Why not eBay ?

Need advice from fellow purchasers or sellers? Ask the experts here and swap experiences.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Rosa
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Rosa » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:51 am

InvestmentLinkBulgariaVT wrote:
Besides the whole idea is not to sell properties with problems, can you imagine how long it would take before someone came onto the forum and told the world of their problem. You'd be likely to loose your business over £3-5000 and that wouldn't make much sense at all!

I'm just nitpicking now, but I think it all depends a bit on what you call problems, and how soon problems manifest themselves. Every house has some kind of problems. Mis-descriptions seem to be fairly common with BG estate agents anyway, sometimes possibly through language problems. My favourite example of an outright, easily believable lie is this house in our village:

https://www.motoroads.com/PID_14959_Hou ... Varna.aspx

It is a very old house which was renovated thoroughly and beautifully a few years ago, I saw it being done, yet is is advertised as a "newly built house".

(But isn't it just gorgeous, I wish someone would finally start living in it! No, I have no connection with this house, don't even know who owns it!)

But we are meant to be discussing ebay, apologies for any sidetracking.

Rosa

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hoowster
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Hoowster » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:13 am

scot47 wrote:Many of the properties offered on e-bay are properties with no effective resale potential in Bulgaria. Remember this country has seen 1 million people leave in the last few years. Rural areas have seen very serious depopulation. If you doubt this drive around some of the areas between Shumen and Silistra. Look at Harmanli. Take a look at the areas on the border with Serbia and Vardar Macedonia.

Apart from a few crazy subjects of Her Majesty fleeing the horrors of post-modern Britain, no one wants to live in rural Bulgaria.

Sad but true, whats the comparison in the UK I wonder? A lonely broken down croft in the highlands of Scotland (no offence) Theres a reason why certain areas are more expensive in the UK and so it is here.
Average 70 sq metre apartments in Varna would buy 5 village houses at €15,000 (£7,500).
Nice villa/house in Balchik €70,000 +?
Veliko Turnovo prices quite high.
Dobrich area from low to higher depending on village..........
Yes we even start to have prices dictated by the village!

Sadly even with their rose coloured glasses off some buyers are so desperate to escape the rat race that they will invent all kinds of reasons why they WILL be the ones to succeed in buying a €3,000/£3,000 dreamhome. Statistically someone must be happy and make a lucky choice.

But some E bay houses could actually work out. (So here we go again giving hope to the desperate)....
Maybe, just maybe you could have a result if you/knew/ did these.

1, If you knew where the village house is and exactly what infrastructure (electricity, water, transport,) is linked to it.
2. If you had HAD a trip to Bulgaria in the past and then identified some SPECIFIC villages you could trawl for them ONLY. Or if you could absolutely trust someone (with no hidden agenda) to find those places for you
3. You must assume that if there a house there it might need to be completely demolished and a NEW one built. Involving the joy of finding good competent workers
4. You must be prepared in some areas for isolation as a norm, also widespread here is to be able to expect NO electricity or water for hours/days or weeks
5. Also to be completely cut off in winter for days/weeks.
6. To make no profit on a purchase, indeed in this climate maybe you would lose money.

So there you go...........
Chance estimated of success........10%......(yes of course it will be you :wink: )

Heres a thought though..... if you lose you lose your £3,000.
What about the ones who've risked 10's of thousands on an apartment block that might never be completed.

8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:47 am

But surely each person's definition of 'success' will be different?

For some it's making money (not that likely at the moment)
For others just getting a cheap property without being ripped off
For some just having a reasonable holiday home that has a greater than 50% chance of not falling down...

and so on....

Certainly, it's a gamble no matter what your objective - and you shouldn't really gamble in any form unless you have the money in your pocket/bank/under the bed and can afford to lose it all (totally) Of course, you can also affect the risk of that by being sensible and minimsing it.

But surely some people's definition of 'minimising risk' will be different?

Of course!! And so on ad infinitum....

If each individual is happy with what they get for their money, then surely that is only their business... (although it's very useful to learn from those who are discontented)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hoowster
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Hoowster » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:37 am

Good points...I've always said if you are a REAL country person who enjoys solitude then Bulgaria is your dream come true.
The trouble is that people think they are and find out later that they are not.
Hence all the questions later about where do I buy a de Humidifier/Satellite TV and where can I watch the football/Rugby.

Its totally true that

"If each individual is happy with what they get for their money, then surely that is only their business..."

But after working in a Bulgarian Real estate company and seeing the tragedies unfold, the replies I post try to help only those who WANT to minimise their risk here.

If £3,000 plus can be lost without much regret, then buy Ebay....... :wink:

8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYokLWfqbaU
Last edited by Hoowster on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
missbeans

why not ebay?

Postby missbeans » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:55 am

always print out the page with all the house description and photos on it when looking at ebay house purchase. its something rather than nothing to back up any disagreement re description, as some profiles just vanish once house is sold.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:02 pm

Hoowster wrote: if you are a REAL country person who enjoys solitude then Bulgaria is your dream come true.

From my personal experience of Bulgarian villages and towns - enough to hazard an opinion - there is not much solitude to be had in Bulgaria. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but I don't want the uninitiated to take Hoowster's comment literally.

Villages are full of lovely warm, friendly, salt-of-the-earth people who generally seem to take an interest in newcomers and appreciate the time you spend getting to know them.

If you want solitude, you have to get away from all that - maybe Bansko after the snow has gone?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:06 pm

For me the attraction of the Bulgarian village is that there is still a community that no longer exists elsewhere. Houseman is right - if you are in a BG village it is difficult to be a solitary.

The social network is one of the great strengths of the Bulgarian village and if you chose to isolate yourself you are losing out.

If you regard your house as a mere commodity for which you paid XYZ then you are missing something.

All the more reason NOT to buy on e-bay but to come and find the placce yourself.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Hoowster
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Hoowster » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:29 pm

houseman wrote:Hoowster wrote: if you are a REAL country person who enjoys solitude then Bulgaria is your dream come true.

From my personal experience of Bulgarian villages and towns - enough to hazard an opinion - there is not much solitude to be had in Bulgaria. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but I don't want the uninitiated to take Hoowster's comment literally.

Villages are full of lovely warm, friendly, salt-of-the-earth people who generally seem to take an interest in newcomers and appreciate the time you spend getting to know them.

If you want solitude, you have to get away from all that - maybe Bansko after the snow has gone?

Correct again to an extent......But what about Villages with 60+% of the villagers gone: populated now by old babas just about hanging on to life.
Bansko?....Have a look at some of the villages around Vratsa for instance. In villages around the areas of Montana, Pleven ,Vidin
Little villages around Stara Zagora maybe Etc etc

Solitude just doesnt come with open spaces (Rhodopes)...It comes with a perceivement of being alone. Of being alienated in a small place with nothing to do ,nowhere to go: Or having somewhere being an 2 hour bus ride away (if theres a bus)
How many conversations (when you have learned the language) with pensioners will keep you and your 21st century kids happy?
Maybe buyers should think about the kids with no school, no friends their own age when they buy the 65 Sq metre house on E bay to escape th UK?

Bulgaria is simplistically the same size as England turned horizontaly but with the same population as London (7 million)

"New data from Bulgaria's National Statistical Institute (NSI) showed that the demographic trend of the past years of an ever-dropping population will continue for years to come.
In the worst-case scenario, by 2060, the Bulgarian population could have dropped to as low as 5.166 million people, NSI estimates showed.
In a more positive socio-economic scenario, the population might only drop to 6.086 million, NSI said.
Over 2008, the Bulgarian population decreased by 33 700 because of a negative natural growth and a negative migration balance, to a total of 7 606 551, NSI said"

So there are huge amounts of space....Apart from the big towns most municipalities encompass rural communities.

I'm looking at a website now and heres a forest for instance €3,900. 6 more ......Permission to build a chalet?
Farm for €15,000..+/-...Quite a few going......Out of Town
Could pick one of the 98 properties under £3,000..........All "around" Vidin & Pleven. I wonder ( :wink: ) why they are so cheap here?

8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:58 pm

Great post Hoowster! Informative and factual, just how I like them.

I have never thought about buying a forest in the NW; mmm.. tree house maybe? But even there you'd have 2 legged visitors, not to mention the 8 and 80 legged kind!

No, I think I'll settle for the babas. They don't bite or crawl over you at night!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:05 pm

No. They don't usually have enough teeth left and the walking stick gets in the way.....

Return to “Property Buying/Selling Advice”