A WAKE UP call to would be house buyers

Need advice from fellow purchasers or sellers? Ask the experts here and swap experiences.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
BVB
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby BVB » Sat May 17, 2008 9:24 am

All very interesting and valid points but I must point out that Moscow Wolf stopped listening about 3 weeks ago. :)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
stevetheyorky
Super User!
Super User!

Postby stevetheyorky » Sat May 17, 2008 10:32 am

BVB wrote:All very interesting and valid points but I must point out that Moscow Wolf stopped listening about 3 weeks ago. :)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Thu May 22, 2008 2:17 pm

Wandy's original posting made some very sound points but some others have made sweeping assumptions like in an ideal world everybody would like a modern house in an area that's poplar with other foreigners .I bought an old house because I like old houses , and although it was very cheap I was well aware that it would cost much more to renovate it . It's over a hundred years old and I intend to fix it up well enough to last another 100 , long after I'm gone ; if this costs me more than building something new so what , I don't care , I would consider it a crime to demolish it .I don't want to over renovate it either , I like wonky walls and floors , so long as the roof and walls are sound and I have basic amenities that suits me fine . In fact I moved in straight away and I've met many other people who are living in their houses whilst renovating them .
Location , location ... sure it's important but a good location for some people is a bad one for others . If you want to get away from most other foreigners (as many people do) then buying a cheap house in a relatively unpopular village could be just the job .Sure buying a house is an investment , but for many it's an investment in lifestyle not something they hope to turn a profit on in the future . At the moment there aren't many foreign owned houses in my village but as there already are in many of the neighbouring villages and my village is pretty attractive it may well change in the next few years which would increase the value of my house , but I'd rather not live in 'little Britain' and hope that there isn't a big influx .
Tim .

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
AJ113
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby AJ113 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:15 pm

Hippyboy wrote:.....I intend to fix it up well enough to last another 100 , long after I'm gone ; if this costs me more than building something new so what , I don't care ,
Good for you, but most people don't have the same view as you. There are are very people who would choose renovation over new build if the renovation is going to cost more.
Location , location ... sure it's important but a good location for some people is a bad one for others .
Precisely. That's why it's important to focus on the right location fro you, especially if you intend to live there permanently. Location first, repairs, renovations etc second. You can change the house, you can't change the location.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Thu May 22, 2008 6:29 pm

I really enjoyed reading your posting, hippyboy - it's such a refreshing change to find someone who doesn't follow the crowd, and does the right thing for himself. Like you, I bought my house because it felt right for me. I have earth floors as well, and am more than happy with them - well, apart from one room, where the floor is getting a bit dangerous and needs replacing! But I would choose an older house over a newbuild any day - but of course, that is just my opinion, and I can understand why some people do prefer new. You sound as if you are really happy with your house and your village, and long may it stay that way! After all, isn't that what buying in Bulgaria is all about - lifestyle??

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Fri May 23, 2008 11:48 am

Hi Millomgirl , glad to hear I'm not the only one with mud floors . Actually I want to put flagstones down in the taverna and kitchen as I had to dig out the old mud floors to get enough headroom , but I'm having real difficulty finding decent old flagstones .Also it seems that the old craft building techniques have more or less died out , I thought I'd be able to find some old boy to repair and mud-render the walls but it looks like I'm going to have to have a go at it myself .Mind you not all new builds are concrete and blocks , there's a lady in the next village to me who plans to demolish and build a new house with COB!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Simonita
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Simonita » Fri May 23, 2008 1:40 pm

Hi Hippyboy,

Repairing the mud render in our cellar and summer kitchen is on my list of jobs for next week - perhaps we can compare notes about techniques.

Simonita

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Fri May 23, 2008 1:45 pm

Hi, there is a whole thread already on Mud Floors, best to continue that conversation there rather than in this thread the title of which suggests quite different content. The mud floors thread is here:

http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php? ... 38&start=0

MOD

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Simonita
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Simonita » Fri May 23, 2008 2:44 pm

Sorry Mod, will try to make more relevant:

Just reinforcing the point that "investing" can be about lifetsyle as well as £'s. Part of the lifestyle investment is the ability to learn new skills.

How's that?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
doyler79
Super User!
Super User!

Postby doyler79 » Fri May 23, 2008 2:45 pm

spot on simonita

Return to “Property Buying/Selling Advice”