feverfew plants for migraines

Information about Doctors, Dentists, Hospital facilities and all aspects of health care & Insurance.

Moderator: Moderator

devondumpling

feverfew plants for migraines

Postby devondumpling » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:43 am

Suffered for years with migraine, but thought I'd finally grown out of it - wrong, it's back with a vengeance. Whilst in England, I had prescribed medication until I found there was something in it which youngsters were getting hooked on, then heard about Feverfew. The plants grow wild in hedgerows, but some folks have them in gardens. After a few months of eating three leaves each day, I noticed migraines getting fewer and less severe. Eventually, they virtually disappeared. I do wish I'd brought some of the plants with me! I know I can get seeds, but does anyone have plants from which I could beg cuttings? Bulgarian word for Feverfew is вратига

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:59 am

According to Google, they look like this: -

http://www.gardenguides.com/img-old/herbs/art/feverfew.jpg

devondumpling

Postby devondumpling » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:16 am

I know what they look like, Petal, I just want some!!!!

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:20 am

devondumpling wrote:I know what they look like, Petal, I just want some!!!!

Wasn't meant for you, it was for the rest of us that have never heard of this plant so that we might say, 'oh, I have that growing everywhere'. Unfortunately, I don't, but if you want some HEMP............ :wink:

devondumpling

Postby devondumpling » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:41 am

Well, if I can't get the feverfew, maybe I'll try some of your hemp! What does it do?

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:13 am

According to Flowers of Greece and the Balkans, feverfew is common throughout this region. However I can't find it in my Bulgarian herbal which surprises me. I would suggest you inquire by the latin name Tanacetum parthenium at a drugaria, a herbal chemist shop. I have found they usually have a handbook listing latin to Bulgarian names there.

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:41 pm

You can buy sticks of the stuff here, probably safer than using the leaves of the wild plant

http://apteka.framar.bg/30001818/%D0%B2 ... z1iIuM2mNo

In powdered form it gets rid of fleas and bedbugs and has been known to kill rats.

lyn
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby lyn » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:58 pm

gimlet wrote:You can buy sticks of the stuff here, probably safer than using the leaves of the wild plant

http://apteka.framar.bg/30001818/%D0%B2 ... z1iIuM2mNo

In powdered form it gets rid of fleas and bedbugs and has been known to kill rats.

That doesn't look like feverfew. The feverfew that I know is a white daisy type plant.

Lee, you have something that looks like it in your garden. I meant to check it out!

westwitch

Postby westwitch » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:28 pm

I think this is what you probably need until you can grow some plants of your own.

http://zdrave.framar.bg/%D1%82%D1%8A%D1 ... parthenium

The link Gimlet posted was for french marigolds possibly.

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:58 pm

The link Gimlet posted was for french marigolds possibly

It was for вратига, which is what OP asked about. However, that seems to translate as tansy, which is related to feverfew but probably not feverfew.

They are both close to chrysanthemum, which is the basis of many insecticides under the name pyrethrum. I should treat with caution!

Return to “Medical & Health Care”