newbie legal buying advice

Need advice from fellow purchasers or sellers? Ask the experts here and swap experiences.

Moderator: Moderator

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:15 am

Ideally, you'll need more than the Notary Act checked - there will be receipts to show all taxes and utility bills are up to date, that there are no outstanding encumbrances and that the skitsa is correct and up to date. Does the seller own the house in his own name or is there a company involved - in the latter case you need to be sure that there will be no come-back from any irregularities with company returns etc. I assume you ARE an EU national, by the way?

budyboy
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby budyboy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:39 am

yes i am in uk, seller is english and agent said he would get me copy of deeds. ok bulgaria are english owned company and agent said all contracts would be in english and they would do all legal. i told him i preferred if i got independant lawyer to look it all over and he said no problems. so thats why im asking for name of good lawyer in area. know anyone?

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:21 am

"OK Bulgaria" is the name of the agency? The Notary Act has to be in Bulgarian, usually with an English translation for Brits, but the Bulgarian one is what counts - if there's a difference then what's in the BG version takes precedence.

Are you going to sign in person or have you given POA to someone?

I don't live in that area, so can't really help regarding a local lawyer, I'm afraid; ideally your lawyer will also attend the signing of the Notary Act to ensure there are no last-minute "glitches".

It's better if you are there in person - that way you can check that the house is in the condition it was when you last saw it... ;)
Last edited by Seedy on Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

budyboy
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby budyboy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:23 am

thx seedy for all the advice..they said i could sign in bulgarian embassy in dublin (im in northern ireland) or give poa. i would rather go sign in person

really im just looking a name of lawyer someone thinks is good and reasonable to pay..someone nearby byala if possible.

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:02 pm

Well, if you're signing at the embassy then you don't actually need a lawyer local to the property at all.....check your PMs ;)

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:29 pm

It is better to get a lawyer first and THEN do the deal !

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:04 am

Unless a contract of some sort has been signed then there's no deal yet... ;)

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:54 am

A verbal agreement is not worth the paper it is not written on ?

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:58 am

scot47 wrote:A verbal agreement is not worth the paper it is not written on ?

C'mon, Scottie - you know very well that you mean "oral agreement"....don't let the language skills slide! ;)

SatyamHair

Postby SatyamHair » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:00 am

Yes to make a contract is also a good thing so that whenever needed we can show that contract...

Return to “Property Buying/Selling Advice”