Passport Requirements

Confused? Hopefully less so after you have read this lot!

Moderator: Moderator

Liliana

Postby Liliana » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:50 pm

Thanks for your replies and advice but I am now, as they say, sorted :)

allet
<b>Property Sales/Rentals</b>

Re: Passport Requirements

Postby allet » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:25 pm

dinos wrote:Hi All,

I am coming over to Bulgaria at the end of this month and am staying until the 11th August and one of my childrens passport is due to expire on the 25th September. Could anyone tell me if I need to renew his passport before I go on my hols or will it be okay to do it on my return.

I have tried to ring the Bulgarian embassy but they are only open for 2 hours each day are and constantly engaged.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dinos

I am in a similar position. Mine expires at the end of June 2010 and I am due to travel mid February to Bulgaria.

The fco website and Bulgarian embassy websites state 3 months so I will be ok but I am worried as most countries appear to be 6 months.

Help please!

Thanks

Liliana

Postby Liliana » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:08 pm

allet wrote:I am in a similar position. Mine expires at the end of June 2010 and I am due to travel mid February to Bulgaria.

The fco website and Bulgarian embassy websites state 3 months so I will be ok but I am worried as most countries appear to be 6 months.

Help please!

Thanks

I'm under the impression that to travel within the EU/Europe you need at least 6 months on your passport and for broader travel it's 12 months. I've always assumed it's for the purposes on the lines of getting into anything like ill-health, 'trouble', etc...

I am not quoting or stating, but the 3 month period, to me suggests is that you are allowed to stay in that EU country without visa for that amount of time so long as you have at least 6 months on your passport.

Personally I wouldn't travel without at least 6 months on my passport and take the risk...

Take care and get more information I think but who am I to advise?

:)

allet
<b>Property Sales/Rentals</b>

Postby allet » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:11 pm

Liliana wrote:
allet wrote:I am in a similar position. Mine expires at the end of June 2010 and I am due to travel mid February to Bulgaria.

Help please!

Thanks

I'm under the impression that to travel within the EU/Europe you need at least 6 months on your passport and for broader travel it's 12 months. I've always assumed it's for the purposes on the lines of getting into anything like ill-health, 'trouble', etc...

I am not quoting or stating, but the 3 month period, to me suggests is that you are allowed to stay in that EU country without visa for that amount of time so long as you have at least 6 months on your passport.

Personally I wouldn't travel without at least 6 months on my passport and take the risk...

Take care and get more information I think but who am I to advise?

:)

Thanks for replying!

Yes I thought that it was 6 months but it said here:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-liv ... ments&pg=4

Passport validity
The Bulgarian Embassy in London advises all citizens, including EU citizens, to ensure that their passports are valid for at least three months after their departure from Bulgaria.

When booking I just went on the above advice, you would think that Bulgarian embassy advice on the FCO website was valid but hey nothing to do with Bulgaria surprises me nowadays!

I know research that Italy and Spain have no requirements and Spain is 3 months, these are all EU countries.

Allet

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:18 pm

Online application

https://passports.ips.gov.uk/epa1r1a/index.aspx?c=1

They then send the completed form to your UK address.

Return to “Visas, Residency & Registration”