Looking to buy in Rodopi

Need advice from fellow purchasers or sellers? Ask the experts here and swap experiences.

Moderator: Moderator

Springerlabs

Postby Springerlabs » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:32 pm

I have noticed that expats are now relocating to the Rhodopi`s , I must say after much research we found these mountains to be the prettiest, the East and the West are different in steepness, around Smolyan is steep pine hills pretty houses and villa`s cluster within them its a lovely drive from Kurdzhali to Smolyan and the best Potatoes in BG come from this town the longest town in Bulgaria we were told ! Banite is very nice as I remember , though havent visited fo 7 years , and was is ? a spa resort .
The East Rhodopi mountains are more rolling of mixed Oak, Lime, Pine, etc so I am going to be bias and say far prettier due to the four seasons and changes in pictures, the month of June is most colourful with a rainbow of coloured wild flowers and herbed meadows......for a hiker a perfect time of year to visit this area. Those that have knowledge of mushrooms Spring and Autumn can be found in abundance even the truffle is found here. Apart from the beauty, and nature this area isnt far from civilisation ie supermarkets.....and amenities ! The villagers are friendly and helpful and consist of Bulgarians a non Gypsy district . Not that I have a problem with the Gypsies I have found them hard working .

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:37 am

There are two very good maps available spliting the Rhodope into West and East, from where we are Smolyan is bang in the center! We are on the most Western edge, overlooking the Pirin and Greek mountains, and we love it here. The mildness of the winters and the breezes that modify the hot summers is what originally attracted us. Other areas seem to have a lot more foggy days as well?

The maps are green and yellow by Kartographia, 1:100000 tourist maps. Interesting writeup on the rhodopes here

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/travel/ar ... ulgaria.do

AJ4221

Postby AJ4221 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:56 am

I'm guessing you guys are just using your houses as holiday homes. Has anyone ever spent the winter there? I would imagine access to be a bit of a nightmare with the roads but I could be wrong.

Dreanas
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Dreanas » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:03 am

AJ4221 wrote:I'm guessing you guys are just using your houses as holiday homes. Has anyone ever spent the winter there? I would imagine access to be a bit of a nightmare with the roads but I could be wrong.

Hi AJ4221, I have been in Bulgaria for most of the last 3 winters in a village near the Pamporovo ski resort. The winters are beautiful with the snow on the ground as Pamporovo is known as the most sunniest ski resort. It is magical.

With winter tyres on and the roads cleared and gritted almost before the first snowflake hits the ground it is no worse than anywhere else. Bulgaria is geared up for the winter season unlike the UK when everyone runs round in a panic AFTER the snow has fallen.

dreanas

OldHolborn

Postby OldHolborn » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:22 am

Here's a blog by a guy happily living in Samidova in the Rhodopes

http://www.thegudlife.com/blog/

And here's a diary of a 62 year old English woman living near Djebel

http://elsapeters.com/cgi-bin/mydiary/Blah.pl

owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:20 pm

AJ4221 wrote:I'm guessing you guys are just using your houses as holiday homes. Has anyone ever spent the winter there? I would imagine access to be a bit of a nightmare with the roads but I could be wrong.

Bulgaria is well prepared for the Winter. You'd be surprised where a set of Winter tyres can take you :wink:

Springerlabs

Postby Springerlabs » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:17 pm

We have been living in the East Rhodopi Mts for over 6 years, and we love it here, so much exploring to do and a walk in the snow with the sun streaming down makes for an exclellent photo safari. Our village Pokrovan is accessable throughout the snowy winter months as ploughed on a regular basis for the locals to travel without hindrance.......I was visiting my family in the Uk while snow fell and all came to a standstill ? England is never prepared for snow and no-one seems to know how to drive in snow, unlike here prepared with winter tyres, chains , and the good ole Lada Niva which brits might mock but eats everything put in front of the little motor, a go anywhere car we have had some fun in ours off roading up the dirt tracks. Winter has a kind of romance about it here, log fires , hotpot , crumbles , looking out over the mountain ranges all crisp and white, as long as you are prepared then its plain sailing :)

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:36 pm

Springerlabs wrote
Winter has a kind of romance about it here, log fires , hotpot , crumbles , looking out over the mountain ranges all crisp and white, as long as you are prepared then its plain sailing

You forgot the rakia :wink:

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:26 pm

Full time here for the last four years. Snow is rarely a problem here, we get a foot high max and it is usually gone in a few days.

Springerlabs

Postby Springerlabs » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:49 pm

spantrout wrote:Springerlabs wrote
Winter has a kind of romance about it here, log fires , hotpot , crumbles , looking out over the mountain ranges all crisp and white, as long as you are prepared then its plain sailing

You forgot the rakia :wink:

Sorry Spantrout i dont drink it myself, but a warming tipple for those who do.

For those that are worried about the snow, the Eastern Rhodopi mts have a more mediteranean climate, therefore is warmer than the Western side and Veliko Tarnovo where my brother lives and freezes. i have BBQ`d on a Snow covered mountain with sun streaming blue sky with not a cloud to be seen , Heaven !

Return to “Property Buying/Selling Advice”