Residency when only renting property?

Confused? Hopefully less so after you have read this lot!

Moderator: Moderator

bulgarphil

residency

Postby bulgarphil » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:03 pm

Although some time ago, when I was asked for proof of bank account and funds they accepted slip from an ATM,

kazz
<b>Country Advisor/Property Finder</b>

Postby kazz » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:09 pm

It varies from area to area of course, here I suspect that staying with family would be fine; but they'd ask for a letter from the family confirming that they were letting you stay there....

As to an ATM bank slip serving as proof of income....you lucky person!! :lol: :lol:

haddockman

Postby haddockman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:24 pm

I suspect they would want the family members to appear at the police station with their EGN cards.

I will have a chat with the accountant tomorrow about getting a rental contract drawn up.

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:30 pm

haddockman wrote:I suspect they would want the family members to appear at the police station with their EGN cards.

I will have a chat with the accountant tomorrow about getting a rental contract drawn up.

Just download an example one from the Internet. I would have happily sent you mine, but it is on the other Laptop that fried in the caravan during 45 degrees of heat and I can't get anything off the hard disk.

Surely somebody must have an Tenancy Agreement they have used here and can email you. If you can't get hold of one, I'll get mine scanned, uploaded and emailed to you, but it might be a few days as my Wife has just done another wagon train ration run into Karnobat.

carriemc
<b>Rental Agent</b>

Postby carriemc » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:31 pm

Have a look at this one, kindly supplied free by Edinburgh District Council

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/downloads/d ... _agreement

Caroline

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:12 pm

To try to use an English or Scottish residential tenancy agreement in Bulgaria would be singularly unwise. Any Bulgarian judge who comes across an agreement purporting to grant an assured shorthold tenancy under the provisions of the UK Housing Act 1988 is likely to start chewing the carpet with rage, I should have thought.

There is a Bulgarian one here, with copious notes which would repay careful study along with the relevant provisions of the ЗЗД (ЗАКОН ЗА ЗАДЪЛЖЕНИЯТА И ДОГОВОРИТЕ - Law of Obligations and Contracts).

http://contract.bg/content/view/28/58/

Obviously prime points for the landlord to consider are whether the tenant could in any circumstances achieve security of tenure beyond that provided for by the contract and whether it is possible to impose restrictions on subletting.

A case for local legal advice, I would have thought.

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:46 pm

gimlet wrote:To try to use an English or Scottish residential tenancy agreement in Bulgaria would be singularly unwise. Any Bulgarian judge who comes across an agreement purporting to grant an assured shorthold tenancy under the provisions of the UK Housing Act 1988 is likely to start chewing the carpet with rage, I should have thought.

There is a Bulgarian one here, with copious notes which would repay careful study along with the relevant provisions of the ЗЗД (ЗАКОН ЗА ЗАДЪЛЖЕНИЯТА И ДОГОВОРИТЕ - Law of Obligations and Contracts).

http://contract.bg/content/view/28/58/

Obviously prime points for the landlord to consider are whether the tenant could in any circumstances achieve security of tenure beyond that provided for by the contract and whether it is possible to impose restrictions on subletting.

A case for local legal advice, I would have thought.

Fair dues Gimlet, there are of course all of those risks involved and why I suggested a little 'poetic license' in the preparation of a suitable tenancy agreement. If the true owner 'never' signed it then, I assume it wouldn't stand up in a court of law should the tenant wish to outstay his/her welcome. At the end of the day, it is only to suffice the Bulgarian immigration authorities that you have a place to stay whilst in Bulgaria. As far as I understand EU regulations, Bulgaria doesn't even have a right to throw you out even if you don't or, even if you don't register yourself within the 90 day limit although, there could be some fine in line with what a National would receive for a similar offence.

As you will see, the OP is pretty stumped for everything without that 'Short Term Residency' card as he can't even get himself a contract with Bulsat unless someone in that thread has come up with an answer.

I would assume that even if the 'owners' gave some sort of letter stating that the OP could stay in their house for one year then that in itself, would form some sort of binding contract if all went sour?

At the end of the day, download, edit out all the UK stuff as required, buy a company stamp, they cost a few Lev, stamp it, sign it, get it translated, submit it and if it is accepted, problem over, if it is not...... what could be the worst punishment for forging a document that was only meant to prove one had a roof over one's head?

Non EU citizens are doing it all the time with Hotel headed stationery to obtain Visas. :roll:

haddockman

Postby haddockman » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:47 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I will have to tackle this from another angle. I will ask a translator to see if the police would accept a letter saying we have use of the house for x period of time.

Also are there any consequences if you simply don't bother registering at all?

Return to “Visas, Residency & Registration”