Trouble using the Search Facilities

Got a comment about My Bulgaria? Having technical problems? Can't get into Live Chat? Also the place for Site 'Announcements'!!

Moderator: Moderator

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:56 pm

Not to keep labouring the point, BUT..... :lol: I was thinking during the night (as one does) whether or not it might be possible for the Technicians to add a drop down menu with check boxes to limit the amount of sub Forums to include in the Advanced Search?

Example, I used the Advanced Search to look for Bird Feeding (or similar) and was 100% convinced that if it existed, it should be in the Village Life part of the site. Now't found, start a new thread only to be told later (by your good selves) that a lot of information could be found in a thread, 'Feeding Nuts to Birds' which was in the damned General Information section.

Now, I am fairly sure that the information I was seeking wouldn't be in Chit Chat, Soapbox, Employment and a host of other sub forums, but if I had had the opportunity to check a few boxes of those sub-forums where my subject might appear, surely it would be an assist.

If it is NOT possible then, end of story, no big deal, just asking. :wink:

MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:32 pm

Not to keep labouring the point, BUT..... I was thinking during the night (as one does) whether or not it might be possible for the Technicians to add a drop down menu with check boxes to limit the amount of sub Forums to include in the Advanced Search?

Not sure that this is possible but we will pass the idea on to the techies.

Example, I used the Advanced Search to look for Bird Feeding (or similar) and was 100% convinced that if it existed, it should be in the Village Life part of the site. Now't found, start a new thread only to be told later (by your good selves) that a lot of information could be found in a thread, 'Feeding Nuts to Birds' which was in the damned General Information section.

Agree it should be in the Village Life section... unfortunately with such a large forum one or two things are bound to slip through the net.

(The search term 'Bird Feeding' in Quick Search, btw, brings the topic straight up! :lol: )

Now, I am fairly sure that the information I was seeking wouldn't be in Chit Chat, Soapbox, Employment and a host of other sub forums, but if I had had the opportunity to check a few boxes of those sub-forums where my subject might appear, surely it would be an assist.

In Advanced there is not only the option of selecting a specific forum, but also the option of selecting a category instead. The category choices include:

All
Other
Property Related
Useful
Business etc
Leisure

In the circumstances you give (and bypassing the Quick Search) we would have made 2 separate searches using this Category option. Our first would be 'Useful' and the second would be 'Leisure'. As it happens, both Village Life and G Discussion are in the 'Useful' category so would have been within the results first time. :wink:

Hope that helps. Mod 8)

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:50 am

MOD wrote:
Not to keep labouring the point, BUT..... I was thinking during the night (as one does) whether or not it might be possible for the Technicians to add a drop down menu with check boxes to limit the amount of sub Forums to include in the Advanced Search?

Not sure that this is possible but we will pass the idea on to the techies.

Agree it should be in the Village Life section... unfortunately with such a large forum one or two things are bound to slip through the net.

(The search term 'Bird Feeding' in Quick Search, btw, brings the topic straight up! :lol: )

In Advanced there is not only the option of selecting a specific forum, but also the option of selecting a category instead. The category choices include:

All
Other
Property Related
Useful
Business etc
Leisure

In the circumstances you give (and bypassing the Quick Search) we would have made 2 separate searches using this Category option. Our first would be 'Useful' and the second would be 'Leisure'. As it happens, both Village Life and G Discussion are in the 'Useful' category so would have been within the results first time.
:wink:

Hope that helps. Mod 8)

Yes, that does help an awful lot as I had never understood what those six options did, now I do. Shall try harder next time. :wink: We live and learn.

theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:05 am

In the advanced search dropdown menu for forum could an extra catorgary be added linking to own posts.

MOD

Postby MOD » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:21 am

Hi theweeton, no extra category needed - just put your username in the 'Search for Author' box!

:wink:

theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:32 am

Never noticed the box...thanks :oops: :oops: :oops:

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

HELP PLEASE

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:12 pm

Dear Mr. MOD, I know you are a busy chap these days, but could you please help me to use the Advanced Search Facility better than I am already?

Problem: I knew that GIMLET had made a certain post and I knew what the subject matter was, but I couldn't recall the exact thread or, when it was posted.

So, I go to advanced search, I enter: Spiked OR Studded OR Tyres OR Tires

I elect for posts rather than thread headings

I elect Information from the type of thread it would be and I enter GIMLET as the originator of the post.

The search gives me about 4-5 threads and two of them are at least 9 pages to 25 pages in total. I guess that the one I am looking for is around 9 pages so, I open it and go through each page looking for Gimlet and any of the highlighted search words on the pages. I eventually find it on the very last page! :evil:

Can I do something in the Advanced Search that would ONLY show all of the post made by Gimlet with the words I'm seeking or, can I get it to take me straight to his post?

Thanks in advance for your advice/help.

lyn
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby lyn » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:20 pm

I'll obviously leave this for a Mod to answer fully, but you can put his name in the author box (and don't fill in the rest) or go into his profile and check 'view posts made by gimlet.' It helps if you know how long ago he posted it though!

MOD

Re: HELP PLEASE

Postby MOD » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Moscow_Wolf wrote:
Can I do something in the Advanced Search that would ONLY show all of the post made by Gimlet with the words I'm seeking or, can I get it to take me straight to his post?

Dear Mr Wolf,

Yes, in the Advanced search there is an option to select 'posts' rather than 'topics'. It's by the 'Display results as:' part just above the search button. Use this in conjunction with the keywords and placing 'Gimlet' in the author box, and hey presto! :wink:

Hope that helps

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Re: HELP PLEASE

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:36 pm

MOD wrote:
Moscow_Wolf wrote:

Dear Mr Wolf,

Yes, in the Advanced search there is an option to select 'posts' rather than 'topics'. It's by the 'Display results as:' part just above the search button. Use this in conjunction with the keywords and placing 'Gimlet' in the author box, and hey presto! :wink:

Hope that helps

I'll go back later and try it again to see if I get narrower results, but in the meantime, I'm busy interrogating Spiralbg for his business ideas and he's not giving up easily. Cheers. :wink:

Return to “Site Comments, Problems, Issues & Stats.”