ADVICES needed for South West properties

Need advice from fellow purchasers or sellers? Ask the experts here and swap experiences.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MIK
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

ADVICES needed for South West properties

Postby MIK » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi guys

I'm looking for a cheap rural house in the outskirts of a mountain village (or outside village plans) in the South West not far away from the border to Greece (let's say within 50 km)

Is there any website with good regional/map search tools or specialized in that area?

I've seen some but most don't show any property outside expansive ski/touristic areas

any hint?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:53 pm

Coming from the South West I may give you my five penneth worth.

One question: What do you want it for, investment, renovation, to live, holidays, skiing, trips to Greece ?

50km from the border takes you just up to around Bansko and there is lots of villages/properties in that area. Closer to Bansko the village properties are about €25k, go south to the border and they drop dramatically to under €5k depending on what you want.

There are however lots of little villages that are higly advertised like Obidim, which are cheap, close to Bansko and the Greek border but in winter they are so high up that you would need a skidoo.

Let us know a bit more about why basically and we can advise further.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:18 pm

Gotse Delchev. Pretty, big enough to be almost civilised & close to the border so you can pillage fleeing Greeks when their country descends into anarchy in the spring.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:27 pm

Mat wrote: you can pillage fleeing Greeks when their country descends into anarchy in the spring.

Moscow Wolf is on the look out for a good business opportunity like this :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:43 pm

i would suggest you do what we did. Find the area you like, we are 22 kilometers from Gotse Delchev and about the same distance to the border. Then focus on about three villages, rent in one of them, until you figure out what property is either empty or the owners want to move to the city and make an offer.

But it all depends on what you want to spend your days and especially your winters doing. Village life can be maddening if you don't have an interest that you can spend your time doing.

I haven't find many properties worth having at the cheap prices that are being mentioned here, you would have to have excellent contacts to find anything livable at those prices. This area is far more expensive than the center or north of Bulgaria.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MIK
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby MIK » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:09 pm

first thanks to everybody, this will speed my learning on the region. I will look into the location suggested. Also can you suggest places you find amazing about nature?
I've spent months in Greece in search for a house in Zagori region because of it's incredible nature. I then stopped because of the prices and the under developed market making looking for a good opportunity an incredible waste of time.

brianj42 wrote:Coming from the South West I may give you my five penneth worth.

One question: What do you want it for, investment, renovation, to live, holidays, skiing, trips to Greece ?

I want a house with a piece of land to live in. I'm planning to have a permaculture plot with also few animals, pods etc. The perfect spot is near to a fresh water source.

Looking for something into an intact (as possible) environment, so I'm looking to mountain, half mountain (600 to 1000 meters above the sea level) not already exploited for agriculture. Away from urban centers and other houses.

brianj42 wrote:
50km from the border takes you just up to around Bansko and there is lots of villages/properties in that area. Closer to Bansko the village properties are about €25k, go south to the border and they drop dramatically to under €5k depending on what you want.

There are however lots of little villages that are higly advertised like Obidim, which are cheap, close to Bansko and the Greek border but in winter they are so high up that you would need a skidoo.

Let us know a bit more about why basically and we can advise further.

I do not see the problem to be cut out because of the snow.
I'm not planning to do weekly shopping

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MIK
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby MIK » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:12 pm

qwerty wrote:
Mat wrote: you can pillage fleeing Greeks when their country descends into anarchy in the spring.

Moscow Wolf is on the look out for a good business opportunity like this :lol:

uhmm this is why I want a property off road... I will spend even time to make it invisible as possible.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MIK
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby MIK » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:26 pm

leedarkwood wrote:i would suggest you do what we did. Find the area you like, we are 22 kilometers from Gotse Delchev and about the same distance to the border. Then focus on about three villages, rent in one of them, until you figure out what property is either empty or the owners want to move to the city and make an offer.

But it all depends on what you want to spend your days and especially your winters doing. Village life can be maddening if you don't have an interest that you can spend your time doing.

I haven't find many properties worth having at the cheap prices that are being mentioned here, you would have to have excellent contacts to find anything livable at those prices. This area is far more expensive than the center or north of Bulgaria.

That's what I did in Greece but the downside is that people takes 12 months to show up, or they think they can play with the prices for even longer.

I wasted an amount of money that would had be enough to buy a property in Bulgaria.

I've just learnt that that area is a spot for reach Bulgarian from Sofia but obviously we are not looking for the same thing. So I don't look for ski, resorts, spa, shopping and restaurants.

But I see what you mean. I also noticed that differently from other areas of the country real estate concentrate mostly in expensive villas and ski locations and probably ignore cheap rural. I don't think that there is not such kind of properties only that who is in the business focus on high market or second choices but not rural cause there is less request

Of course internet would be really useful helping me to manage some work. I'm an expert so I will find a way to have a connection...even where the locals do have not ;)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Take the following drive:

1: Blagoevgrad down to Sandanski

1: Sandanski across to Gotche Delchev

2: Gotche Delchev across to Pamporovo

3: Pamporovo across to Bansko

These has some of the most stunning scenery in the whole of BG, mountains, forests, small villages dotted all around and still cheap.

We did the drive over a week and stopped at EVERY single village en-route and rated each one, eventually buying and building in one which turned out to be a lovely village on the Rila mountain.

I will say, there was a lot of villages that I was happier to see in my rear view mirror :lol:

Problem is that I can recommend you 10 villages which suited us, but not necessarily you, one mans meat and all that.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MIK
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby MIK » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:57 pm

brianj42 wrote:Take the following drive:

1: Blagoevgrad down to Sandanski

1: Sandanski across to Gotche Delchev

2: Gotche Delchev across to Pamporovo

3: Pamporovo across to Bansko

These has some of the most stunning scenery in the whole of BG, mountains, forests, small villages dotted all around and still cheap.

We did the drive over a week and stopped at EVERY single village en-route and rated each one, eventually buying and building in one which turned out to be a lovely village on the Rila mountain.

I will say, there was a lot of villages that I was happier to see in my rear view mirror :lol:

planning to make a trip very soon thanks

it will be easier since I will skip all the big/medium centers

Brian did you spotted houses outside villages during your trips? Is it vary rare or there is some chance?

Write down your list... I will look them in Google earth.
Last edited by MIK on Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Property Buying/Selling Advice”