Apostille Legalisation

Need advice from fellow purchasers or sellers? Ask the experts here and swap experiences.

Moderator: Moderator

Chris1
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Chris1 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:21 am

:( Uh Oh!. Now reading today all the contributions I am now full of doubt to what I am and have done is right.

The POA and Declaration of the Specimen of the signature are in Bulgarian and translated by the agent to English. (The Bulgarian text will prevail if there are any discrepancies).

The Public Notary from my local town notarised the above mentioned documents and have now been sent to FCO for the apostille seal.

Have I done this right and will it be accepted in Bulgaria for the POA to set up the limited company and buy the property.

Or there more for me to do?

CP
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby CP » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:48 am

Chris, are the documents split half Bulgarian, half English? If this is the case or if they are only in English, the way you signed them will be acceptable in Bulgaria. If they are spilt, the English will prevail, as this is the language you understand.

If the documents are in Bulgarian only, you'll need them certified by a translator, not just translated by your agent, this the theory. However, if the English notary has attested such a Bulgarian document, I guess the responsibility is transferred to the notary, so you'll probably have no problems either.

glynn
<b>Removal Services</b>

Postby glynn » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:07 am

in a nutshell, if the documents are half english half bulgarian, they are taken to a notary, who in turn will forward them to the F-Office to have an apostile attached. This worked for me.

Chris1
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Chris1 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:08 pm

Docs are written in Bulgarian. The English translation is on a separate doc.

Chris1
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Chris1 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:30 pm

This is my agents reply to my question 'Will my documents POA and specimen of signature doc notarised in the Uk by a Public Notary and apostilled at the FCO be acceptable in Bulgaria?'

"Regarding the confirmation on the documents, since this is a really new procedure and also the Bulgarian court is impartial, such confirmation could not be issued on our behalf.
We have inquired about this matter with other solictors as well, and the common answer is yes, this should be accepted. However, before we recieve the documents and present them in front of the solicitor here and the court we could not be certain.

Still I believe that everything will run smoothly.

Now, we will be looking forward to your documents comming here.

And fingers crossed! "

CP
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby CP » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:53 am

Chris, I don't want to comment at length your agent's reply, but I think "fingers crossed" statement by an agent is totally unacceptable.

As far as I understand, what you signed is the Bulgarian variant and the English one is for reference only? Do I understand it right? And the Bulgarian variant is signed and stamped by the notary and will have the apostille? If this is the case and the English variant is not somewhat connected to the Bulgarian variant, the only problem you may have is answer the question "did you understand what you are signing". But of course, you may know Bulgarian and also as I mentioned in my previous post, this question has to be asked primarily by the notary you went to. As you have his signature/stamp on the documents, I guess they will do the job. The thing is that when the documents arrive in Bulgaria, your agent will have to take care of their legalization in the Bulgarian foreign ministry in Sofia (many translation firms in Bulgaria with offices throughout the country are dealing with this, so wherever your agent is based, this is not difficult to do)

Return to “Property Buying/Selling Advice”