Passport Requirements

Confused? Hopefully less so after you have read this lot!

Moderator: Moderator

dinos

Passport Requirements

Postby dinos » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:21 am

Hi All,

I am coming over to Bulgaria at the end of this month and am staying until the 11th August and one of my childrens passport is due to expire on the 25th September. Could anyone tell me if I need to renew his passport before I go on my hols or will it be okay to do it on my return.

I have tried to ring the Bulgarian embassy but they are only open for 2 hours each day are and constantly engaged.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dinos

gushter
Super User!
Super User!

Postby gushter » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:27 am

Here is what is written on the latest Foreign & Commonwealth Office Country Advice for Bulgaria:

"Passport Validity
British citizens holding valid passports can enter Bulgaria for up 3 months, and have the right to stay longer if exercising an EU Treaty right, although you will need to register with the police. Prior to travelling you should ensure that your passport has a validity of six months beyond the end of your intended stay. Damaged passports will not be accepted."

It is always good to check this website before travelling as it is regularly updated and has the latest important information for the country. The link is:

www.fco.gov.uk/Passport_Validity

Trogg

Postby Trogg » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:28 am

Hi Dinos, my husband went over to BG in April, he had to get new passport because he only had 4 months left on his and was told he needed to have 6 months left on his passport when he returned, hope this helps.

Trogg

Freda

Passport renewal

Postby Freda » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:33 am

Hi Dinos

No expert on this but would definitely NOT trust the Bulgarian Embassy. I have spoken to them several times in the past and got conflicting advice. I think that the previous respondent is right and you need more than the few weeks left on your child's passport. Bite the bullet and get a new one!

dinos

Postby dinos » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:38 am

Hi,

Many thanks for the quick responses, as you say best to play safe and get the new passport now.

Cheers,

Dinos

Simonita
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Simonita » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:06 am

"Bite the bullet and get a new one" should probably be take out a mortgage and get a new one judging by latest price increases!

Freda

Visas. Residency & Registration

Postby Freda » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:37 pm

Hi Dinos

Been making enquiries. Trogg is right, you do need to have at least six months left on your passport before you leave the country. Doesn't matter if you only have a week's holiday or 5 months - that six months must be there.

Javed
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Re: Visas. Residency & Registration

Postby Javed » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:26 pm

Hi Dinos
You can renew your British passport nine months before the expiry date the new passport will have 10 years plus two months in your children's passport which will be added on from the old passport
Javed

Freda

Passports

Postby Freda » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:43 am

His Dinos/Everyone who has contributed

My granddaughter is 11 years of age. Her passport is until 2008. When this expires, she will need another another passport until she is 16 years of age (not a ten-year passport). After that, she can apply for a ten-year passport. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Trogg

Postby Trogg » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:54 am

Hi Freda, I think you are right, my eldest daughter is 16 and has 2 years left on her passport when this expires she will have a 10 year one. My youngest is 13 and her passport expires the same time and will have to have another passport for 5 years.

Trogg

Return to “Visas, Residency & Registration”