The Full Monty: British Food V/T

Find recommendations here of where to buy!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:52 am

probably the same reason Indians eat curry when in England, my Bulgarian friends in America beg me to bring lukanka and sheep cheese etc etc. Lets face it, when the alternative is the decidedly unspectacular Bulgarian cuisine of various unidentifiable hunks of meat cooked to death on a barbeque and salad, its not that suprising people want to bring out the Branston.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
7RED
Super User!
Super User!

Postby 7RED » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:08 am

Hi Mat,

PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For an arrogant to**er :lol: :lol: :lol:

7red

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Charliechech
<b>Property Sales/Management</b>

Postby Charliechech » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:12 am

Hi Dusty

It's weird cause when friends are coming over from the UK and they ask if I want anything bringing, I actually struggle to think of something (except for a good magazine). But sometimes there is something, expecially when cooking, I think "oh I could do with some of this or some of that" when I can't find an alternative here in BG. Most of what I need is here I agree, but when it comes to curry sauce, then yes, we want it from the UK. Chech is Bulgarian and he wants curry sauce bringing over!

We may be unadventurous eaters, but I have been told that I make a mean chicken Kavarma and a rice dish that is a cross between Bulgarian and chinese!!!!! Total fluke, thank god I remembered what I put in it.

We are off to the UK in a few weeks and I will be bringing back curry sauce, hoi sin sauce, a few other dry ingrediants that I would like, but can live without if need be. It's just a treat that's all, we all deserve a treat. It is strange though, I made a list of things I wanted to bring back to Bulgaria and I have crossed a lot off the list!

What is great to know is that the Full Monty are there, not far away, with products on hand when needed, it is good to know. Thanks guys, hope it all goes well for you.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Dusty
Super User!
Super User!

Full Monty

Postby Dusty » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:22 am

I was speaking about home cooking. On the odd occasion we have eaten out I have found nothing wrong with Bulgarian food. Depends what you choose and how fussy you are as I previously said. Barbecue food can always be hit and miss but if you choose some of their unusual 'pot' meals they are tender and delicious.
I know the meat counters are not stocked with recognisable cuts of meat but I have bought many kinds and if I am not sure what it is I cook it for a long time in a stew with lots of their lovely veg (or mine out of the garden!) and find it comes out delicious. Some things are very 'Bulgarian" but if you dont like it just try something else. Its a great feeling when a dish comes out spectacularly good and its only a minor hiccup in lifes rich pattern if it doesn't quite work. Its really offensive to slag off Bulgarian food in one sentence - there are some pretty awful English restaurants around and how relevant is the point that Indians eat curry? They mostly live fulltime in England and there are many of them whilst there are still few Brits living permanently in Bulgaria and if people with holiday homes cant go 2 weeks without English food I despair. :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Dusty
Super User!
Super User!

Full Monty

Postby Dusty » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:30 am

One last thing - you dont need curry sauce to make a good curry! There is curry powder available in Bulgaria and lentils, Paprika (sweet and hot) plus a huge variety of herbs and spices. Be adventurous. You can also make your own chutney to go with it. Even mangoes can be obtained at a cost. I doubt our Asian friends buy ready made curry sauces.
I have recently found a range of Chinese products in CBA but they are horrendously expensive but they are imported from Greece! Just a thought, I think that the Full Monty must have to charge quite a high price for UK products which incidentally can be bought through the internet with a minimum charge of 30GBP for 4 kilos I think. I still wish them well because its obvious my words are falling on deaf ears and I also love cooking. :D :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Charliechech
<b>Property Sales/Management</b>

Postby Charliechech » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:33 am

Chech tells me I'm "bl**dy fussy' (in his words) when it comes to food and my mum and dad would agree with him, but I am more adventurous now. There are some dishes I really wouldn't touch, but ohhhhh the meat dishes are fantastic, nothing better than a good meat dish and a gorgeous salad. Ahhh Dusty talking about food has started my belly rumbling so I'm off for dinner.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
tatz2003

Postby tatz2003 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:03 am

mixer wrote:glad to hear, that you are legal, so many british come to my country and set up companys and think they can ignor the law. so good luck to you.

Yes we have the same problem in my country but on a much larger scale :)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Simonita
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Simonita » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:08 am

I'm not sure that people are that different. Tescos in Aldershot now has a section of Polish brands for the (sizeable) ex-pat community, and there is also a fabulous Polish grocers in the town centre. In the same road there are two Nepalese grocers for the Gurkhas, and a Carribean shop. The Nepalese shops are interesting in that they stock "English" brands that I remember from childhood, but which are now not obtainable from English shops (Zam Buk, Sunlight Soap). A lots of these products appear to be still made in former parts of the empire such as South Africa. It's quite good to browse the shops and put together a meal: a couple of weeks back we had Polish herrings in cream followed by Nepalese lamb kebabs. Most French supermarkets now have sections of English foods, and I guess that Piccadilly/Metro in BG will catch on too in time.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
hoover
Super User!
Super User!

food shops

Postby hoover » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:58 pm

hi
glad to hear, that you are legal, so many british come to my country and set up companys and think they can ignor the law. so good luck to you.

so can anyone tell me what license's do you need to sell food from home or cook and sell food from home as i am considering renovating my burn into a kitchen/shop for selling uk items

please pm me in you cna help with any info

mike

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
chinabike
<b>British/Speciality Food Supplier</b>

the full monty V.T

Postby chinabike » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:03 pm

HI Everyone
Just to let you know , we have a new shipment of products arriving at the end of next week.
We think we should have over forty new lines for this next month.
Anyone who is interested , please contact us at : thefullmontybg@gmail.com
Thanks, and keep looking out , as we hope to have our new website available for ordering online , by the end of the month.
We can now also deliver to most parts of Bulgaria with a little notice.
Bye for now, and thanks to everyone who has been so supportive in our new venture...
( thefullmontybg)

Return to “Shops, Furnishers, Retailers & Suppliers”