Looking for the right area to buy

Need advice from fellow purchasers or sellers? Ask the experts here and swap experiences.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
abracadabra

Postby abracadabra » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:19 pm

Hi Di

As others have said, best to come and try these areas out for yourself as only you will know which one is "The One" There are loads of rentals you will find, and if you have the chance, test the areas.

However, most of the points you listed as requirements match up to where we have bought - we are in Yambol district - but we are not close to Yambol town, it's about 40 minutes away. Our village is 1 KLM from the nearest town, 15 minutes away from Elhovo town and as such is about an hour and fifteen minutes from the Greece/Turkey border. there is also a nearer crossing to Turkey at Lesovo.

It's a pretty, hilly area (but not mountainous) gorgeous scenery, internet and mobile connections, about an hour from Bourgas and the coast and as in the rest of Bg there are lots of dam lakes and reservoirs here. our house is right next to a large dam lake, so we get a huge variety of wildlife round our way as they all come over to visit the "pub"

I am told we don't get hard winters in this region, but I can't comment on that as our first winter here we spent near Bourgas (where the winter was OK) and our house is an hour further inland.

best of luck, enjoy the adventure.

Karen

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
lizrb1953

Postby lizrb1953 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:33 pm

Try Plovdiv or pazardjik areas.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
noddy
Super User!
Super User!

Looking for the right area to buy

Postby noddy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:55 pm

take your time rent a place for a month or a week in each place speak to many people and see what you want

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
macwal

where to Buy

Postby macwal » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:26 pm

Whilst it is good to use others recomendations, I don't think that there is any substitute for personal experience, I would suggest that you make a list of what type of things you want the area/ village to have, once you are clear what you want then visit as many areas as you can at different times of year if that is possible as places change with the seasons. then you have a real chance of finding the right place good luck Bulgaria is a beautiful place.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:22 pm

B52 wrote:scasparz...

Micro-climate, as pointed by Lee, as it may affect drastically the quality of life for the residents.

Mild in winter, warm in summer. Based on one winter and two summers. ;)

We have had three winters here now, the first was more like winter in the UK with sunshine, we had prepared ourselves for snow and cold for weeks on end, but none of this happened, it was wonderful, the 2nd we had been lured into a false sense of security by the first and we had an 11 day spell of snow and ice with fog, by far the worst winter but even so 2 weeks I can live with, the 3rd one was lovely snow which last about 2 weeks, the sun was out and it was great, and then about a week after the snow went, it came back again, and we weren't prepared for the 2nd lot!!
So caught out again!

The 3 summers have been simlar to one another, but this year has not been as hot as last year although maybe that is more to do with us aclimatising to it.

I was discussing with Darren the other evening and we agreed that the worst times weather wise here are July as it can get unbearably hot so air con could be a neccessity though we have managed without it for the last 2 summers, and Jan/Feb when it's very cold, but we just hibernate as everyone else does, it doesn't last for long, certainly not the whole two months and at times it can be like spring.

The rain here is virtually non existant in comparison to the UK, however when it does rain, you know about it, but we rarely have days and days of rain, so thats a huge plus.

Nikki

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scasparz
Super User!
Super User!

many thanks everyone

Postby scasparz » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:34 pm

Many thanks mates for your input. Knowledge is power.

cheers everyone

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Sunshade

A BIG THANKYOU !!!

Postby Sunshade » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:53 am

Hi All, I can not thank you all enough for all the info you sent me, it was a bit of a shock to be honest. I will be making notes from all the info that everybody has sent, as this will prove invaluable to us.It is Great to see the great british community is alive and well even though its not the UK.The ideas of the property area will now make sense to us as we are looking, and narrowing the search area is so helpful as you know.

On the Property front as in this country you can not own the land,and it used to be the same as Bg doing it though a company, but now the law has changed and you have to do it through a long term lease. So the question i want to ask is i believe that things are going to change in 2014 so that foreigners will be able to own the land is this correct.

Just a final thing i would like to ask is regarding location, is my husband is a chef and would like to do some kind of business doing Thai and Sri lankan food ( as we could not live without it ) and because of coming from Thailand we will be able to get supplies sent over.I wonder do you think there will be any interest in this kind of cuisine in Bg ?

Well thanks once again for all your input this is one of the best Forums i have come across, so give yourselves a pat on the back

Cheers Di :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
rgawith
Super User!
Super User!

yes yes yes

Postby rgawith » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:39 am

Please please please come to Kazanlak/Stara Zagora area and open Thai restaurant!!!! Currently limited to local Chinese.

Seriously though, if you require long term rental let me know. I have a few places to rent (furnished and unfurnished), dogs not a problem. One plot completely securely fenced as I had several dogs when I lived there.

Location obviously completely personal, what one person likes another might not. But coming over to rent longer term and taking your time to look around definitely the best option.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Loobs

Postby Loobs » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:43 am

Echo that. I've been reading this with interest. I will hopefully have our flights booked later for October.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:30 am

I am just wondering... you must have your reasons for leaving Thailand, and living in Bulgaria is not a bed of roses, you might want to consider (if you have had problems in the East) asking if the same problems will crop up here? Especially if you want to run a business here, which can be a real headache. You are going to have to put yourselves somewhere where there is a lot of people and particularly a lot of foreigners if you want to open a place selling food the Bulgarians are not used to, they are NOT the most adventurous of people when it comes to new tastes. That really would rule out the remote village areas, you need to be very close to a big town. I would suggest you look at Plovdiv. Not as crazy or expensive as Sofia with affordable places nearby to live. Or Blagoevgrad, a little gem that gets overlooked, with a big international student population.

Return to “Property Buying/Selling Advice”