Bulgarian Solicitors (all areas)

Need advice from fellow purchasers or sellers? Ask the experts here and swap experiences.

Moderator: Moderator

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:51 pm

Well, I guess it depends on what constitutes an "official" document.

Rocky7
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Rocky7 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:07 pm

By 'official documents' I presume Cabbage means things like application forms that are produced by the authorities for a specific purpose and those authorities will accept no other substitute such as English versions or even english translations. This is why a POA is needed if you don't want to sign BG documents.

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:40 pm

You're probably right Rocky7.

If that is the case, what I find ironic is that typically the details entered on an application form would not change (apart from character set) regardless of what language the document was in, hence little room for misinterpretation, whereas a POA, with its freeform content could be relatively easily misconstrued when translated (I assume that you are going to have to translate an English POA for the benefit of the notary, or whatever non-English-speaking person is going to rely on it, when actioned by its holder).

Rocky7
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Rocky7 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:34 pm

B52 wrote:whereas a POA, with its freeform content could be relatively easily misconstrued when translated
Yes, this could be a problem and is why the lawyer has to have excellent/perfect English writing skills. It is a lawyers job to write the POAs in English. He can't write them in Bulgarian and then expect them to be translated into perfect English by a translator. By the time the English version is re-translated back into Bulgarian it would probably have a different meaning to the original.

Yes, the POAs would have to be translated to show the Notary. Ok,, there could be a miss translation here but hopefully the lawyer would make the translators do it again. Would the translators be liable if they mis-translated a document? All the proof of the translator's mistakes would be there in writing.

Cabbage
<b>Lawyer</b>

Postby Cabbage » Sat May 02, 2009 7:38 pm

Rocky7 wrote:By 'official documents' I presume Cabbage means things like application forms that are produced by the authorities for a specific purpose and those authorities will accept no other substitute such as English versions or even english translations. This is why a POA is needed if you don't want to sign BG documents.

No Rocky. Let me try to translate it in English. A document is not a private one, but an official one when all the following is in place:
1. It is issued by an official
2. in the scope of his competence
3. following the procedure envisaged of the law and
4. in the form prescribed by the law.
So basically a document is official when issuing it is envisaged in the law and by an official. Thus a POA is clearly a private document as it may be issued by anybody. The certification on it made by a notary is however an official document. So we talk of one sheet of paper that contains more than one document here.

An application form signed by you is clearly a private document. Whether there’s an application form or not says nothing of whether the document is private or an official one.

More on the interpreters. The law (say Article 582 of the Civil procedural code) does not require any officially recognized qualifications. And indeed such qualifications are not necessary. What is required is the interpreter to understand you and you to understand the interpreter. For example I’ve acted as interpreter in cases where I have not been empowered (otherwise I have no right to as there will be conflict of interests) because I speak English although I have no diploma or anything. I may make occasional grammatical errors but I have no problem interpreting a title deed.

WELLY

Re: chosing a solicitor,

Postby WELLY » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:18 pm

advpetrov wrote:Dear all,
the best way to recognize the good solicitor, is the price of his legal fee. An independent solicitor, who shall follow your interests, should charge you 1000-2000 Euros. Every lower legal fee for a property purchase means that the lawyer has taken the outstanding amount of his fees by the developer, in other words - in such a case you shall be looking for a new solicitor after a while, when you mee up with your invertment.

Better ensure you find an independent Bulgarian Solicitor, before you point a property.

Good luck!

I have bulgarian friends who say their solicitors charge 20-30 euros / hour. Why are such huge sums quoted for English clients?
Isn't it cheaper to hire a good Bulgarian solicitore and a translator?

Omega

Postby Omega » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:57 am

Cabbage wrote:
Rocky7 wrote:By 'official documents' I presume Cabbage means things like application forms that are produced by the authorities for a specific purpose and those authorities will accept no other substitute such as English versions or even english translations. This is why a POA is needed if you don't want to sign BG documents.

No Rocky. Let me try to translate it in English. A document is not a private one, but an official one when all the following is in place:
1. It is issued by an official
2. in the scope of his competence
3. following the procedure envisaged of the law and
4. in the form prescribed by the law.
So basically a document is official when issuing it is envisaged in the law and by an official. Thus a POA is clearly a private document as it may be issued by anybody. The certification on it made by a notary is however an official document. So we talk of one sheet of paper that contains more than one document here.

An application form signed by you is clearly a private document. Whether there’s an application form or not says nothing of whether the document is private or an official one.

More on the interpreters. The law (say Article 582 of the Civil procedural code) does not require any officially recognized qualifications. And indeed such qualifications are not necessary. What is required is the interpreter to understand you and you to understand the interpreter. For example I’ve acted as interpreter in cases where I have not been empowered (otherwise I have no right to as there will be conflict of interests) because I speak English although I have no diploma or anything. I may make occasional grammatical errors but I have no problem interpreting a title deed.

You cannot expect from lawyers to both have legal education which is acquired for at least 8 years of study, and at the same time have perfect English. After all, they are Bulgarian lawyers and no one expects from them to speak perfect English. This is the role of translators having language education. Of course certified translators are well aware of the penal responsibility they bear for incorrect translation.
No one expects from lawyers to write power of attorney documents in more than one language - their mother tongue. Imagine some lawyer has several clients from different countries - does he need to know all their languages and make all documents in these foreign languages? This is just ridiculous.

Omega

Postby Omega » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:00 am

If I go to China and need lawyer services, will I expect the Chinese lawyer to write a POA for me in Bulgarian?

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:54 am

advpetrov wrote:the best way to recognize the good solicitor, is the price of his legal fee.

Yeah right! "Never mind the quality - feel the width!" :wink:

Omega

Postby Omega » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:22 am

Seedy wrote:
advpetrov wrote:the best way to recognize the good solicitor, is the price of his legal fee.

Yeah right! "Never mind the quality - feel the width!" :wink:

=D>

Return to “Property Buying/Selling Advice”