Bulgarian Solicitors (all areas)

Need advice from fellow purchasers or sellers? Ask the experts here and swap experiences.

Moderator: Moderator

HUOTP
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Bulgarian Solicitors (all areas)

Postby HUOTP » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:39 am

Just thought I'd re-post my link to Bulgarian Solicitors with a more general heading as the 10 pages of solicitors are spread around all areas of Bulgaria, just click on their names and it will link you to their web site if they have one

regards

HUOTP

http://www.need.bg/en/?c=141&page=0

bagheera
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Re: Bulgarian Solicitors (all areas)

Postby bagheera » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:55 pm

Hi everyone

Viewed website of Bulgarian solicitors, there are so many to choose from. It difficult to know the good solicitors from the bad solicitors.

Can anyone help recommend a good Bulgarian solicitor they used for buying property in Bulgaria. Important must be able to speak good English and preferably based in Sofia area.

mozaic
<b>Prop Management/Rentals/Transport</b>

Postby mozaic » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:48 pm

Another place to search for solicitors is

HG.org

Good luck!

happy2day

Postby happy2day » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:57 pm

I used a company to help me in these areas, they held my hand whilst buying a house south of Yambol.
i am now in the renovation stages and they have been keeping an eye on the project, bills, etc.... The owner lives in Bulgaria and is married to a Bulgarian lawer (always very useful)
if you would like me to shre the company detail with you just shout

best regards

Ade

the_lawyer
<b>Legal Services</b>

Lawyer

Postby the_lawyer » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:25 am

Choosing of a lawyer strictly depends from your needs - is it only for consultation or it also includes a representation and protection of your interests in front of the developers, notary public, municipality ect.
As it was mentioned above, there are many solicitors, so the choice is yours.
Regards,
Dimitar

Cabbage
<b>Lawyer</b>

Postby Cabbage » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:45 pm

In Bulgaria nothing has to be taken for granted. Just because someone introduces himself as a lawyer doesn’t mean that he’s indeed registered as one. I know from experience that there are people posing as lawyers who are not registered. What a private web site says is of no importance as no one controls the content of the web sites in this respect. In theory the Supreme Bar Council has to punish those who pose as lawyers, however I haven’t heard of anybody ever been punished. So the control is left to you! 8O You could ask the person to show you his official certificate (the one with his photo!) and thus to check not only if he or she has one, but if it’s stamped for the current year. Besides you could check if his name appears on the list of the registered lawyers in Bulgaria, the latter is published on the net by the State Gazette as this is the newspaper that every year publishes the list of all lawyers in Republic of Bulgaria. Under Article 50 of the Bar association act lawyers in Bulgaria are insured against errors that resulted in injury to their clients. Thus the insurer pays the buyer for the lawyer's errors. This is not the case if you are represented by somebody that’s posing as a lawyer but actually is not registered as one. And one more thing, although not very important. Everyone is talking of solicitors and there are none in Bulgaria. Under Bulgarian legislation there's no distinction between solicitors and barristers so these 2 words are not appropriate for the local attorneys at law because there are neither solicitors nor barristers. The law calls the local lawyers “advocates”. I guess that the word “lawyer” is o. k. because it implies that the person is registered professionally.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:59 am

As "Cabbage" points out the distinction in the English legal system between solicitior and barrister does not apply in Bulgaria. As in other fields, many people stick to all the assumptions that they grew up with back home !

Things are different in Bulgaria !

Cabbage
<b>Lawyer</b>

Postby Cabbage » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:44 am

Totally agree with the above post. Westerners – both buyers and agents – who come from well arranged states and well settled societies can’t comprehend how it’s possible in Bulgaria, a EU member-state, there to be persons who pose as lawyers for years not actually being lawyers. That presumption on part of the clients is one of the reasons there to be a lot of fake “lawyers”! :evil: The agents may afford not to be diligent here, so it’s up to the buyers to be as their money is on the line. Another detail (the devil is in the details!). The number under the stamp for the current year has to be the same as the number under which the State Gazette (its web site respectively) has published the name of the lawyer. Let me cover one more point. Not being able to claim compensation from an insurer is just one of the problems a buyer will have because he used unknowingly a fake lawyer. The other is that he will receive a substandard service. Everything happens for a reason. The person that’s not a registered lawyer has either not studied law, or he has not taken successfully his state exams, or he has not taken successfully his bar association examination (the one that most law graduates are not required to take) or finally he has not the required length of service. Under the Bulgarian legislation being a lawyer and being registered as one is the same thing. Thus if somebody tells you that he’s a lawyer although his name could not be found in the State Gazette, he either lies you or is not familiar with the Bar Association Act. Please remember: State Gazette is the only document that can’t be forged! 8) Good web design proves nothing but the ability to design web sites well.

FENDER

OFFPLAN,VAT,LAWYERS-BUYER BEWARE/SHARP PRACTICES

Postby FENDER » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:22 am

I wrote a while back about a company called TEMIS Consulting based in Pirotska Str 12, Sofia, they are advocats who will soon be offering villas/apartments 300m from the gates of the Blacksearama golf course (Important to note they are not associated in any way with Blacksearama golf course), buyer beware!. Because I made some "noises" about the build quality & size of one of the apartments I bought from TEMIS being smaller by 2m than the size I paid for, the developer M & K Engineering who they represent(who have a project in Monastirski Livardi), is refusing to transfer ownership unless I pay the VAT AGAIN in CASH. I had already paid this in full, but TEMIS insist unless I pay it again, they will not notarise. Temis told me "you can pay the VAT & get the VAT returned or take us to court, it would take 3 to 5 years " The agent I initially used, The Bulgarian Property Shop 1 Verila Str just told me to get a lawyer.
So I employed a lawyer who came highly recommended through a woman called PEPITA GONTCHAROVA who has an office on fl. 5, office 6, 90 Vitosha Blvd called Real real estate. The Lawyer's name is TOTYO STOYANOV IVANOV based on Pozitano Str 14 office opposite the court, he took 2,000bgn & promised me 2 notary deeds for both apartments in 1 month. That was 6 months ago. He was not as good as PEPITA GONTCHAROVA said, and on 2 occasions TOTYO STOYANOV IVANOV offered to LEAVE the case UNFINISHED & return my money. I decided to accept his offer in an email letter. He left the case, but refuses to return my money. PEPITA GONTCHAROVA who recommended him said "he was only joking in offering to return my money & would not continue with the case". So 2,000bgn for what?. I trusted PEPITA GONTCHAROVA totally in her recommendation & stewardship of the situation, so much so that the contract she oversaw only states "consultation" with no clear performance criterea from Totio Ivanov.
I write this to warn others of the "sharp practices" out there.
This office will ‘groom’ you and then take you. Each member will play a role in marking up the price of an offer My agricultural land purchase experience- This office sold me 7.2 decares for 72,000 euros (2,000 euros OVERT commission) The Farm Manager recently informed me that my plot had always been worth 8,400 leva (7.2 x 1200 leva decare) or 3,711.73 euros!
66, 290 euros mark-up + 2000 euros overt commission = 68200 euros COVERT ‘commission’
I now realize that I was another victim along with all the others that I witnessed being ripped off mercilessly by this office.
I see that the Seller Georgi Ivanov shares the same family name as Totio Ivanov who is this office’s advocate. Its all too clear now that I was ‘played’ by the people I had previously trusted and paid as already stated 2,000 leva to represent me.
Office http://www.actualnofinancevip.com/
Agents Lubomir Antonov +359 879 466 987 lubo@simproperty.com
Darina Ivanova http://en.realestates.bg/5727928
PEPITA GONTCHAROVA aka STANCHEVA, TOTYO STOYANOV IVANOV https://tr.bivol.bg/view.php?guid=175170786

The discussion for this specific case can be found and discussed here:
http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php? ... 325#304325
Mod 8)
Last edited by FENDER on Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:02 am, edited 9 times in total.

advpetrov
<b>Property Sales/Legal Services</b>

chosing a solicitor,

Postby advpetrov » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:12 pm

Dear all,
the best way to recognize the good solicitor, is the price of his legal fee. An independent solicitor, who shall follow your interests, should charge you 1000-2000 Euros. Every lower legal fee for a property purchase means that the lawyer has taken the outstanding amount of his fees by the developer, in other words - in such a case you shall be looking for a new solicitor after a while, when you mee up with your invertment.

Better ensure you find an independent Bulgarian Solicitor, before you point a property.

Good luck!

Return to “Property Buying/Selling Advice”