Would it be a mistake?

Find recommendations here of where to buy!

Moderator: Moderator

mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:05 pm

scot47 wrote:Do you have an Exit Strategy ? What happens if you decide after a while that it is not for you ?

I think SheilaP has very clearly explained the scenario, scot... As I see it, the proposal is to visit and perhaps gradually increase the time they spend in BG. Retirement has arrived/will soon arrive and I guess with it, some financial stability without the need to work. They are retaining their house in Wales and so it seems to me that no 'exit strategy' is needed as such. If it doesn't suit them here they just cut back on time spent in BG and start to re-establish firmer roots in the UK...

A sensible and pleasant situation to be in, IMHO - Far better than those dreamers who have and leave nothing in the UK, arrive with almost nothing but a fairly unrealisable dream in BG - and then wonder why it all goes wrong.

I think SheilaP is being very sensible.. The only thing I would question is why she is bothering to ask people here for their views. Perhaps for reassurance? You are the only people who ultimately can make the decision but are in the happy situation that it doesn't need to be made at any defined time, you have relatively easy ways back at any time if you so wish - or relatively easy means of staying if you so choose. Little by little, maybe (Btw - like others, I love it here!)

Re the car: I'd stick with the good old reliable what-you-have-already. As someone has said, it's quite inexpensive to keep an older car on the road here... Even the danak gets cheaper as the car ages! Bin the car only if something quite major goes wrong...

All the best whatever you choose... :)

johndoe3

Postby johndoe3 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:34 pm

What ever happens, you can always come back to the UK. 8O

MIK_bg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby MIK_bg » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:48 pm

Your opening post seems to contain all the ingredients for a failure...clearly you are psychologically dependent to your family, friends and culture. Language or not, culture and lifestyle will block you to enjoy more bulgaria on social level.. Which sounds to be a great part of your life.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:38 pm

If you uproot yourself from GB then the time will come when you want to go back. Nothing surer.

SheilaP

Postby SheilaP » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:32 pm

Thanks all for your opinions and advice. We will keep the old Mitsy and see how it pans out. Only concern would be if we head off for Montenegro, Croatia, Turkey or wherever-would hate to breakdown in God knows where and be stranded. Having said that, we drove it from Wales and all around northern Greece and it didn't miss a beat!
Whatever way it goes, our time in BG will max out at 5 months a year at most. We both have so many things we like doing in the UK including enjoying and helping out with our still young grandkids we wouldn't want to be away too long.

Things we are looking forward to in BG
1. Gardening
2. Learning the language - or at least trying too!
3 motorbiking
4 Paragliding
5. Hiking
6. Spending time with our BG neighbours
7. Visiting other parts of BG and other neighbouring countries.
8. Using BG trains
9 Ovchartska salads
10. The wine (and rakia!) of the Rose valley
11. Sunshine, the wildlife slower pace of life....it's a long list!
Thanks all.

norman
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby norman » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:38 pm

Sheila - you are a good, multi tasked person. With a real attitude to life.

You have got the means, and a property in Bulgaria.

Go for it, but only mix with positive people. It rubs off :)

fred
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fred » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:26 pm

Hi Sheila

What you are planning is exactly what me and the missus plan to do when we retire, x amount of time in BG and x amount of time in GB, perfect life.

Only difference between us is we live in London, have no grandchildren and are starting to dabble in long distance public transport.

We also intend to use our Bulgarian place as a base and go off to points north west and south but we will most likely do it by bus, boat and train. It's kinda fun, when you get used to the general air of uncertainty.

As for the old Mitsy, well what if it does croak while you are on the road somewhere, book into a hotel, get yourself online and work out how to get back home by other means, relax and think of it as an adventure, don't forget, now that you are retired you are off the clock, you don't have to be anywhere for anything.

If you get off the beaten track and use public transport your journeys will be longer and slightly less comfortable. On the plus side, they will be cheaper and the people you encounter will view you differently, it's interesting, trust me. It took my wife ages to get me to go down this road but now I am a convert. Don't forget, if you want to explore a region in more detail you can always hire a car for a few days where ever you are, the internet has made all of this so much easier than it has ever been before.

I didn't really understand what the question was in your original post, neither did a lot of other people judging by the replies you got. While I was writing this the penny dropped. I think you are wondering, can I really do this, b**ger off and please myself, not stay at home and think always of the comfort of others, go where ever I want on a whim and do what I please. The answer is yes of course you can, anybody who wants to stop you is a selfish bastard and not worth consideration, you've earned it, enjoy your retirement.

Cheers Fred.

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Mon May 30, 2016 10:44 pm

SheilaP

saw this on ebay and thought about your dilema........you could have a LHD Duster on GB plates

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-DACIA-DU ... SwBs1XMeOQ

SheilaP

Postby SheilaP » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:50 pm

Thanks Fred and Troyan. Well a shortish update. We have just come back to Wales after spending the whole of May in our little place in the Rose Valley- I say whole time but we did squeeze in a two thousand mile trek around BG and then Romania ending up in Dracula's castle in Transylvania! We hired a small new fiesta for the road trip but plan to resurrect the Mitsubishi in September and if that fails, we are considering getting a Duster. How strange you should suggest this option, Troyan! We went to see a Dealer in Sofia regarding the latter and if their quote holds, you do seem to get a better version for approximately £2000 less than back in the UK.

So all in all, we had a pretty good time. Even managed to do some rose bush planting and hope to put some fruit trees in next September. Hope you guys are having fun too. All the best and will keep you posted on our next adventure- Macedonia, Albania, Montenegro and Croatia hopefully....

mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:40 pm

If you're seriously considering a Duster, SheilaP, you might find this link worth a read. Some useful info and the model is generally well thought of by Honest John. However, it also has a few little wrinkles (see 'Good and Bad' section) which it's good to be aware of.

The review and comments are about the UK spec - The European spec may differ - but it still makes interesting reading nonetheless.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/dacia/duster-2012/

Return to “Shops, Furnishers, Retailers & Suppliers”