END OF LONG STAY CARD!

Confused? Hopefully less so after you have read this lot!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
parkersd
Super User!
Super User!

Postby parkersd » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:14 pm

I totally agree Liliana,maybe I phrased it wrongly as, when we moved out here we didn't expect to get health cover direct from the country. All I meant was that, as the UK and Bulgaria are in the EU that there is presumably a reciprocal arrangement.

Hubby & I would be quite happy (and have until we were told we couldn't anymore!) to pay into the system.
Sue

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Liliana

Postby Liliana » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:45 pm

parkersd wrote:I totally agree Liliana,maybe I phrased it wrongly as, when we moved out here we didn't expect to get health cover direct from the country. All I meant was that, as the UK and Bulgaria are in the EU that there is presumably a reciprocal arrangement.

Hubby & I would be quite happy (and have until we were told we couldn't anymore!) to pay into the system.
Sue

I have searched for the relevant thread on this but (sorry MOD) can't find it.

OK so you paid into the UK NHS from probably a tender age and now you are entitiled to health care, pension, being looked after generally.

However... don't know your age but why should someone in thier later years (like me?) begin to pay for something that Bulgarians have been paying all thier lives and getting little for it? I have experiences of this and what's on offer. Private health is definitely the way to go! Or a flight back to where you have paid your dues... :roll:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:56 pm

Liliana wrote:I have searched for the relevant thread on this but (sorry MOD) can't find it.

Liliana, you need one of these, we think:

http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php? ... &start=168

http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php? ... 39&start=0

http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php? ... e&start=28

We understand that the discussion regarding the Long Stay and other residency cards involves the healthcare issues to some extent but please let's not let this topic go off at a tangent.

Thanks. Mod 8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:44 pm

When we applied for the 5 yr white card we were not asked to show our EHIC or any health insurance, as I remember people in other areas were asked to produce them and we wondered why we never had to.

Nikki

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Blackpepper

Postby Blackpepper » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:34 pm

DANNIA wrote:When we applied for the 5 yr white card we were not asked to show our EHIC or any health insurance, as I remember people in other areas were asked to produce them and we wondered why we never had to.

Nikki

From what I have read in this thread about the Heath Care cover is almost comparable to property and land ownership. Basically, unless you are Bulgarian then you are considered a foreign national. Sure you can enjoy any benefits providing you pay for them. Therefore the reciprocal arrangement that supposedly exists is imaginary for the foreign nationals, but an absolute right if you are a BG national, visiting the UK. This means that anyone having difficulties with BG authorities should cite the European Directive concerning "EQUAL TREATMENT", notably Directive 2000/43/EC.
Once the message is conveyed then the authorities will understand that at some stage they must comply. EQUAL TREATMENT is a fundamental human right and also covered by Article 8 of the European Court for Human Rights (Respect for Private Life).

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:27 pm

That Directive wouldn't get you very far, because it does not cover difference of treatment based on nationality.

The drum to beat would be the "no less favourable treatment" provisions of the Treaties that give the basic rights of freedom of movement and establishment..

So, assuming for the sake of argument that the UK National Health Service is generous, a Bulgarian must be treated as generously as a Brit if both are eligible for NHS treatment.

Conversely if the Bulgarian system is crap a Brit cannot complain if he is treated as crappily as a Bulgarian.

If the Bulgarian system is based on pay as you go insurance and the Brit system is based on residence that's all part of life's rich pageant :wink:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
elaine48
Super User!
Super User!

Postby elaine48 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:23 am

Good morning everyone - I am sure this has been posted elsewhere but hubby and I are feeling really positive this morning Having girded our loins in preparation for a dreadful ordeal at the immigration office in Sliven in an attempt to get our horrid white card converted to the new Lichna Carta - IT WAS A DODDLE. No trouble at all and we only have minimal language skills. HERE'S HOW:
Bypass the queues waiting outside and go to the security guy inside his little office. Say 'as iskum nova lichna carta molia'. He will point up the stairs and say 'ftori etage' or similar which means the second floor. Directly in front of the stairs on second (to us this would actually be the first floor but it has a sign saying 2 something) is an old door (not the shiny glass one to the right). Knock and go in. Two charming ladies there speak no english but just show them your old white card and they will understand. They dug out our old files from the previous application for the white card, transferred the data, told us to sit in the little photo booth there in the office and look at the camera. With a bit of gesticulation the lady got us positioned correctly, took the photo, asked us to sign on a computer pad thing and that was basically all. Oh I forgot - we had to go back outside the building to the cash office to pay. I asked her to write instructions for the bank clerk and she scribbled them on a slip of paper. With her note we had no problems at all paying for the service - 18 leva for about a month or 36 to get the cards in about 2 weeks. All in and out within an hour - and this was during the lunch hour!!!
Would advise everyone to do the same (can't speak for other Districts of course) and well done to the Sliven Municipality for getting their acts together and making it a good experience for a couple of old codgers.
By the way when we then went to the dreaded KAT to exchange our UK driving licences for Bulgarian ones (another story, but equally non-stressful) and mentioned we had just been to Immigration for the new Lichna Carta - they immediately pulled up our details on the computer screen and lo and behold our new number was there and helped the process wonderfully.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
kazz
<b>Country Advisor/Property Finder</b>

Postby kazz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:25 am

Elaine....that's for sharing; it's nice to have some good news. I'm just wondering if, when I next have to go to the Veliko Tarnovo office I dare to ask them 'Why can't you be as efficient as the people in Sliven?! :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
vall74

Postby vall74 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:00 am

Elaine, did they let you keep the white laminated card as well? They told my wife that she should keep the white laminated card when they gave her her photo id in Plovdiv.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
elaine48
Super User!
Super User!

Postby elaine48 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:58 am

Hi Vall74. Yes we kept out white cards but maybe that is because we have to wait for our new cards and would be without anything for a couple of weeks. Sorry don't know if we keep them as well as the new ones.
And Kazz - NO. sense of humour not usual in any beaurocrats!!!!!

Return to “Visas, Residency & Registration”