Visas and Residency_ From Jan 1st 2007

Confused? Hopefully less so after you have read this lot!

Moderator: Moderator

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:52 am

The EHIC site contains a declaration that the applicant normally lives at a UK address.

Yonderpixie
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Yonderpixie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:05 pm

Thanks

Could I employ my wife (and I?) in my Bulgarian company so she would pay noi into the Bulgarian Health Service? Would this be accepted?

She would apply for residence as the spouse of an EU Citizen.

If not how can i take out a private insurance policy for about 60 UK pounds per annum?

mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:17 pm

Yonderpixie wrote:If not how can i take out a private insurance policy for about 60 UK pounds per annum?

Afraid I don't know about the technicalities of employing yourself and wife, but I suspect that if possible, it would open up several new cans of worms.

Getting a suitable private medical policy for your wife should be easy, if it's necessary, depending on where you are. Just go to an insurance agent and ask. It must provide a certain minimum coverage - from memory, I think it was about 30K euros of medical care when my girlfriend did one here in Russia.

kazz
<b>Country Advisor/Property Finder</b>

Postby kazz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:01 pm

Could I employ my wife (and I?) in my Bulgarian company so she would pay noi into the Bulgarian Health Service? Would this be accepted?

Is your wife a partner in the compnay? This may make a difference.

The answer seems to depend on the area of Bulgaria and the fashion of the week!
Myself and partner have been paying into the Bulgarian NHS for the last 4 (nearly 5 years).
We pay through the company as 'self-insured persons'. If we were formally 'employed' by the company the cost of this would go through the roof.
Our company is active, we're registered with a doctor in Bulgaria and have used the dental service without problems.
I know people in the Veliko Tarnovo area with 'non-active' companies who have done the same thing without problems.
People in other parts of Bulgaria have tried to do this and been refused.
Some people in VT area have been told by their accountants that what we're doing is not possible.
Since March First this year there has been a requirment for 33 months payment into the system over a period of 3 years to be eligible for the heath care service......this is difficult if your company has not been in existence for 3 years.

The imigration police here used to let people pay 12 months contributions in advance to the Bg NHS but I don't know if they still do.

If all this is clear to you you're a better man than I!!!

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:27 pm

The explanation may be, Kazz, that the law changed on 1 January 2007. I recalled seeing an article about it, and it is here.

http://news.ibox.bg/news/id_464732213

The general drift of the article seems to be that foreigners then had to become insured persons, but it is not suggested that is difficult, merely that you have to go and see the nice people at НАП who will sort it out and tell you what you have to pay.

But it is clear that it is not as simple as that or even possible for many people. There are plenty of threads on Bulgarian forums, especially the accountancy ones, detailing the Kafkaesque struggles of those professionals to get State Health Insurance for their EU Clients. Lee Darkwood on this site has posted in a similar vein. The problem seems to be that the legislation is only clear cut if you have got a permanent residence permit. (That's the one you allegedly get after 5 years residence as an EU citizen.) Otherwise you've got to make a case under the rules for co-ordination of social security schemes.

Foreigners visiting Bulgaria (apart from those covered by international agreements) have to take out a basic policy under the Ordinance for the General Conditions, Minimum Amount of Insurance, the Minimum Insurance Premium and the Procedure for Concluding a Mandatory Medical Insurance of Aliens who make a Short Stay in the Republic of Bulgaria or in Transit through the Country (adopted by Decree No 80 of 2005, publ. gazette, br.41 on May 13, 2005).

If you can say all that in one breath your vital capacity is probably all right! The minimum premium is 31 Euro for 90 days cover.

There are other threads detailing medical policies available for long residents. They all have more holes than a string bag and if you get sick there's no guarantee they will be renewed, though I suppose you could insure against that :D

As I understand it hospital treatment in Bulgaria cannot be refused on grounds of lack of insurance cover, it's just that you will get a bill. Or perhaps your estate.

I would say the moral is that nowadays if you can't arrive with an E form (apart from an EHIC) your stay and your medical insurance will both be insecure.

kazz

Postby kazz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:18 pm

Well yes,
I would agree that 2007 was part of it.....the day on which that which was compulsory became forbidden! Not sure if this was Kafkaesque or Orwellian!!! :D
It was leedarkwoods struggles that I was thinking of in my last post.

March this year has added another layer into the mix.....

The real problem is that nobody really seems to know! The rules change from place to place and day to day.

I think my point (if there was one) was that the whole situation is such a mess that whilst forums such as this can give guiedlines, pointer and ideas on how to argue your case, anyone who claims to have definive answers is just proving their naiveity about Bulgaria.
The only way to find out about the answers that will apply to you, in your circumstances, in your location and on the day you apply is to go and ask.

I'm not saying that this is the way things should be....just that it's the way they are.

Yonderpixie
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Bank Statement or letter?

Postby Yonderpixie » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:39 pm

Just received an email from EU Signpost about my non-EU wife and I application. Useful info.

"In order to settle on a long-term basis (i.e. for a period of more than 3 months up to 5 years) both you and your wife should apply for a long-term residence in Bulgaria. You should be issued a long-term residence certificate, while your wife - a long-term residence card. This is by virtue of Directive 2004/38/EC which Bulgaria has transposed in its ‘Law on Entry, Stay and Leave of Republic of Bulgaria of European Union Citizens and Members of their Families’.

The certificate is valid for 5 years from the date of issue. You should apply within 3 months following your entry in Bulgaria. Please note however that even if you had missed the deadline you could not be refused a long-term residence certificate on that ground only. If you are self-employed in Bulgaria at the time of the application, you should submit (1) evidence of economic activity and (2) a valid ID card or a passport. If your company is not economically active, you would need to submit evidence that you have (1) a comprehensive medical insurance cover and (2) that you have sufficient financial resources to cover the expenses for yours and your wife’s residence in Bulgaria without having recourse to the national social assistance system; and, again, (3) a valid ID card or a passport.

As to your wife: Your wife should apply for a residence card of a family member of Union citizen. Your wife’s term of long-tem residence will be fixed according to your term of long-term residence. She needs to produce a valid passport and evidence that she is your wife (i.e. marriage certificate).
For your information, once she becomes a holder of such residence card of a family member of a Union citizen, she would not need any visa any more in order to enter Bulgaria or any other EU member state (Artcile 10, Directive 2004/38/EC)."

Immigration requires a declaration from the bank that I have money in the account. How much money should I have in the account and should it be my personal bank account or company account? Would the bank know about this?

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Re: Bank Statement or letter?

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:25 pm

Yonderpixie wrote:Immigration requires a declaration from the bank that I have money in the account. How much money should I have in the account and should it be my personal bank account or company account? Would the bank know about this?

I'm sorry and perhaps Gimlet will say different, but as far as I understand teh rules of the EU, as an EU Citizen, Bulgaria does not have the right to ask you to show that you have money in the bank. To prove you have a bank account in Bulgaria is another thing and acceptable. I was asked the same last year, just to get a letter from my bank to prove that I have a bank account here in BG, BUT not to show any details of what I had/have on the account.

kazz

Postby kazz » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:34 pm

In Veliko Tarnovo they do ask for an official letter stating how much is in the bank. Something that the bank charges a large amount to supply!

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:34 pm

kazz wrote:The real problem is that nobody really seems to know! The rules change from place to place and day to day.

I think my point (if there was one) was that the whole situation is such a mess that whilst forums such as this can give guiedlines, pointer and ideas on how to argue your case, anyone who claims to have definive answers is just proving their naiveity about Bulgaria.
The only way to find out about the answers that will apply to you, in your circumstances, in your location and on the day you apply is to go and ask.

I'm not saying that this is the way things should be....just that it's the way they are.

Actually Kazz, I have forgotten what this thread is about now. :lol:

You are right of course, but when there is an EU Directive that supersedes Bulgaria's interpretation of the rules to suit its own pen pushers then, you can get satisfaction, eventually, through organisations such as SOLVIT.

I'm owed quite a bit of back pay from Bulgaria both financially and in terms of stress put upon us for their total disregard of EU Directives when it comes to issuing Family Member entry visas for non EU Citizens married to EU citizens. I actually don't need the help of Bulgaria at this present time as my Wife is IN, but my follow-up might help other folk in the same situation in the future.

Return to “Visas, Residency & Registration”