END OF LONG STAY CARD!

Confused? Hopefully less so after you have read this lot!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:49 am

I think the title of this thread should be changed :D
The long stay card is here to stay it has many shapes and the prerequisites vary for no reason but its all the same thing.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:14 pm

постоянно is the word the permanent EU residence certificate/card should have on it. The card will have an expiry date of 10 years but the status has no expiry date because it's, well, постоянно.

The first, time limited, certificate/card card is for продължително пребиваване which I suspect is best translated as "extended stay". That doesn't stop it being translated as "permanent stay" unfortunately. I've also seen "durable" and "long term".

Technically, neither certificate/card gives you the right to stay. That right arises from the EU Treaties. These certificates/cards merely certify that right.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
juliea

Postby juliea » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:09 pm

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:14 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

постоянно is the word the permanent EU residence certificate/card should have on it. The card will have an expiry date of 10 years but the status has no expiry date because it's, well, постоянно.

According to the boss at Dobrich Immigration the card will only be issued for the life of you EHIC......in other words 5 years at best!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:05 pm

Once you've got your постоянно you should not need to show that you have health insurance and will not be a burden on the social security system.

Maybe the boss of Dobrich immigration needs a spot of EU "re-education" :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Oscar
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Oscar » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:09 pm

juliea wrote:Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:14 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the boss at Dobrich Immigration the card will only be issued for the life of you EHIC......in other words 5 years at best!

I thought EHIC was only for use by people with a UK residence and covered them if they were visiting other countries,why would it be relevent to people living full time in Bulgaria?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
juliea

Postby juliea » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:15 pm

According to Dobrich Immigration it is a legal requirement to prove health insurance before ANY type of card is issued.

Personally I disagree with this, but what can you do, that's the way Dobrich have interpreted the law and that is how they are operating. Will be interesting to see what happens as a number of people in the area are coming to the end of the white 5 year cards and cannot get another EHIC given they do not reside or have access to a UK address.

Frankly the whole thing is a friggin' farce.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Liliana

Postby Liliana » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:40 pm

juliea wrote:Frankly the whole thing is a friggin' farce.

Totally agree there this thread has gone round in so many circles I'm getting dizzy! :lol:

I can see where the Bulgarian authorities are coming from though. A foreigner being given 'permanent' status (and I use that term loosely) why should they not have health insurance? The health infrastrucure here for the Bulgarians is already suffering.

There are plenty of private hospitals/doctors which I believe are usually very good according to other peoples experiences.

Mines due next January so think the best option is to get private health and be done with it. Good for peace of mind also. :roll:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
kazz
<b>Country Advisor/Property Finder</b>

Postby kazz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:59 pm

If I've read the thread correctly....(doubtful!)
Dobrich are saying that after 5 years you can pay into the Bulgarian system but have to back pay 6 months.....I understood that law to have changed even for Bulgarians last year and you now have to have paid 30 months of the last 36 before you can claim on Bulgarian equivalent of NHS.
Once you have paid the required period (be it 6 months or 30!) why shouldn't you claim if you've contributed.

It's VT immigration stating that you need to prove income for permanent residency who are confusing me....I didn't think that was an EU requirement though I admit it's the way it seems to be written into the Bulgarian law..... :?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
parkersd
Super User!
Super User!

Postby parkersd » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:03 pm

As Juliea says it is a farce. We were at the same meeting with the immigration department but also brought up the subject of health cover. We were told that we could pay into the Bulgarian health system even though hubby and I were told, after 2 years of paying into it, that we weren't supposed to as we hadn't been here 5 years.
I disagree Liliana as we have paid our dues in the UK and should be entitled to health care here as we are all in Europe now! But we don't mind paying into it, if we are allowed!

Sorry MOD, bit off thread I know but felt it was necessary to confirm what Juliea has said, I believe there is another thread somewhere about the health cover?
Sue

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Liliana

Postby Liliana » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:07 pm

parkersd wrote:I disagree Liliana as we have paid our dues in the UK and should be entitled to health care

Paid in the UK for treatment in the UK. When I made the decision to move out of England I took it for granted I would not have cover EU or not. Why put a burden on an already struggling health care when never paid a penny into it?

Right I'm off now think I may be in trouble. :oops:

Return to “Visas, Residency & Registration”