Would it be a mistake?

Find recommendations here of where to buy!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
SheilaP

Would it be a mistake?

Postby SheilaP » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:34 pm

Hi all,

Please forgive the length of this post but we have some big decisions,(for us), to make later this year and thought some of you could possibly offer some much needed advice. In March aged 64, we will be able to retire. We have a little place in the Rose valley that is small but completely renovated. For the past nine years or so, we have been coming out to use it for a few weeks at a time- mostly to paraglide, enjoy the weather, the countryside, the general ambiance and people of the country. Over the years, I have been quite conscientious in trying to learn the language but simply don't get to hear or speak it enough to have made any real headway. After a few weeks in BG we begin to miss all those hundreds of micro connections that tie you to a place and culture and then we start to feel a bit adrift and disconnected. It's a feeling that no matter what, Bulgaria could never really feel like 'home'. We have travelled extensively throughout our lives and lived in other countries so to be honest, we are a bit surprised to feel this way. Maybe not speaking the language fluently and being that much older and away from family are behind these feelings but whatever the reason, it has surprised us.

Would it be a mistake to give up work and come out in March for three or four months and then again in September for a while and try and make a life in two different countries? Has anyone on here done it and if so how has it been? I realise that the only real way of knowing is to bite the bullet and give it a go but.....We are very close to our children and grandchildren and worry we would miss them and not be around to help if needed. We would be keeping our house in Wales though,(God, this sounds so spoilt), so do realise how lucky we are to have such 'difficult' choices to make!).

Finally, if we do take the plunge, we were thinking of trading in our beloved Mitsubishi which we keep with a friend out there and possibly get a new Great Wall 4x4 - assembled near Lovech - to travel around neighbouring countries and explore Bulgaria furthet. They seem to sell for around 25,000 lev and after 4 or five years we could perhaps sell it on and fully embrace our dotage back here in bighty! Any pointers would be much appreciated and again excuse the length of this post.
Many thanks.
Sheila

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Anni
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Anni » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:52 pm

Seems like a sensible plan to me and one I have considered a number of times - until life throws another curve ball. :lol: :lol:

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your retirement.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:49 am

Dont make the choice unless you have to choose one or the other, that just puts pressure on that doesnt exist,you can go where you want when you want, you have a lock up and leave place in BG with good neighbours by the sound of it.

It sounds like you can have both

I kind of split my life now into 6 month chunks between UK and BG but sometimes more either way, it depends on work and how I feel. Down the years I have had similar mixed feelings and decided to just go with the flow......however if I was financially secure I would probably live in BG.

I have offloaded my property in the UK and for all intents and purposes live in BG and work in the UK

Try staying for longer periods in BG the pangs seem to disappear the longer you are there

Not fully understanding the language has its advantages

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
SheilaP

Postby SheilaP » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:18 pm

Thanks both. We have just come back after a a beautifully sunny two week stay in Sopot.
We drove through Troyan too! We will give it a go probably in April- fingers crossed we don't get to feel too homesick. One useful change is Wizzair will start operating flights from Bristol next Spring so that will be helpful.

Troyan, good Bulgarian friends have kept our Mitsiubishii, (yes she of the registration saga a few years bacK!), in a lockup for us. Completely safe and unused. However it is now twenty years old and although we wouldn't want to push our luck by going too far afield. We thought the Bulgarian assembled Great Wall S.might prove a more reliable option.

Thanks for your helpful comments. Life has a habit of throwing curved balls at us all but hopefully, we might get to meet some of you in the near future!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
izitbcoziizblack

Postby izitbcoziizblack » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:05 am

Yes it would be a mistake to live there full time. I can say this categorically as thousands have loved BG via holidays and then when moved there that love affair with Bg quickly turned into a big nightmare.

In your case i feel it is would be double stupid,,, becoz you have already realized you don't feel 100% happy there. Believe me, holidays, long stays are VERY different from actually living there.

If you only have 20,000 euros to buy a house, then BG may be an option for a Brit. But if you have more than this do yourself a BIG favor, buy in Spain, portugal, france, even America or infact many countries you can buy a house for 25,0000.

There are thousands of people that will tell you what i,m gunna, the culture is polar ends apart from the Brit culture and unless you are a Brit Gypsy it will eat at you in so many ways. Manners, respect, honesty, civilness, corruption, vulgarness, selfishness, just to name a few.

DON'T DO IT

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:47 am

Having lived and worked with the Spanish I feel that their culture is even further incompatible with ours.

Quite a lot of people I have spoken to also say the same about Americans, they may speak the same language but are very different.

I have always felt our culture is very compatible with BG, there are obvious differences and a few gulfs.......... but that doesnt mean incompatible. I have learned a few things on how to conduct certain situations from Bulgarians.

I dont get homesick although can feel isolated on a bad day but happily few and far between

Not convinced on the Great Wall cars Sheila, they do look the part but arent that cheap

You are actually very close to my place in summer anyway just over the Troyan Pass,I recently passed through Sopot and stopped in the Museum at Kalofer, somehow I always spend winters in bg lately

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:52 am

Well, I'd say "just do it"!

I'm a little older than you but I've been here for a fair few years and frankly wouldn't live anywhere else. I imagine if you lived here full-time, your family would soon find excuses to visit you - possibly even TOO often ;) - and you've picked a nice part of the country as well. Bear in mind that this is YOUR life and the older you get, the faster it goes! Skype is a great way to keep in contact anyway and adding on a subscription to enable you to call UK landlines is only about a fiver a month - handy for family, banks, companies, government departments etc. I've lived in several countries, including France, over the years and Bulgaria still tops my list.

You'll get the hang of the language quickly enough, once you spend more time here and younger folk, especially school children, tend to have at least some command of English (often more than some of the Brits you'll encounter here, frankly :roll: ). You'll also find that you can communicate with most people with pretty rudimentary Bulgarian and the temptation will be to stop trying once you reach that stage - I found that watching BG TV, especially films in English with sub-titles is a great way to improve your language skill and you'll soon be complaining that the sub-titles are wrong or incomplete! 8)

Re the car - nursing an old car alon isn't especially expensive here, so is definitely an option. In my view, the jury's still out on Great Wall and the price you cite is for a pretty basic model. I recently bought a new car and after extensive research went for the Dacia New Duster - a fully-loaded top of the range model will set you back around BGN30,000 and that includes the, in my view essential, LPG conversion - gas is currently at 91 stotinki a litre as against petrol/diesel at c2.60 leva. I'm VERY happy with the car - and I don't work for Renault/Dacia! :D

As for
Manners, respect, honesty, civilness, corruption, vulgarness, selfishness, just to name a few.

clearly the writer hasn't ventured onto the streets of the UK in the last decade or two and I've never encountered any lack of those qualities here in Bulgaria.....

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:40 am

izitbcoziizblack wrote:If you only have 20,000 euros to buy a house

Did you even read the post?

Spending a few months a year at the nicest times weather wise seems to be a very smart move and something I would certainly recommend. It also allows you to do more things like plant a garden if you're into that sort of thing and actually live in the place rather than just visit it. At the end of the day 3 months is hardly a lifetime and you can easily catch up with people when you get back. I use facetime on the ipad to keep in contact with people back in the UK.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:28 pm

Seedy wrote:As for
Manners, respect, honesty, civilness, corruption, vulgarness, selfishness, just to name a few.

clearly the writer hasn't ventured onto the streets of the UK in the last decade or two and I've never encountered any lack of those qualities here in Bulgaria.....

I agree, there's no lack of corruption in Bulgaria. 8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:01 pm

Do you have an Exit Strategy ? What happens if you decide after a while that it is not for you ?

Return to “Shops, Furnishers, Retailers & Suppliers”