http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php? ... ic&t=17994

Mod 8)

Haggis

Postby Haggis » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:54 am

Yep found it, tried it but cant seem to get up to date posts.
Can the search search only for words in the title rather than words on posts???

MOD

Postby MOD » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:59 am

Haggis wrote:Yep found it, tried it but cant seem to get up to date posts.
Can the search search only for words in the title rather than words on posts???

Choosing your keywords for searches is important.

We just searched for 'Fly Fishing' and a nice manageable amount of replies were found.

Then we looked for 'Sea Fishing' and had another short list of possibilities.

The more you use the Advanced Search facilities the better you will get at it.

Happy hunting and fishing of course

Mod :)

Haggis

Postby Haggis » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am

Yep just tried the sea fishing on and got 1800 plus posts on 74 pages.

I must be doing something very wrong

MOD

Postby MOD » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:09 am

Haggis wrote:Yep just tried the sea fishing on and got 1800 plus posts on 74 pages.

I must be doing something very wrong

Have you read the instructions on how to use the Search Facilities?

They explain clearly how you can limit the amount of results by opting to pick from certain forums. In the case of 'Fishing' you should search only the 'Golf in Bulgaria and other sports' forum.

Please read the instructions before you continue to post

Mod 8)

Haggis

Postby Haggis » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:26 pm

Weyhey I think I have it now. Well sort of :D Did a search. Was that long ago I cant remember what it was. But just spent the last 4 1/2 hours reading 70 pages of How Not To Buy A House.

Very very informative.

I have now used up half a days holiday :D

Pascalcho

Postby Pascalcho » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:38 pm

You can use the regular search engines too by using some tricks.

For example :
site:mybulgaria.info fishing

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:11 pm

Haggis wrote:Weyhey I think I have it now. Well sort of :D Did a search. Was that long ago I cant remember what it was. But just spent the last 4 1/2 hours reading 70 pages of How Not To Buy A House.

Very very informative.

I have now used up half a days holiday :D

You're not alone in this area and IF you had used the SEARCH Facility, you would have found that I had started a similar post a month or so ago. :lol:

I have had off forum exchanges with the MODs about this and it seems that what we have (whether you can make it work for you or not) is what we're stuck with. Narrowing down the Forums for search as explained in the instructions and the example given being 'Asprin' being searched for in the Medical Forum makes complete sense, but from my limited experience, a number of more popular search words could turn up a thread in any number of Forums. Yesterday, I entered, 'Thieving' as I knew there was a thread using this as the first word, but couldn't remember the rest of the title. Now, I didn't use the wild-card option that I will try to use next time, but as usual with me, it started showing results in date order of all the posts with the word 'Thieving' in it. Fortunately, the THREAD I was looking for was on the first page and even then, my added Post got its own separate thread started by a MOD so you can't always get it right.

Now, I have read and re-read those Instructions and still cannot understand this passage: -

3) Select how you would like the results displayed with the ‘Display results as:’ option. You can choose ‘topics’ or ‘posts’. If unsure try a search with both! Some users find ‘posts’ easier than ‘topics’ but you can choose which suits you best! All other options and dropdown boxes can be ignored unless you are familiar with search facilities and know how to refine your search further.

I am probably being thick, but I am not being picky, argumentative, belligerent or intending to be accused of any other derogatory stance. I just cannot understand what is the difference in Advanced Search Terms between a Post and a Topic when the Search does NOT appear to have the ability to search TOPIC titles only. I can fumble around the rest of the facilities and manage, but I cannot for the sake of me get my thick head around this part of the Instructions.

MOD

Postby MOD » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:35 pm

I just cannot understand what is the difference in Advanced Search Terms between a Post and a Topic when the Search does NOT appear to have the ability to search TOPIC titles only.

The difference between the 2 is that if you opt for 'posts' the search results will show you the individual posts with your search term(s) in. The 'topics' option will return the results as topics, not specific posts and therefore if you want to only read the posts which contain your search term(s) you would have to plough through each whole topic to find them. However, this can be a useful option never-the-less as often a whole thread will be useful especially if the search term(s) just happens to be in the title as well.

The downside of having a search facility that only searched titles (if we had that choice in our technical format of course, which we don't) is that quite often members don't actually put the keywords in the titles, and many topics will hold the answers you may be looking for as a secondary offshoot in another less appropriate topic! :roll:

:wink: 8)

Return to “Site Comments, Problems, Issues & Stats.”