what health cover do you have

Information about Doctors, Dentists, Hospital facilities and all aspects of health care & Insurance.

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

what health cover do you have

Postby leedarkwood » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:28 am

NEW THREAD (edited by Mod)

Nonez asked Saturday:

what cover have you if any ??

i have been trying to get good info on reasonable medical insurance to cover us if we went to live in bg with not much success.we went over for a month at the end of august and while there talked to a lot of brits who are there pemanantly and was supprised to find that none of them had made any provison with regards to medical insurance i can tell you i was a little shocked.the reason i an doing this post is that my brother age 47 none smoker lite drinker went to spain 2 wees ago and while there had a massive heart attack acualy died at on stage but was resuscitated ..to cut a long story short he had to have three stems put into his arterys and with out this treatment would not be here now .i doubt this sort of treatment would be available on the bg nhs and the cost to go private would be horrendous.he is back in the uk now and his doctor told him the cost to have one stem done in the uk would be 37,000 pounds and the cost of the air ambulance 100,000 pounds .his holiday covers 10,000,000.if he had not had this i dread to think what would have happened.i would be interested to know what provison others on here have made or is everyone just hoping nothing happens.??????????????

Hi Nonez

If you are over pensionable age you are covered here and if you are working or have a working company then you pay your NOI and you are covered. It is only those who move here permanently before pension age that are also not working that need to get private health cover, which is propably a minority of those living here. Idon't know if you can opt in to pay NOI if you are not working. Allianz do reasonable health cover at an affordable amount, and there are other threads about this.

Lee

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:40 am

Hiya Nonez
sorry to hear about your brother and hope he is making a good recovery.
Maybe have a look at Mick and others experiences here
http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php? ... art+attack

Nikki

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Salamander

Postby Salamander » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:33 am

My son has recently moved out to Bulgaria ( whether this is long term or short term he has not decided yet)
He is working doing up houses in a company owned jointly by my husband, a friend, and by my son (althogh he only has a very small share).
Should he be taking out some interim health cover?
They have only just started working though the company was set up early this year and have no income as yet, and no accounts will be done until early next year.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:22 pm

Lee
If you are 'economically inactive' and below pension age you can choose to make voluntary contributions to NOI that will get you BG NHS cover. This is important since private cover will NOT normally cover pre-existing conditions. I would say do that AND get some private cover, not necessarily from a BG provider. Some of the 'mutuals' in the UK do good deals, eg Exeter Friendly. (A 'mutual' is a financial institution owned by its members - a 'coop' registered under the Friendly Society Acts.)

It may be that you have to be a long-term resident to make voluntary contributions to BG NHS. Worth checking out.
Last edited by scot47 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
nonez
Super User!
Super User!

Postby nonez » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:06 pm

i doubt bg nhs would give very good cover and i have yet to see uk isurers who do good cheep cover the ones i have seen has been £2500 upwards thats for one person.surly there must be at least one of you on here that has cover..or is there??????????

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
IAN49
Super User!
Super User!

Postby IAN49 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:16 pm

Lee
the Allianz no longer do this cover in fact i was advised to go private when i went to renew mine two weeks ago.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Adolf
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Adolf » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:14 am

Sorry. Finger trouble.
Last edited by Adolf on Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Adolf
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Adolf » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:14 am

There's a lot more information available now and more of it is in English. The only plan that I have seen that looked remotely reassuring was on this site

http://www.bzf.bg/en/

Click on "new offer" and scroll down the pdf to find the combined scheme with upper limits for foreign residents. About £40 per month.

These links might also repay study:

http://www.need.bg/en/?c=54

http://www.nhif.bg/eng/default.phtml

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:37 am

And note with the BZF scheme that those who have cover under NOI make lower contributions.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mickw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mickw » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:46 am

The BG national Health cover is good, I recently had a multiple bypass operation in Tukuda hospital in Sophia, the top hospital in the balkans. I had to go private, but they do BG National Health work.I was told if I had been making contributions to BG NHS I would have got my treatment free of charge. Needless to say I am now looking to make these contributions.

Mick

Return to “Medical & Health Care”