Why do people say Bansko is better than Pamporovo -it isn't

Need advice from fellow purchasers or sellers? Ask the experts here and swap experiences.

Moderator: Moderator

LynSmith

Why do people say Bansko is better than Pamporovo -it isn't

Postby LynSmith » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:30 pm

Hi,

I went to Bulgaria in December to have a look at the ski resorts and make a decision whether to buy in Bansko or in Pamporovo. Bansko was said to be the better one, but my impression was totally different. Bansko is just a village, lots of developments, crowds, skiing is OK, while Pamporovo is such a beautiful place, it's great and scenic, a real mountainous resort. In Bansko there is only one lift, while in Pamporovo there are 3 new lifts. In Pamporovo there are far less hotels and obvioulsly it will be easier to rent the property. In my eyes Pamporovo is much better, but I did not dare buy anything, because of the widely spread opinion that Bansko is better.
Some people said snow in Pamporovo is not enough but I saw that the snow in Pamporovo was much more that in Bansko. The developments in Bansko are not surrounded by nature, but by other buildings, the village lays at the bottom of the mountain and because the snow melts quickly it is so muddy. I love Pamporovo and want to buy there but as I read more and more about Bansko being better, I feel I will make a mistake.
I

Mantis
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Mantis » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:42 pm

Bansko always gets more snow ? Not sure how you saw more snow in Pamporovo. I am buying in Pamporovo as I prefer the location, however for quantity of snow and lenght of season Bansko is probably better. (not that there is a lack of snow in Pamporovo).

Personal preference, if you like Pamporovo best I'd buy there. Chepalare is also local to Pamporovo and the skiing there is fantastic.

BlackleyDynamo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby BlackleyDynamo » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:56 pm

There are plenty of people on here who prefer Pamporovo, a quick search of the forums will show that. Personally I felt Bansko had more character and life about it. However I know Pamporovo is developing quickly (so far I believe tourist numbers are up 20% on 2004-5) and haven't been there recently. News to me that there are 3 lifts there, I must admit.

As far as I know, the "apres-ski" and general facilities in Bansko are better and there is a pile of money being invested, with talk of a new gondola, ring road and even an airport 8O . When the E84 upgrades are finished it will be easier to get to as well. Again, this has all been referred to at length on other threads.

However, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about what other people think, it's pretty obvious what your gut feeling is. If I were you I'd go with it. Best of luck

LynSmith

to Mantis

Postby LynSmith » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:09 pm

Really at the moment I was there the snow in pamporovo was more than in Bansko. The snow is not the biggest problem anyway. I liked mostly Pamporvo Palace apartmenst,if it is not a secret what are yuo going to buy?

stevetheyorky
Super User!
Super User!

Postby stevetheyorky » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:20 pm

Hi Lynsmith

I am not sure your english is quite good enough - you wouldn't be an agent would you?

loz
Super User!
Super User!

Postby loz » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:25 pm

apart from 2 typos the english was far better than the majority of posts on this website :)

LynSmith

to stevetheyorky

Postby LynSmith » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:28 pm

I am not english by origin

I am from Germany, married to an Englishman for four years now.

njw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby njw » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:28 pm

Yeah, but i still think its a" gotcha" Loz.
Read the next post

loz
Super User!
Super User!

Postby loz » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:30 pm

maybe :)
does it really matter?

Bo

Postby Bo » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:11 pm

Ultimately both Borovets and Pamporovo were initially developed as Alps-type skiing resorts proper and the powers that be even under the previous regime had enogh foresight not to turn them into monstrously overbuilt chav holdiday destinations/dorms.

No considerable amount of money has been invested in the resorts over the past decade because both are in the midst of natural reserves and there is heated public debate in Bulgaria whether or not sacrificing that to unmitigated commercial development is a really good option.

Back in the old days Bansko (charming as it is) was just a village and a skiing vacation for those who couldn't afford better. Things have changed but in the long run Borovets and Pamporovo have a lot more breadth to them than Bansko. At least in my biassed and unprofessional opinion ....

Return to “Property Buying/Selling Advice”