Looking for the right area to buy

Need advice from fellow purchasers or sellers? Ask the experts here and swap experiences.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
kempa
Super User!
Super User!

Postby kempa » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:46 am

Please move to the Topolovgrad/Elhovo region - not only does it have all your requirements and a large ex-pat population but we would LOVE to have a Thai restaurant nearby. Good luck.
Cheers
Kempa

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
rgawith
Super User!
Super User!

Thai...

Postby rgawith » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:09 am

I think the Bulgarians might be alright with a Thai. Agree with leedarkwood though that they are not the most adventurous when it comes to food. Metro tried stocking all Pataks sauces and then stopped as did not sell enough (although were also expensive). But our local Chinese does well and is run by Bulgarian friends (wih Chinese chef). Always lots of people there.

Think you will have everyone wanting you to move to their area if you are thinking of opening a Thai!

Actually there is a lovely little restaurant possibly for rent in my village....now theres a though - :P

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Sunshade

I had a feeling

Postby Sunshade » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:59 am

Hi Folks
I had a feeling this would be the response to the part about the Thai food, We would have the same thoughts, If we were living in a place were there was no chance of having Asian food.

I think we can agree about it needing to be in area were there are foreigners or Bg city dwellers as they can be more cosmopolitan.

As for the comment on why we want to leave Thailand, It is not that we need to leave it is the case that in a place like this there is not much of a support network for health etc and it is not the best country in the world for welcoming foreigners and has for running a business here forget it !!
We are under no illusion's of Bg being a bed of roses, but I don't think we would like to go back to the UK in a hurry. Also the need to earn a crust in Bg, for us it would not be to much off a worry.

Di :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Omega

Postby Omega » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:58 am

From all the three areas you have selected, Yambol area is the cheapest but there you coiuld expect the least appreciation in price. The area is not so developed. The town of Yambol is not the best town in Bulgaria. To be honest, there are pretty a lot of gypsies there.
But its benefit is that it is relatively close to the sea. For one hour drive you could reach Bourgas and the sea.
Veliko Turnovo, on the other hand, is a beautiful town, developed, with a lot of tourists, mountains, one of the best universities in the whole country, with a lot of English-speaking people and professionals. I myself have graduated there. The region is truly amazing, and I believe you will fall in love with it.
Rousse is one of the biggest and most developed towns in Bulgaria. Because of its location on the Danube river, as you could expect, tourism is pretty developed there, and the town itself is very very nice. It is not so far from the sea too.
So, it mostly depends on what you are looking - river, sea, or mountain. My advice is to go in all areas and just see what it is like. You will know it when you are there. Good luck!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Cameo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Cameo » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:33 am

I agree with the latter poster that there are a lot of gypsies in the Yambol area, in fact there are quite a few in our village. But have to say that we have never had one bit of a problem with them, in fact quite the opposite they are very friendly. And its not just because they want work from you, cos we only employ one firm to do all our work on the house, and all the gypsies know this so we never get bothered with them asking us for work. But none the less, they are very friendly towards us, chatty and always willing to lend a hand if you need it, allbeit for free.

Just thought I would put this on, as there is often a lot of bad press about BG gypsies but it just does not seem like this in our village, thankfully. The Bulgarians and gypsies just seem to live side by side in a very tollerant manner of each other.

On a different note, we chose to live in the Yambol area, south east BG, because we did not want the harsh winters that they seem to have up near the north V T areas. Dont like the snow, and dont want to be snowed in over the winter time. So near the Turkish border is great for us. Eveyone to their own eh.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Dusty
Super User!
Super User!

Looking to buy

Postby Dusty » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:05 pm

I would just like to add to the last post about winters in the VT area. Yes, we do have snow because of the beautiful Stara Planina mountains. But various villages in the area have more or less snow depending on position. Its quite surprising how different conditions can be within a few kms. Our village has never been totally snowed in and only lost our village bus for a few days last year. The real (dry) cold and snow only usually occurs in January and February. Its often fairly mild until December but of course, every year has its differences as Dannia found out.
A speciality restaurant in a nice village near a big town should ensure a broad spectrum of customers once you are established and get a reputation but I would not expect much support from village locals. Best to have some sausages and soups on the menu for them it will be about all they can afford. However, in some villages there are some very affluent Bulgarians with second holiday homes who might be tempted to be a bit more adventurous plus some very happy Brits. :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:05 pm

Omega wrote:From all the three areas you have selected, Yambol area is the cheapest but there you coiuld expect the least appreciation in price. The area is not so developed. The town of Yambol is not the best town in Bulgaria. To be honest, there are pretty a lot of gypsies there.
But its benefit is that it is relatively close to the sea. For one hour drive you could reach Bourgas and the sea.

I have tried to find figures for the gypsy population, and unfortunately the last census was in 2001 so not very enlightening.
As Cameo has already said about the gypsies she knows, we have the same situation in our area of Yambol, our own village has hardly any Roma, but the next one on, Krumovo, it is mostly Roma, but we feel more at home there than we do in our own village at times.

There are lots of discussions about ethnic minorities on the forum if you have your concerns, but checking out the census, you can easily see where the gypsies tend to be well in 2001 anyway and I think I am right in saying that most of the gypsy population in any area are actually living in or very near to the cities themselves as apposed to the villages.

Province - Roma - Total population
Blagoevgrad Province 12,405 341,173
Burgas Province 19,439 423,547
Dobrich Province 18,649 215,217
Gabrovo Province 1,611 144,125
Haskovo Province 17,089 277,478
Kardzhali Province 1,264 164,019
Kyustendil Province 8,294 162,534
Lovech Province 6,316 169,951
Montana Province 22,784 182,258
Pazardzhik Province 23,970 310,723
Pernik Province 3,035 149,832
Pleven Province 9,777 311,985
Plovdiv Province 30,196 715,816
Razgrad Province 8,733 152,417
Ruse Province 9,703 266,157
Shumen Province 16,457 204,378
Silistra Province 6,478 142,000
Sliven Province 26,777 218,474
Smolyan Province 686 140,066
Sofia 17,885 1,170,842
Sofia Province 16,748 273,240
Stara Zagora Province 16,748 370,615
Targovishte Province 9,868 137,689
Varna Province 15,462 500,175
Veliko Tarnovo Province 6,064 293,172
Vidin Province 9,786 130,074
Vratsa Province 14,899 243,036
Yambol Province 9,729 156,070
Total 370,908 7,928,901

*figures from wikipedia
I have tried to split the figures and it won't let me sorry

Nikki

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Brandi

Postby Brandi » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:39 pm

DANNIA wrote: I think I am right in saying that most of the gypsy population in any area are actually living in or very near to the cities themselves as apposed to the villages.

Quite a valid observation but only to the extent (although this is NOT a politically correct statement for obvious reasons) that towns tend to be more affluent and the Roma are, still and sadly so, a scavenging culture, with some elements within the community more prone to criminality than average due exclusion and fairly limited opportunities for education (which the community tends to despise at worst and consider unnecessary at best) and, therefore, for employment and integration consequent on that.

I have had the heartbreaking experience of having this confirmed by one of their midst who, when asked why they (whole clan implied here) had migrated from Yambol to Stara Zagora (where they were living in a barren field and in a makeshift tent for lack of a better description sitting in the middle of said field), truthfully answered that he rubbish bins in Stara Zagora offered richer pickings!!!!!

Also, I don't think the Roma should be an overriding concern in making up one's mind where to buy. Having just double checked with the stated list of priorities, I'd think the best choices in Bulgaria, failing Sofia and anything lying within a 50-60 miles radius, would be (1) Blagoevgrad and (2) Plovdiv, plus (possibly) VT.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Sunshade

OOOPS!!!!

Postby Sunshade » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:11 pm

It seems have lost my massage, Just sent the smiles.
Will try to rewrite tomorrow.
Di

Return to “Property Buying/Selling Advice”