PLEASE beware! cheap-bulgarian-properties.com on Ebay

Need advice from fellow purchasers or sellers? Ask the experts here and swap experiences.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
rgawith
Super User!
Super User!

PLEASE beware! cheap-bulgarian-properties.com on Ebay

Postby rgawith » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:36 am

This discussion continues from:
http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php? ... ic&t=27115

cheap-bulgarian-properties.com on Ebay # 2

Having been involved in Bulgarian property for close to 5 years and having been contacted by several people who bought on eBay and who then faced various issues with their purchase, please be very careful before bidding on any property on eBay.

A quick search on eBay for property for sale gives you hundreds, if not thousands of Bulgarian properties for sale. At the time of writing of this report (15th November 2009), there is over 58,000 residential overseas listings and at least 2000 of those are situated in Bulgaria. The majority of these are classified listings, where you can simply contact the seller to express an interest in the property, but there are a number of auction listings starting for as a little as a couple of hundred pounds for a house with land.

And while many of these listings appear to be an absolute bargain, the old adage of 'if its too good to be true, it probably is' should come to mind. Please read the descriptions very carefully, often there are massive discrepancies in the facts, often the properties are situated in very poor areas, with little infrastructure, more often that not they will be complete wrecks. Check out the feedback of the seller, contact former winning bidders who purchased property, search on forums relating to Bulgarian and property in Bulgaria (such as this one) for topics on buying off eBay, sellers to avoid, what to watch out for etc.

There is one eBay seller well known by the British community with in the area he sells property in (Chirpan/Stara Zagora) who pops up from time to time on eBay and his advert reads like a complete work of fiction, which for most part it is. He claims to be a British owned Family run business with 14 Ltd Companies, having branches all over the world and several offices, claims to have won awards that simply do not exist, put large, well established firms out of business in the area, have over 4000 happy clients been given the thumbs up by eBay and the London fraud squad.

I know of several former clients of this guy and they are less than happy. His properties are all over priced, with him buying them directly from the locals at very low prices and then selling them on for many times more to unwitting British buyers. He often entices buyers over with promises of work if they relocate (renovation work, office work etc). In fact I know of two families that both purchased through him, were promised jobs (men in building jobs, women in the office), they happened to meet in a service station in Hungary on the drive over, got chatting, discovered they had both been duped by the same guy (although he used different names) and of course arrived to discover jobs were non existent or short lived.

I have personally been contacted by an eBay bidder who put down a deposit on a house from this guy, went to see it, against advice decided to go ahead with the purchase, sent 10,000 pounds to the guy's wife's bank account in the UK and then could get no answer from the eBay seller for months. Lawyers became involved and my involvement ceased but I think he did eventually get the title deeds to his house.

So please, please, please be very careful when buying a property off eBay. Do not bid on a property in a country you have never visited. Do not pay out any money before viewing the property unless you are happy to accept you may be buying a complete wreck in a less than desirable area.

And most importantly please do your research first on both the eBay seller, the country you are looking to buy in and the general property market there.[/b]

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:17 am

To be honest, if you are naive enough relocate to another country on the vague promise of a job you're going to be hit by every scam merchant going. There's a certain degree of Darwanism that winnows out the foolish and stupid.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
milla888

REA

Postby milla888 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:45 pm

From my 3 year experience in Bulgaria, its the British sellers based in Bulgaria you have to watch out for who prey on other Brits with false promises and dumps of properties, tarted up with a bit of plasterboard and 2mm thick concrete floors. These are the real con men as they know better. Just incase you are missed by the property sharks and actually get what you have paid for, you will more than likely get stiffed by one of the many British builders who aren't really qualified enough to build a flat pack wardrobe.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:48 pm

That's putting it politely, Mat!

Forums are full of "I'm off to X because life is so much better there and I can buy a house for almost nothing and live like a King". Naive is too mild a word to describe these people and, as you suggest, maybe getting scammed is a good way for them to wake up. Of course it's never THEIR fault when they get stiffed as they gullibly embark on their "adventure" in a country they may have scarcely visited, whose culture they don't understand and where they can't even read the road signs, let alone speak the local language. Luckily there are many good Brit "builders" and "Good Samaritans" to help relieve them of the weight of their naiveté (and cash :wink: )

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mihangel
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mihangel » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:31 pm

It is interesting that although the company address given on the website is the same as it has always been, the actual building is now a large cafe with an outdoor seating area in what was previously the car park.

I am always pleased to see estate agents turn into pubs :D but I will take a closer look when I am next in town.

The cafe has now evaporated for the winter and the place now looks a little derelict. How quickly things change in Bulgaria!
Last edited by mihangel on Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Rocker

Postby Rocker » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:39 pm

We have a house for sale and its been on e-bay. all the photos of outside and in are the real thing. Not all Brits living here (we have been here 4 years) are out to rip other Brits off. What they see on e-bay is also listed with most of the good Estate Agents here in VT. So please don't class everyone the same. We have never "preyed" on anyone I found it to be the other way round. all e-bay inquires wanted they house for next to nothing

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Villyman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Villyman » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:52 pm

I know there are numerous threads on Ebay and house purchases and I have even posted (replied to a few) myself.

I bid on my house on Ebay 2006 and paid by UK standards "pennies".

I have refurbished for a fraction of UK prices and have a good life here. YES, there have been ups and downs but I still deal with my original seller for annual returns and he is always there to help with BG problems (local car tax) etc., which we didn't know about.

Another of his clients and one of our friends drove overland last week and broke down in Romania. He drove from Dobrich in the middle of the night, towed them over the border, got their car fixed at a friends BG garage and sent them on their way.

Although no money exchanged hands, no doubt he will "top up" their annual bill eventually. But he is there when needed which is more than some are.

I don't think he sells on Ebay any more, I haven't checked, but will ask him next time I see him.

Houses are easy, backup is essential!!!

He is Bulgarian by the way!!.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
smileruk

Looking for a new life

Postby smileruk » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:03 pm

Hello rgawith,

So have you met this bloke or dealt with his company directly. It is hard to find people to trust when you are thinking of moving to another country. I have been watching his auctions for the last few weeks and was thinking about contacting him but if you know something i dont i would prefer to know now and not when its too late.

Many thanks

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
princesschisholm

"The boss"

Postby princesschisholm » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:04 pm

I was about to buy from this Steve guy, but first asked what was going on here, as his houses look great, here's his reply:

"Racheal, a very bad female who i put out of business and got involved with 2 brits who i offered jobs to but then ound out at one had been in prison for Burglary/ABH and the other ripped me off for £8,000 hence NO job.
As for puttig large company out of business, check out to see if Bulgarian Properties now hve a branch in Star Zagora, they used to have but I PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS along with Racheal, who if you check her out has a big big problem, jeaulousy, i have a law suit against her i fact and thank you for his willsend to my solicitor. Can prove everything by the way here are some email address that you can end emails to clients of mine and see what they have to say. As the Lord is my witness i dont lie but unfotunatly the good people are always trying to be knocked own by less fortunate people, especially those that i put out of business, wnat chat then call me."

Heres another email:

I can PROVE everything i say and the Lord is my Witness when i say this. I have helped put many crooks out of business by doing what i do and with total honesty. Hence many a jealous people (who have mainly come from the north, rough areas) who just cannot deal with it and as always just loves trying to ruin others in their failings. Racheal i do not need to slag off i let my Legal Team deal with that as you will see very soon, very un proffesional but then that is why i am successful and she is not. Have a read on other forums and you will see she carries a very big chip on her shoulders and slags off everybody, yet she charged some of my clients (she tried to pinch them) 500 euros to do the yearly accounts when i chage £65 ! My clients soon became wise to her and eventually she got found out and she then decided to pack up and move totally to France. But could not sell up as the advert on ebay only went to £31,000 and did not meet the reseve. Now she advertises herself as wanting to help others with advice for a donnation i believe !

Well enough about all this, being dealt with via my solicitors and thank you for the info.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
smileruk

Re: The Boss

Postby smileruk » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:28 pm

So would you still consider buying from him?

Best regards

Return to “Property Buying/Selling Advice”