The My Bulgaria Visa Guide

Confused? Hopefully less so after you have read this lot!

Moderator: Moderator

yankv8
Super User!
Super User!

visa or not.........NOT !

Postby yankv8 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:23 pm

Ah! Like i said, if your an EU citizen your allowed to travel freely,aquire work and recieve most benifits.credit where it's due....... 8) maybe i should change my name lol 8O

milly

Postby milly » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:47 am

mod
I think i understand the 90 day rule!!!
Am i right in thinking i can visit in march up to 90 days,then i am okay to visit again in august of the same year up to 90 days?
This is my understanding
milly

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:40 am

My understanding, too, milly.

As a matter of interest the Bulgarian government has decided in the last few weeks to amend the law relating to the stay of EU nationals and (I think) to make more detailed implementing regulations. So it would pay to keep an eye on the situation, though the Bulgarians are unable to unilaterally change the underlying EU Treaty rights of residence, any more than UK can.

They could, however, stop British people working in Bulgaria (as the UK has done), although there is no sign of that. That refers to working as an employee, not as a self-employed person.

milly

Postby milly » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:23 pm

We have booked the flights to come over in march, then we return to the uk in may.We then want to go back in august both visits will not exceed the 90 days.Do you understand the same as me that we therefore should not need a visa?This is my understanding.
milly

vall74

don't worry

Postby vall74 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:40 pm

It has been covered many times, but I will repeat. There are two laws about foreigners in bulgaria. One law covers EU citizens and their family members, the other law covers all other foreigners. The 90 days in six months DOES NOT apply to EU and their family members.
There are amendments in coming in one of the laws that covers non EU citizens. That doesn't apply to british and other eu and their family members.

Some of the amendments coming are:
foreigners(non EU) will need to invest 750 000 to get permanent residency through investment. Again nothing is changing for EU citizens now. That law is not gonna be amended.

So, the only reference about 90 days in 6 months is in the Foreigners ACT(this law does not apply to EU citizens and their family members)

milly

Postby milly » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:44 pm

Vall74
Thankyou for that all helps in understanding.
Milly

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:39 pm

That law is not gonna be amended.

Well, it should be, Vall74, because it's not EU compliant. There is no provision for a permanent residence certificate after holding a long term residence certificate for 5 years.

However this article, though not published by an arm of the BG government, indicates that the Bulgarians do know what the EU law is and intend to follow it. Note that EU nationals have residence "certificates", not "permits". That follows the terminology in the relevant EU Directive.

http://www.investbulgaria.com/BulgarianResidencePermits.php

shebry
Super User!
Super User!

Postby shebry » Fri May 15, 2009 7:33 pm

gimlet wrote:
That law is not gonna be amended.

Well, it should be, Vall74, because it's not EU compliant. There is no provision for a permanent residence certificate after holding a long term residence certificate for 5 years.

However this article, though not published by an arm of the BG government, indicates that the Bulgarians do know what the EU law is and intend to follow it. Note that EU nationals have residence "certificates", not "permits". That follows the terminology in the relevant EU Directive.

http://www.investbulgaria.com/BulgarianResidencePermits.php

Property visa, Sofia Echo today 15th May. Looking good for the Russians

buryan
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Permanent Residence for Non EU

Postby buryan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:41 pm

vall74 wrote:Some of the amendments coming are:
foreigners(non EU) will need to invest 750 000 to get permanent residency through investment. Again nothing is changing for EU citizens now. That law is not gonna be amended.

Hi Vall74,

What you quoted worries me as i'm a non EU. Here's my background info :

I'm a permanent resident currently living in the UK. I still hold the passport from a non-EU country.

I have visited Bulgaria many times and do not need a visa for the visit. My partner and i have set up company to buy property. He's a British citizen but we are not in civil or legal partnership. We plan to move and live in Bulgaria permanently.

Questions :

Will there be a problem for me to get permanent residency in Bulgaria because of the new law you mentioned ? I would rather getting the residency without relying on my partner's status as we are not legally partnered.

Hope you can answer my question above. Thank you.

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:13 pm

It seems that such rights as permanent resident (in the sense of EU permanent residence) third country nationals have to transfer their residence to another EU state are to be found in this Directive.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 09:EN:HTML

The UK, Ireland and Denmark did not sign up to it. A bit of a block, I should have thought, since if UK does not grant it, there is no status to transfer or certainty of returnability, which will be of concern to the second (receiving) Member State.

As a separate issue, asylum can be transferred in certain circumstances, if that's relevant.

I would ask an EU organ if I were you. Surely it's important enough for that?

Return to “Visas, Residency & Registration”