A WAKE UP call to would be house buyers

Need advice from fellow purchasers or sellers? Ask the experts here and swap experiences.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gerry
<b>Property Sales/Building Services</b>

Good quality building work.

Postby gerry » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:36 pm

Hi,
Well it does eem that there are a lot of unhappy people out there, glad I am not one. My name is Gerry Bartholomew and I live in Mlamolovo a small village about 14km from Dupnitsa. My wife and I have lived here for a little over 2 years now and we love it, the way of life is so free and easy. We have a business in Dupnitsa, an estate agency and we also have a building company. We started our building company about 9 months ago. After using local labour and finding it rather difficult to get good work done and not having it done on time or even finished! We were a little fed up. Now and we are finding work very good and have much more control over procedures. Our building work is based again mainly in the South West but we are currently building new villas in Tsarichino and Rogachevo by the coast and are happy to travel anywhere for work. We offer an excellent service to all of our customers and our prices are very reasonable. Full scale builds from 490 Euros per m2 and renovation quotes always available. We are not the cheapest and we are by no means the most expensive, but as with everything you get what you pay for . We could do building work for 300 Euros per m2 if we used cheap local inexperienced labour but we wont and we don’t, sorry. Well if you would like a quote for building work, or even just a chat, just contact me.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
keiamand
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby keiamand » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:44 pm

You will have water and electric if this is checked out first and you go with company that make sure all your requiements are met there for being cheaper

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gremlinuk
<b>Property Sales</B>

Agreed

Postby gremlinuk » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:51 pm

Last edited by gremlinuk on Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
wandy
<b>Building Services</b>

Postby wandy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:24 pm

Hi gerry
If you want to advertise your business , why don't you put it in helping hands , not ambush an interesting thread, No input JUST ADVERT.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
AJ113
<b>Property Sales</B>

Re: However

Postby AJ113 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:03 pm

gremlinuk wrote:..........However, you most likely wont have electricity, mains water and some nice stones from the old buildings to use as part building materials for the new house.
Quite, check out my gallery, all of my garden landscaping is constructed from stones of the house we demolished.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:25 pm

I would like to bring this thread forward as it does alert folks to the exact things that I am trying to find out before going to view properties and I do not know whether or not folks like Wandy are still active in Bulgaria.

It is all very well to have a survey carried out and I think it is a necessity, but I am likely to view a lot of properties before I choose the one I want and the one I want might not be the best building wise, but ideal for views, location and potential.

So, if I am only looking at solid stone cottages, what as a Layman, should I be looking for; how can I identify the type and soundness of footings and foundations etc. If I see large cracks or collapsed walls what does that indicate (other than it fell down).

When this thread started, the average price of new build was 400 to 450 Euros per square metre, what is it now?

What would be the price per sq meter to build a stone house and what are the average costs to repair stone houses per square metre.

As a matter of interest, what is the going or average rate for land these days in Bulgaria in some out of the way rural areas?

Thanks again in advance for any replies.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
AJ113
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby AJ113 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:55 pm

I think you may be on unsound ground yourself if you try to make your own structural assessment.

If I were in your shoes I would put in an offer for my chosen property and make it subject to survey. If the survey comes back a crock of sh!t you can use it to re-negotiate with the seller, or at the very least you will be going in to deal with your eyes open, and no nasty surprises awaiting you.

If you find hurdles in your way when you try to put a survey into operation, you can take it as read that the property is suspect. Any seller who is confident of their property would have no objection to a survey, and indeed should welcome it.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:02 pm

Sorry, but you have misunderstood me as I never suggested that I would or could undertake a structural survey myself.

What I was suggesting is that if I want to buy a second hand car is that I would check the model out first on such things as the Automobile Association site that would tell me where to look for rust and what were the usual problems with that particular model. Armed with information, I would not waste time or money bringing in a Garage Mechanic until I found one that looked the business and then I would bring in the Mechanic for his final approval.

I am just tying to find that AA site for Stone houses. :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
AJ113
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby AJ113 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:22 pm

Moscow_Wolf wrote:Sorry, but you have misunderstood me as I never suggested that I would or could undertake a structural survey myself.
Neither did I. Buying a house is not the same as buying a car. If you're going to get a surveyor in regardless, why try to assess the house yourself first? I think is a better idea to concentrate on the location rather than the condition. Condition can be changed, location cannot.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:09 am

AJ113 wrote:
Moscow_Wolf wrote:Sorry, but you have misunderstood me as I never suggested that I would or could undertake a structural survey myself.
Neither did I. Buying a house is not the same as buying a car. If you're going to get a surveyor in regardless, why try to assess the house yourself first? I think is a better idea to concentrate on the location rather than the condition. Condition can be changed, location cannot.

Because I may view 50 properties in two weeks and short-list say 10. If I am able to identify which of those 10 have the least problems (other than seeing that it is falling down) then I won't waste my money having a survey done on all 10.

Unfortunately, houses don't rust and don't have big ends that knock so, why can't you give me the answers I'm asking for instead of pushing me onto a location question. :wink:

Return to “Property Buying/Selling Advice”