Bansko or Pamporovo ?

Need advice from fellow purchasers or sellers? Ask the experts here and swap experiences.

Moderator: Moderator

dmshaw
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Bansko or Pamporovo ?

Postby dmshaw » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:11 pm

Has anyone visited Bansko or Pamporovo. I realise all the investment seems to be in Bansko but I have an inclination for buying property in Pamporovo. I prefer to buck the trend !. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm looking to buy property both as an investment and as a holiday home for the longer term.

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:35 am

I was in the new uber metrolpolis of Bansko this weekend and after a year barely recognised the place. The level of construction is truly frightening, but they have resurfaced the road leading to the lift and are busy adding to the number 2 ski road. I don't think they are cutting any new runs yet.
This year will be the last good year for a while - if all these apartments fill up next year they will need both more runs and a new gondola. The road to the town (from Simitli) is being renovated and there is a new waste water plant for Razlog.

Its both terribly exciting and terribly worrying at the same time - the old Bansko (the one they always quote as being quaint and 'time forgotten') is dead and gone, replaced by gaudy shops and the tat of Borovets. But the future, ahh the future could be wonderful.....

I'd wait and see what and where the additional infrastructure investments go and follow them. Bansko is full to bursting.

next week I go to Pamporovo.

BTW, the rate at even my 'comfortable and functional' accommodation is 10 euro per person per night for the season.

balkankiwi
Super User!
Super User!

Postby balkankiwi » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:42 am

Hi Mat,

... if all these apartments fill up next year they will need both more runs and a new gondola. ...

I wonder if that's right - what I'd heard is that the current beds in Bansko (built and under construction) equate to roughly half the existing gondola's capacity.

BK

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:52 am

Did you see the queues at the gondola last year? An hour wait on a busy morning. I would agree that the gondola is probably capable of carrying the people (eventually) but the mountain can't take much more - on busy weekends it is absolutely packed, to the point of being dangerous. A new gondola would open up another valley.

ianfromireland

Postby ianfromireland » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:52 am

If you like Sunny Beach (not for me) then you'll like Bansko. Bansko is the sunny beach of the ski resorts. Miles too much construction on and there will be an over supply of apartments the same as there is in Sunny Beach now.

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:23 am

I reckon Borovets in the Sunny Beach of skiing - Bansko is well on the way though.... I haven't seen an advertisement for 'English breakfast' yet in Bansko although I suspect that that horror called the English pub will be churning it out to the herd soon enough.

kiss
Super User!
Super User!

Postby kiss » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:52 am

I think its a little harsh calling Bansko the Sunny Beach of the ski resorts. Yes it is seeing an incredible amount of construction and there will undoubtedly be an oversupply of beds for a couple of years until the resort fully establishes itself, but the quality and design of the new apartment buildings is head and shoulders above those on the coast - especially sunny Beach.

Interesting to read Mats comments regarding the need for a new gondola, I had heard the same frome someone at the end of the last ski season. As I understood it the go-ahead has already been given for the seond gondola and new ski runs are set to be created. I cant remember where i heard this but I would apreciate it if somene in the know could confirm or deny this rumour.

Sorry i cant comment on Pamporovo, never been there.

dmshaw
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby dmshaw » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:33 pm

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Does anyone know just how much potential Bansko has for the future in terms of capacity on the mountain. Assuming it receives unlimited investment just how much space for further ski runs is available on the mountain. Does it have the potential to rival resorts in the Alps ?.

e.g Les Arcs has the following facilities:

No of lifts: 58

No of slopes: 118

Total piste length: 200km

Longest run: 7km

Snowparks: 1

Snow runs: 44

Cross country: 15km

TalkBansko
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby TalkBansko » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:13 pm

We fell for Bansko because it was nothing like Sunny Beach - at least not 18 months ago.

Most of the new developments centre around the gondola and are away from the two town squares which essentially retain their traditional feel.

There is currently one 'English Pub' but many many traditional Mehanas. As the Brits only make up a fraction of the resorts visitors I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that it will be turned into another Blackpool abroad (Sunny Beach) - even though there is huge investment by Brits.

Bansko is a better bet than Borovets or Pamporovo for me because it is not just a ski resort. The ski resort is being added to an existing town.

Return to “Property Buying/Selling Advice”