Would it be a mistake?

Find recommendations here of where to buy!

Moderator: Moderator

bigbulg
<b>Legal Services</b>

Postby bigbulg » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:38 am

SheilaP wrote:Sounds like a really nice route.

We are thinking of going via France, Belgium Germany, Austria, Slovenia, and a bit of Italy in September; and then on through Croatia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Albania, Greece and then home to the Valley of the Roses. It will be more about the journey rather than getting to Bulgaria quickly as you've probably guessed!

Having driven 2000 miles around BG and Romania recently, an up to date satnav will be an absolute must backed up with maps for the southern leg of the journey. Just hope we are still part of Europe when we do it.

You can get cheap unbranded sat navs off Ebay with free map updates for less than £30, i just got a new one after the battery failed on my old unit, double checked on Google maps to see if the new roads are on, and its ok.

SheilaP

Postby SheilaP » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:24 pm

Thank you. Any particular recommendations? Think we would like to have a 7'' inch with all of Europe on it: north - south, east and west.

Thanks.

mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:49 am

Garmin and TomTom are probably the best-sellers, although sales of stand-alone GPS devices have dropped off in more recent years owing to more manufacturers now incorporating factory-fitted, in-built systems into their cars and also the availability of navigation by mobile phone.

I have a Garmin 850 which was bought many years ago and I download updated maps free from sources other than Garmin as and when required.

Put 'Garmin' or 'TomTom' into an Ebay search and you'll get some idea of what's available relative to what you want to pay. There are also many review sites for GPS systems, such as here:- https://www.google.bg/#q=GPS+review

MIK_bg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby MIK_bg » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:32 pm

Stand alone devices are today a trap. They update maps 2/4 times year and prices are high. Maps are usually good quality but overall huge ammount of data that will make your device obsolete very quickly (despite they all fit additional memories) but mostly the processor will not suffice. In a couple of years your investement will be worthless.

If you have any decent smart phone you can install commercial maps, even open maps wich are free. Quality of free maps are lower but they are getting better day by day as the community of people updating informations grows. It updates often under wifi. Free maps are lighter. The real problem is that statistically they report as feasable roads, off roads and secondary roads especially in most rural areas or smaller countries. This happen also with commercial maps too. Free ones seems just to do it more often.

If you don't have a device buy one with gps + glonass (the russian gps...way better). Usually on devices with snapdragon processor.

You gonna change your smart phone anyway in two years and the one you get will always have better screen / processor /ram of any stand alone gps.

Another feature a smart phone offers as gps is to have also google earth, wikimapia or tracking /military road installed. So you can always double check visually or gather more information.

Always use your device way before you gonna need it for long trips. So you will discover any glitch or any missunderstanding about set up and preferences.

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:13 pm

my approach is similar, I use maps primarily and phone to find specific addresses

however for sheilaP s route would be expensive as data outside the eu as in Serbia is very high as I found out last year

i would go with mememes tomtom suggestion

MIK_bg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby MIK_bg » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:31 am

Maps work offline, no need to have an internet connection while on the move.
For additional apps as wikimapia, google earth or hicking maps you can always load before you go to your next location, it will be stored in cache. Some apps automatically download specific tiles of maps so you are fine to use them offline without needing the internet.

By blocking the access to internet to the app if not under wifi, you can avoid also the A-gps to use internet traffic.

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:27 am

Then the phone becomes a map MIK not a satnav

when driving maps are no good in cities trying to find an address or coordinates,which was my point. the satnav is good for one way systems in urban areas

my point was data is very expensive in non eu countries so a satnav would be sheilaPs best option

MIK_bg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby MIK_bg » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:06 am

Hun? It works exactly like a navigator, nor less. Isnt like you are going around reading maps while driving. A gps device is just a downgraded low performance device. It has nothing more than a smartphone a part from traffic radio system receiver.
You can install even any major navigation system software on android or apple or windows.

No need of internet traffic while using the gps for navigation if you switch off the a-gps who uses cellphone network to get quicker position at start up. Block it from using thee internet while not under wifi and it will work only with gps or glonass.

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:19 am

interesting......thanks for explaining ......so where can I download glonas to my smartphone. I have samsung android

MIK_bg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby MIK_bg » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:19 pm

No, the glonass is a receiver antenna system inside the processor.
Most have gps or a-gps, some have gps + glonass. Usually phones or tablets with the snapdragon processor but also devices featuring notebook processors as asus phones/tablets. Glonass is way, way more more riable and precise than gps as gps (US defence controlled) is a dumbed down system for civilian and commercial use...to avoid to use it for shoting missiles. Russians Glonass and European Galileo are civilian projects too but they offer better quality. You can drive a drone without problem.

When war starts they may choose to switch off civilians use. So do not trow your maps and compass too soon.

Just go to android play store and chose yourself between free, free+upgrade or commercial software. I use Navigator free. Not as good as my Navigon but it's okay.

Return to “Shops, Furnishers, Retailers & Suppliers”