Legal rights if dog bites you and chance of rabies?

Information about Doctors, Dentists, Hospital facilities and all aspects of health care & Insurance.

Moderator: Moderator

GarryN
Super User!
Super User!

Legal rights if dog bites you and chance of rabies?

Postby GarryN » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:32 am

I know in the UK you have rights and rabies but what if a BG dog bites when you go for a walk on a legal highway and you are bitten on the ankles by what is probably a working dog (not working at the time) and what is the chance of rabies? I was bitten three times and the boy once. Our dogs were on leads at the time. I don't want a make a problem as they are distant neighbours but all our dogs have passports and I hahe as yet to assertain if they have (unlikely). On a related point are there any sprays that are legal and effective against dogs?

Garry

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:33 am

Gary. Firstly if they broke the skin ?.

If so then I would at least get a tetanus jab.

If you read the stats on rabies (97% of rabies cases come from dog bites....40 cases a year in BG)

According to Novinte.

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=96217

Personal choice, if it was me and the bites were bad enough I would consider tetanus and rabies.

Good Luck :?

PS. Legal rights, even in BG, you can sue. Its happening a lot in Sofia at the moment with lots of succesful cases.

PPS: If you don't want to spend money on pepper spray or a Taser then use a bottle with a hole in the top full of water. Or the BG method, rocks.
Last edited by brianj42 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:36 am

depends on exactly where you are, but usually in a village if they are stray they can be shot, alternately, we had complaints about our dogs escaping and terrorising people (even though they only bark, not bite), we received a call from the mayor asking us politely to chain them up (which we did).

So if you are in a village probably the Kmet would be a good first stop, especially if you know who the owners are, second stop is a gun which should stop them doing anything.

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:40 am

spantrout wrote: second stop is a gun which should stop them doing anything.

Spantrout, you have been in Bg a while now haven't you :lol:

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:00 pm

brianj42 wrote
Spantrout, you have been in Bg a while now haven't you

Long enough apparently.

THEPOSSOM

Postby THEPOSSOM » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:05 pm

As brianj42 suggested, pepper spray or Taser are your best option, but in my opinion pepper spray is better, (some dogs won't leave you, unless you USE the taser by touching the dog with it,) :smt074 THE POSSUM

oldtimer
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby oldtimer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:41 pm

other half got bitten the other year on the leg, I think the dog was shot before he even had time to look how bad the bite was. Injections straight away for tetanus and rabies.

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:56 pm

Bedtime reading on cases in Bulgaria.

http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/disease ... pres_7.pdf

I think the concensus of opinion is to get both jabs.

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:58 pm

surely if you are trying to avoid a dog that's attacking you, then it's best not to reach out to the dog with a taser so it can bite you again.

12.5g lead released at high velocity

i have dogs, love dogs, but if a dog attacked me, then sorry, it's me or the dog

even if this was a working dog then there is no reason for it to be out by itself, where was the owner?

shoot first ask questions later

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:17 pm

I am told, but cannot quote the actual Bulgarian AKT or Law that the dog owner is responsible in such cases and can go to jail.

However, proving who owns the dog, (it'll get quickly disowned under such circumstances) is another thing.

I find that the 'working' Karachchans that are meant to be with their Shepherd and Sheep can sometimes be far from where they're meant to be. My dogs have had the odd run it with the 3 that roam around here and it cost me 70 Lev in Vets fees to have my female dog sown up and injected.

I told the Shepherd on his return that the next time I see them over on my territory, I'd shoot them. Can't say as it has made much difference although, now I'm in good relations with the Sheep owner and he keeps the sheep and their shepherd well away from my property now.

Worthwhile doing the Tetanus as already suggested. Not sure about Rabies, but perhaps you should check with a Doctor or a Vet first. It used to be some painful course of injections in the stomach, but I understand those days are now passed.

I still prefer a stout walking stick when out with the dogs, I defy anyone to withstand a whack over the head with it. :wink:

Return to “Medical & Health Care”