Vegetarians and Vegans

Find recommendations here of where to buy!

Moderator: Moderator

Paddywack

Vegetarians and Vegans

Postby Paddywack » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:27 pm

:?: Can you please give me some info/suggestions and so on as to sources of vegan and vegetarian foods in the Bourgas/Nessabar area? Things like Tofu and so on. We eat out sometimes but self-cater most of the time. I have apartment in Ravda.

blueberry
Super User!
Super User!

Postby blueberry » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:57 pm

u can easily find such stuff in Piccadilly supermarkets. Tofu, soy milk...

Litespeed
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Litespeed » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:44 pm

How about restaurants? I am a veggie, ive not yet visited BG but we are going in March and buying an off plan property. Will I struggle when eating out in restaurants? or do they cater for vegetarians as well........anything but cabbage though!

satellitemark
Super User!
Super User!

Postby satellitemark » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:46 pm

Hi Paddywack

veggies are very poorly served in bulgaria , you cant get proper cheddar let alone veg approved cheese, i suggest you take some with you in sealed packs to avoid customs probs , i have seen tinned pataks veg curry in metro & some local supermarkets . We always take various beanfeast (asda does a copy ) these come in savory mince / bolognase / chilli & be combined with locally available mash / pasta / rice to make meals ,they are dried products so take up very little room & don't weigh much !

i would guess that locally the widest choice available is in metro bourgas , fresh veg is plentiful & cheap so you could make up stir frys with whatever you fancy !

linda mac & quorn products are not available yet !

regards

mark

satellitemark
Super User!
Super User!

Postby satellitemark » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:54 pm

Litespeed wrote:How about restaurants? I am a veggie, ive not yet visited BG but we are going in March and buying an off plan property. Will I struggle when eating out in restaurants? or do they cater for vegetarians as well........anything but cabbage though!

Hi Litespeed

I'm afraid i've never seen a true "veggie" restaurant in bulgaria ,though there may be some in sofia, as veggie cheese is not available it is doubtful that even a cheese/tom pizza would be truly veggie . there are some great salads available in most restaurants , there is a lot of great food available in bg but not a lot of it is veggie .

regards

mark

Litespeed
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Litespeed » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:00 pm

When I say Veggie, I dont mind cheese, milk etc, just not the meat stuff.

Oh well cabbage salads for me then.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:04 pm

It is not common to meet Bulgarians who are vegetarians. Mind you in most BG restaurants you get a fairly good selectyion of 'veggie-type' meals.

Those who want to be strict vegeterians or vegans will have a harder time.

MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:07 pm

Crossey asked:
Has anyone seen any quorn or soya products anywhere in Bulgaria, I have looked in all the supermarkets but have not spotted any. My daughter and her family are all vegetarians and it would be really to have some soya mince and quorn items for when they come out to visit us next year. You can only get by for so long on a diet of eggs, cheese and salads. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Crossey

Mat replied:
There's an organic food store in Sofia on the corner of Hristo Belchev and Parchevich streets that sells this sort of stuff.

and kempa said:
I get my tofu from Kaufland in Yambol - asked in Metro but got blank stare - I think Kaufland also do other soya products. Beans/lentils are also a good source of protein.
Cheers
Kempa

tiamet
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby tiamet » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:08 pm

hi

I am a long term strict lacto vegetarian (eat eggs and dairy but no meat or fish) and the food in Bulgaria suits me just fine, in fact it's delicious and dishes without meat are plentiful, both self catered and eating out. I have had lots of different bean soups (bob soupi) and stews, and monastery beans also lentils are easy to find (leshti) and risottos are common and delicious in the mehanas. The nuts locally make great nut loaves and cutlets...not to mention mishmash and gyuveche (check out the recipe section on this site for starters) the pizza's are the best and salads endless. There is banitza and spinach dumplings not to mention cheesy chips occasionally and cakes to die for, also there are plain and marinated tofu's and veg pate's available in Piccadilly in VT along with more exotic stuff like coconut milk and water chestnuts etc. Don't think 've seen quorn exactly tho....
And there is a veggie restaurant in Sofia, called the lemon tree underneath internet hostel on Alabin Str. The food is great and very reasonably priced.
hope this helps
tiamet

millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:42 pm

I am a vegetarian, living just outside of VT, and I have never had a problem in restaurants, finding vegetarian dishes etc. Vegetable sach is delicious, and certainly most of the restaurants in VT serve lovely non-meat dishes - no need to live on cabbage salad at all. Plentiful pasta and rice dishes too, although I don't do tofu so couldn't really tell you about that. Being a veggie is not a problem in Bulgaria - after all, they certainly grow enough of them! :lol:

Return to “Shops, Furnishers, Retailers & Suppliers”