Bulgarian passport

Confused? Hopefully less so after you have read this lot!

Moderator: Moderator

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Re: Uncle B

Postby Mat » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:53 am

mihangel wrote:It's reassuring to read that Boiko Borisov is open and welcome to British Bulgarian residents asking for Bulgarian citizenship. However he did not say whether the applicants would still be required to give up their UK nationality. I would guess that most Brits would be very reluctant to do this.

You can have dual citizenship. I'd have no problem giving up my British citizenship right this moment, although I'd probably regret it when I'm old and in need of the NHS.

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:45 am

Borisov hasn't said anything new: anyone who can meet the criteria is welcome to apply - but he hasn't said that any of the current requirements will be relaxed in any way...

mihangel
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mihangel » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:02 pm

The requirement that is bothering me is as follows:

Section III Acquisition of Bulgarian Citizenship through Naturalization.

Article 12 Any person who is not a Bulgarian citizen may acquire Bulgarian citizenship if as of the date of filing an application for naturalization:

6. (New SG No. 41/2000) was released from his/her previous citizenship or will be released from his/her citizenship as of the moment of acquiring the Bulgarian citizenship.

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:07 am

My research came to the same clause as yours did mihangel

I did find a statement that dual nationality is possible but did not say who would qualify

Usually in other countries it is children born into different nationalities and not just anyone who chooses.

Maybe someone could clarify further?

MIK_bg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby MIK_bg » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:28 am

Usually you just not decline your original nationality and you are dual citizenship if both states permit it.

Bulgaria allows it, so does britain. No prob.

You can be a bulgabriton

MIK_bg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby MIK_bg » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:45 am

Errata : dual citizenship is not allowed for naturalization.

Only for bulgarian born acquiring a second or a descendant keeping their original citizenship while acquiring bulgarian one.

Wiki: Bulgaria allows its citizens to hold foreign citizenship in addition to their Bulgarian citizenship. Some countries, however, do not permit multiple citizenship e.g. adults who acquired Bulgarian and Japanese citizenship by birth must declare, to the latter's Ministry of Justice, before turning 22, which citizenship they want to keep.

mihangel
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mihangel » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:25 am

As I see it: if you were born in Bulgaria and have Bulgarian nationality from birth then you are entitled to apply for citizenship of another country and if successful you are then allowed dual nationality.

However if you apply for Bulgarian nationality as a result of being a resident for five years then it is required that you give up your previous nationality. Perhaps this taken as an indication to the authorities that you are genuine and serious.

If Mr Borisov is sincere in what he says then he should relax this requirement. It might be possible to relax it just for UK citizens, given what has occurred. No other country has ever left the EU. (Other than Greenland, who left the EC).

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:40 am

I think Boyko was having a bit of an ironic chuckle to himself given the ride the UK gave to Romania and Bulgaria in 2012

Of course he would ask what is the new UK going to offer Bulgarians, thats the first thing I would ask.

mihangel
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mihangel » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:57 pm

I absolutely agree with you. The first rule of diplomacy is tit-for-tat.

Rather than hoping for a Bulgarian passport I am now considering the possibility of renting some rooms in North Ayrshire (the cheapest place), in anticipation of being granted a future Scottish EU passport. It is ironic that in order to continue living somewhere warm and dry one must consider going somewhere cool and wet, although there is the gulf stream in Ayrshire so it never gets really cold, and it is also very beautiful.

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:15 pm

I have been considering this for a while having worked in Dundee and Edinburgh in recent years, though not only for strategic reasons, its a good country, I lived in Broughty Ferry and recently Roslin,Edinburgh temporarily up to a couple of weeks ago.

But mihangel if England left and Scotland stayed why would this be an advantage,you would be in the same position as you would in BG which is something that dawned on me yesterday........as an English passport holder I would not be entitled to anything more in Scotland than in BG

Return to “Visas, Residency & Registration”